IMDb Top 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyskin

Refugee
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

OK, first and foremost this thread isn't meant to be a debate on the merits of this list. I have issues with it as most people probably will too, but that's by the by.

Instead, how many have people seen? I first gave it a good long look a couple of years ago and I'd seen about half of them. Since then I decided to work my way through the rest as there seemed to be a whole load of stand out titles that for one reason or another I hadn't seen or even heard of yet.

Film wise, it was one of the best things I ever did. I saw a few that I didn't really agree with, but by and large it gave me a reason to finally sit down and see so many classics and open the door to many great directors and actors whose work I hadn't yet immeresed myself in. It also gave me a brilliant jumping off point to explore loads of films and back catalogues that weren't in this list but the star / director had just one or two films in that I enjoyed.

Anyway, anybody else looked at this list recently? Tried working down it like me? Have anything constructive to say beyond The Shawshank Redemption at #2, wtf?

Just glanced at the top ten. Shawshank # 2? Schindler's List in top ten? WTF! I'm pretty sure those who really lived the holocaust wish it was as nice as this film portrays it. Spielberg - fun stuff usually but way over-rated. Casablanca - a bit over-rated for me.

Maybe I'll check it out a bit closer later on, not that I know anything about what makes a film great. :lol:

But it does give one some stuff to look into :)

I've seen about a third of them, approx. 78. But many of those I can't remember, but I know I've seen during my lifetime :shrug:

I don't see some of my faves up there :shrug:

I've seen 120 of those on the list.

It's so funny though - American Gangster is 102. It's been out for a week.

And No Country For Old Men is on the list. It came out Friday. In limited release.

:lol:

I don't really have much to say about the list itself, per the point of the thread. There were quite a few foreign films on the list, and there are films I've seen from the list that I watched primarily because they were considered "classics" and I felt like I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Some of them I really enjoyed and others didn't keep my attention.

Last edited:
monkeyskin said:
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

OK, first and foremost this thread isn't meant to be a debate on the merits of this list. I have issues with it as most people probably will too, but that's by the by.

Instead, how many have people seen? I first gave it a good long look a couple of years ago and I'd seen about half of them. Since then I decided to work my way through the rest as there seemed to be a whole load of stand out titles that for one reason or another I hadn't seen or even heard of yet.

Film wise, it was one of the best things I ever did. I saw a few that I didn't really agree with, but by and large it gave me a reason to finally sit down and see so many classics and open the door to many great directors and actors whose work I hadn't yet immeresed myself in. It also gave me a brilliant jumping off point to explore loads of films and back catalogues that weren't in this list but the star / director had just one or two films in that I enjoyed.

Anyway, anybody else looked at this list recently? Tried working down it like me? Have anything constructive to say beyond The Shawshank Redemption at #2, wtf?

Going to watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly in Italian? :wink:

Ok

I did a check of the top 250

and I have seen 237

and most of them I saw in a theater on the big screen

I will be buying a 50 inch LCD soon

Then I may get to these 13

Metropolis (1927)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Seventh Seal (USA)
Salaire de la peur, Le (1953)
Yojimbo (1961
Ladri di biciclette (1948)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Wild Strawberries (UK) (USA)
The Gold Rush (1925)
No Country for Old Men (2007) will see in theater
Out of the Past (1947)
Hotaru no haka (1988)

Last edited:
About 130 at quick count.

It's such a fucked up list too. Terrible terrible formula they use for calculating it.

Some of the film in the top 100 are just completely ridiculous too.

What I haven't seen:

Downfall
Das Boot
The Seventh Seal (yeah, I know...)
Million Dollar Baby
Ran
Yojimbo
Bicycle Thieves
Finding Nemo
Battle of Algiers
Brief Encounter
Judgement at Nuremberg
Letters From Iwo Jima
No Country For Old Men
Snatch
The Ox-Bow Incident
Finding Neverland
Umberto D

So that's 233 of 250. Not bad, and I got up to #60 without missing one. Plus I'll be seeing No Country as soon as it opens where I'm working right now.

Those movies on the list that I have seen I've thought were very good although some of my very favourites aren't there. But it's difficult to argue that they should've made the cut - just because a movie strikes a chord with some people for whatever reason doesn't make it a universally acclaimed masterpiece.

I can completely understand Shawshank being ranked number two, and I can likewise understand the hiding that it cops for being so popular. Isn't that the same with anything that's adored by the masses?

I haven't seen nearly as many as I probably should have. There are just a lot that, despite their praise, never interested me in the slightest.

One day I'll get around to watching those 175 or so that I haven't seen. One day.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
What I haven't seen:

Downfall
Ran
Bicycle Thieves
Finding Nemo
Battle of Algiers
Brief Encounter
Judgement at Nuremberg
Umberto D

Boy oh boy laz, you've got some real treats in store for you whenever you get round to them. I haven't seen The Ox-Bow Incident or No Country For Old Men, but those are the pick of the rest IMO.

Likewise deep:

deep said:
Paths of Glory (1957)
Salaire de la peur, Le (1953)
Ladri di biciclette (1948)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Wild Strawberries (UK) (USA)
Hotaru no haka (1988)

Some of these I've only recently seen but they're all five star films.

DaveC said:
Going to watch The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly in Italian?

I've been meaning to watch it again for a while now, so we'll see :wink:

Well, I have to say I'm not a fan of Neo-Realism, so I'm not sure I'll be doing either De Sica anytime soon. I should probably have checked Bicycle Thieves off my list because I did see at least half of it in film school, though I only remember not liking it and couldn't describe it in any detail.

Thank you for removing Million Dollar Baby from your copy and list of upcoming treats. I have such a huge bias against this film going in it's not worth it, and I'm glad you aren't recommending it. But you aren't a fan of Yojimbo? I've heard good things.

Finding Nemo is also one of those that I might not see for a while. I'm not a big Pixar fan, save for Brad Bird's films and the two Toy Story films (which are still a tad overrated).

lazarus said:
But you aren't a fan of Yojimbo? I've heard good things.

Finding Nemo is also one of those that I might not see for a while. I'm not a big Pixar fan, save for Brad Bird's films and the two Toy Story films (which are still a tad overrated).

You're right, I'm not a fan of Yojimbo, or A Fistful of Dollars for that matter. Which is a shame because I really dig every oter Kurosawa I've seen and enjoyed For a Few Dollars More. I'd never say either was a bad film, they just didn't do anything for me.

And once you take out those Pixar films you're left with A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc. and Cars, hardly exemplary films in their catalogue and I don't think they would have as much lasting attention if they weren't. But Finding Nemo jostles with Toy Story 2 as my favourite Pixar and is a great film in it's own right.

I've seen 190 and maybe if I translated the foreign titles it would be 200. But most of the ones I haven't seen are foreign films.

Maybe we can get Deep to submit a list in the 50's & 60's thread :hmm:

And Lazarus, my only suggestion for you is to be sure to watch Das Boot with subtitles. The dubbed version just didn't have the same impact for me. I can't think of any other films where I root for Nazi's. :shrug: :)

I saw 87 of them.

I didn't count a couple of movies that I started to watch but never finished because they bored me to tears - such as The Prestige. Did I miss the memo that it's supposed to be some kind of modern classic? I don't think I'd ever heard of it until I was on an overseas flight this spring and that was one of the options for movie-watching.

Back
Top Bottom