Im very curious about what sports the guys in U2 follow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Im quite curious about what sports the guys from U2 watch or follow.....

From what I know, I know for a fact that the guys does follow soccer/football. But American football? Perhaps they do as they have played at the Superbowl once.

And also, since the lads have been in America very extensively so I thought how about baseball? basketball? Ice hockey?

Back home in Ireland, I reckon they do follow Gaelic football and hurling which are both traditional Irish sports.

Any ideas?

dougal

Between making music and trying to save the world, I doubt they have time for sports.

a bit doesn't count.

that makes U2 bandwagon fans. They don't strike me as sports people. Maybe the Edge.... the rest? nahhh

I also have a friend, Brian, who while waiting in line at Detroit Show JT 1987 had Bono come up to him and ask to play football w the nerf football they had.
They played a scrimmage game of football to pass time before the show.
True story:)
Bono said where he came from 'football' was called 'soccer'...and that the AmericanFootball had a funny shape.

So its not like theyre not interested in sports..
Im sure they have an interest of some sort.

DB9:larry:

There's a site with celebrity soccer fans that says Bono is a fan of Glasgow Celtic of Scotland. I have no idea on the credibility of the thing, although they do ask for proof if you're going to submit a celebrity football fan. If he was a Celtic fan, he'd be supporting the same club as Fran Healy from Travis, Jim Kerr from Simple Minds, Primal Scream, Sharleen Spiteri from Texas and Teenage Fanclub.

http://www.railwayinn.freeserve.co.uk/famous.htm (actual site)
http://www.railwayinn.freeserve.co.uk/Celtic.htm (Celtic sub-page)

I recall reading a few months back that Larry was at a boxing match, in Dublin-I think it was Dublin

I don't know if he follows it religiously though..:wink:

I'm curious, has anyone see the "Stuck in a Moment" video where the young (American) fieldgoal kicker misses the field goal of his life, and it stays with him the rest of his life, and shows him when he's old. It's rather obivious that U2 understands American " football". Anyway I also read this article recently:

Source : Irish Independent

IRISH supergroup, U2 and British soccer giants, Manchester United andLiverpool, are among those invited to play central roles in Cork's programme as EUCapital of Culture in 2005.

The Cork 2005 Office is now hoping to reach agreement between U2's management, theBritish soccer giants and Cork County Board for events to be staged in the city's Pairc UiChaoimh GAA grounds.

Cork officials hope that U2 will agree to a showpiece concert to reprise their Joshua Treetour in the late 1980s.

That is being followed by a high-profile soccer tournament with Man Utd and Liverpool asthe key attractions.

The revelation came as Cork appealed for submissions on its programme as theEuropean Capital of Culture for 2005.

Cork 2005 has already dismissed criticism that its budget of ?13.5m is only a fraction of what other EU Capital of Culture cities such as Edinburgh enjoyed for its eventsprogramme.

The Cork 2005 Office - led by director, John Kennedy, now wants submissions of ideasand proposals to support its aim to make Cork's status "an opportunity to celebrate the renewal of our city environment, to rekindle our spirit of community, to explore our cultureand our identity and to demonstrate to all our vision of a confident 21st century city",declared Kennedy.

"This is as much about ideas as about money," he added.

Mr. Kennedy stressed that ideas or submissions can come from artists, art groups, community associations, the private or public sector."We want to hear ideas orsuggestions from anyone interested in making a meaningful contribution to our culturalcelebration in Cork in 2005," he added.

So yeah, I would think one of the many diverse interest U2 has would be in any of these sports.
They are also PERFORMING, next month, at the Special Olympics. Which is, for the first time, being held out side the US.
Wish I could be there.

I read once that the U2 guys went and saw a Chicago Bears football game with Bill Clinton. :eyebrow: :scratch: Don't know if there's any truth to that.

I also read that they went to a boxing match in Vegas during the Joshua Tree tour and that they were disturbed by the amount of blood that splattered on the audience.

And who can forget the classic tale from Bill Flanagan's Until The End Of The World about Edge seeing Ireland win the World Cup. I would have loved to have witnessed that party. :sexywink:

Oh! And Larry produced that "Put 'Em Under Pressue" song for a football club (soccer). Forgot which one though :shrug: ...I think

:wave:

~J

Back
Top Bottom