I'm tired of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I just need a little break from rock music..and singer/songwriter stuff. There's a whole other world of music out there I'm missing out on

give me ideas.

I feel myself being drawn into electronica
been listening to Royksopp :yes:...Melody A.M. is very good!

boards of canada are scratching my itch as well

I want to get some chem bros and underworld as well...for the big beats ;)

any suggestions?

doesn't have to be in this genre, really, just something very different

i'm getting back into the rock. not that i ever left it, but i mean the loud guitar type rock.

as for electronica, try some mouse on mars. i downloaded a bit of their stuff from amazon and it's pretty cool. i also highly recommend some saint etienne, although i don't know how you'll take to them.

Last edited:
KLEZMER!

It is a hot new genre. The genre even has a website and forum like U2 and Interference. Check it out, and look for my posts (of course I use the same "zonelistener" nick :wink: )

I got into Klezmer (it is Jewish wedding music) just as the scene was heating up about a year and a half ago. I would check it out if I were you - especially as a musician. Similar to the brit rock genre, they have some pretty big European festivals.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I might joke, but I do find the music enjoyable.

I don't know what to say to that...

you are a gentleman and a scholar

Not 'electronica' per se, I guess, but try checking out UNKLE (of 'Rabbit in your headlights' fame). I think they have something new out.

I went through a long long period of being quite sick of rock before Sleater-Kinney, of all bands, rekindled the fires again. Now I'm a regular gun-totin' weed-smokin' rawk fan again. Sort of.

Royksopp is awesome, I love melody AM
also check out The Notwist, not really rock, not really electronica, just good stuff
I also agree with saint etienne....:up:

Of course hard rock is to be distinguished from rock and roll. The former is almost always a big fat wank, in my opinion. As in, how hard is 'hard'? How hard does one have to be before one tips over into 'metal', and starts singing about the number 666 and oceans of fire, or something?

Float like a feather, sting like a ton of bricks.

I'm currently listening to "Yol Bolsin" by Sevara Nazarkhan, who is an Uzbeki singer teaming up with the modern producer whose name I forgot. Her voice is incredible, and the album is a really gorgeous and subtle blend of modern beats with traditional Uzbeki songs and instruments.

Beth Gibbons' "Out of Season" is great, too.

i've been getting into old school hiphop

eric b. & rakim
grandmaster flash
rundmc
delasoul

I agree with the Portishead statements. I was watching a SNL rerun the otherday and they were on, I'd forgotten how cool they were.

Goldfrapp is a lot like Portishead too, but I've heard they're pretty good also.

theSoulfulMofo said:
i've been getting into old school hiphop

eric b. & rakim
grandmaster flash
rundmc
delasoul

Kick ass! Nobody does it better than Rakim. And DeLa Soul is one of my all time favorites, especially "Jenifa Taught Me." :sexywink:

Jenifa! OH!

Anyway, I recommend www.digitallyimported.net if you're up for some wonderful electronic music. The trance channel is especially good.

Try an actual "rock and roll" album, like the Stones "Exile On Main Street" or "Sticky Fingers."

"I hear an awful lot of rock these days, but very little roll"- Keef Richards

MrBrau1 said:
"I hear an awful lot of rock these days, but very little roll"- Keef Richards

Exactly.

On a sidenote, I saw a few Boards of Canada albums at the music store... and they were quite pricey. Is there a premium on their music, or on the entire electronica genre?

:down:

2 words, and only two words:

AMON TOBIN

and you're set.

Apollo 440 have a new album out, I'm not sure how good it is though. And Lamb have a new one out in a few months called Darkness in a World of Wonder <- they are a quality band. And definately look into 'the k&d sessions' by kruder and dorfmeister.. very very well done.

Back
Top Bottom