I'm so disheartened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Today, I went to talk to my American Politics teacher to "discuss" (that's me fighting) my grade on the last exam. He told me that I am "too smart for a 100 level course."

He suggested that I resign to memorizing and regurgitating the material from the book like all the other students. He said my level is more 300-400, but since I've got a while till I qualify for those, I had better buckle down.

Excuse me while I become another brick in the wall. :|

stranger things have happened - though not fairer

it actually happens to me a lot.

and this time the reason was that i have knowledge beyond the scope of the average 100 level poli student.

shoot me for being aware of my surroundings. :|

I have never heard of a teacher giving someone a lower grade because they knew too much.

Maybe the professor meant that you were over-analyzing the questions and not giving the correct answer, but giving fuzzy answers that didn't deliver the black and white, true answer. That's just a guess.

I think you should go to the head of the department if you fail to get your deserved grade at the end of the semester. Don't make a stink before the final or else the professor may grade your paper thougher than the rest.

Dano's giving good advice. :yes:

When I was in college, I had a prof who was on the grade appeals board. He pratically begged us to use the board (not for his class, though!) Look into this, and after you get your grades in the mail, pay them a visit if you don't agree with the grade this nimrod gave you. Just make sure to keep all you papers and things so you can defend the grade you think you earned.

That's bullshit...I've never heard of such a thing...I didn't even follow what you were sayin' at first because it just doesn't even make sense! :der:

Danospano said:
Maybe the professor meant that you were over-analyzing the questions and not giving the correct answer, but giving fuzzy answers that didn't deliver the black and white, true answer. That's just a guess.

These are multiple choice questions. IE:

Why have congressional committees?

a. bullshit answer
b. because congress wants to help its constituents as well as possible by having accurate laws.
c. because congress is too large to hear all cases.

so i pick c. he says that's wrong because he was implying that "c" meant congress couldn't hear all cases as a result. :censored:

Lilly said:

he says that's wrong because he was implying that "c" meant congress couldn't hear all cases as a result. :censored:

That's bullshit. I write tests for my students all the time, and you don't "imply" anything on an MC test. Those questions and answers need to be clear and unambiguous. He's just an idiot. Kick his ass all the way to the dean's office.

Ah...I always kicked a huge stink as an undergrad, and now I'm doing the same thing as a grad student. If a class was too stupid, I forced a waiver out of the department, which I've done twice so far this semester.

Melon

I've made quite a few arguements to deans...I talked the foreign languages dean into handing me 22 credits.

And I need to talk to the math dean.

And now I'll add a new dean to my list.

Lilly said:
Why have congressional committees?

b. because congress wants to help its constituents as well as possible by having accurate laws.

LOL...what propagandistic shit.

Melon

Don't be

Eh...just remember the best marks don't go to the best work but to the work that most pleases the marker. Then you have a wide range of markers so it is difficult to strike the right balance.

But that, after all, is just the way Arts geared subjects work, God bless em. ;)

Multiple choice tests are a skill to be learned. Many times, the success on an MC exam has nothing to do with the material and everything to do with the style of questions presented.

I had a 300 level Immunology course you were told that the questions could either have 1 correct answer, no correct answers, or multiple combinations of letters A-E as an answer. It was the most aggravating type of exam I have ever had to write, and it took you indeterminable amounts of time to simply read the question and the answer. Many times, people who were better prepared than the average failed to do well, because they just got sucked into the format, and got lost in the quagmire.

Another one of my favourites was the insistence of "Pick the MOST correct answer out of these 5 correct answers." Precious, too.

I went through college pretending I was an idiot savant...

:shifty: That's how I managed to survive. I wasn't smart enough for people to call me nerd... I wasn't dumb enough to fail classes... ahh, the best of both worlds. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

anitram said:

I had a 300 level Immunology course you were told that the questions could either have 1 correct answer, no correct answers, or multiple combinations of letters A-E as an answer. It was the most aggravating type of exam I have ever had to write, and it took you indeterminable amounts of time to simply read the question and the answer. Many times, people who were better prepared than the average failed to do well, because they just got sucked into the format, and got lost in the quagmire.

Another one of my favourites was the insistence of "Pick the MOST correct answer out of these 5 correct answers." Precious, too.

Ugh. That just gave me some awful flashbacks of some of my old exams. And laugh my ASS off at the "most correct" question - I've had one or 2 of those in my life, and enough of us complained to get them both thrown out. That was a serious :banghead: moment when I came across those......

Must be just an "assholes are from new jersey" issue

zonelistener said:
I may get completely blasted for this...but....

you are at a STATE school in South Dakota.

:censored: :wave:

*knew that Lilly might not be challenged in S.D.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Excuse me if I cannot afford a PRIVATE school in MINNESOTA. As it is I can barely afford this school. So please, spare me the "you could be at this school or this school right now" bullshit. I can't even believe you said this to me, least of all on a public forum.

You would think, since you could afford a private school, you would learn to think before you post.

don't hug me.

Re: Must be just an "assholes are from new jersey" issue

Lilly said:

Excuse me if I cannot afford a PRIVATE school in MINNESOTA. As it is I can barely afford this school. So please, spare me the "you could be at this school or this school right now" bullshit. I can't even believe you said this to me, least of all on a public forum.

You would think, since you could afford a private school, you would learn to think before you post.

don't hug me.

Lilly -

Thanks for OVER-Reading into this post. I posted this in SUPPORT of you, and you turn around and take it personally. I really wish people would stop this crap (reading into stuff like this). So much humor has been lost on so many.

As for private versus public......I don't think that was the debate here (in fact, there is no debate - it is just a mere "ribing" of a friend). There are so many GREAT public institutions....to name a few: Rutgers University, UMass, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UofMichigan, UVA...oh do I really need to name all of them? Many of which you could probably get into (and I couldn't with my SAT score and H.S. grades). Although, these schools, coming from out of state, would be equally as expensive as private schools.

I was making fun of South Dakota. Something I do QUITE often with you, Shannon. I am talking about a state that the majority of our fellow Americans could not point out in a map of the 50 states. A state that most people could not name one major city in the state, little (and I do mean little) alone the state capitol. (And no, I don't think there is a SOUTH DAKOTA CITY).

So, please do not get nasty until you know what is going on. And call sometime.

Back
Top Bottom