I'm planning my Turkey trip!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I've just started to plan my trip. I'm going in April. There are so many choices! There are some good web sites with a great deal of information. Turkey Travel Planner is going to come in handy now. I'm so excited, I can't wait to go! I've been wanting to do this for two and a half years, and now I get to do it! As usual I will accept any advice!

Verte, there's a history professor at my school who lived in Turkey and specializes in the history of Turkey (he's written books about it). I can ask him for suggestions if you want. He is one of my favorite profs and I've actually known his family for a long time.

Most likely what I'm going to do is talk to a local travel agency. I've been to Europe before and I had all of my trips planned by a local agent. I know I want four days or so in Istanbul, then maybe an excursion to Gallipoli, and I'll probably hit Bursa and Izmir. I want to see at least one caravanserai.........OK, I'm getting carried away. :wink:

Carek1230 said:
What made you choose Turkey? Just curious.

Two and a half years ago my branch of the medieval re-enactment society I'm in was planning a Middle-Eastern themed event. They asked me, as the officer in charge of teaching classes, if I'd teach a class at the meeting on some ME people who lived in the Middle Ages. I chose the Turks and put together a class on the Seljuk and Ottoman Turks. I became fascinated with the country during my research. When I get into anything I get obsessed. I was reading about the buildings that are still there, the towns that are still there, the food, everything.......I wanted to go. I've been hoping and dreaming for all of this time. Now I can finally do it. I'm so excited!

oooh, turkey... i was there this past august for 8 days. i suggest at least 3 days in Istanbul- that city is fantastic. be sure to visit the hagia sofia, blue mosque, and tokapi (sp?) palace. there are a couple of other mosques that are interesting as well. there's an underground aqueduct that's pretty cool... also, be sure to eat at a meyhanes (tavern), which serves meze (small appetizer dishes). if you like to drink, sample some raki (licorice flavored drink in the manner of ouzo), or Efes beer. smoke apple flavored tobacco out of a nargileh (water pipe). watch a whirling dervish (there's an outdoor cafe near the blue mosque where they perform for free). go to the Grand Bazaar and haggle for some decent prices. listen to the overlapping calls to prayer (so beautiful). watch the moonlight shimmer on the Bosphorus.

outside of istanbul, i HIGHLY recommend a trip to Ephesus- it's an overnight train ride away (or a long bus ride). there you'll find the most amazing ruins! the town of Selcuk is right next to Ephesus, and it's a nice friendly place to spend a day or two. the beach is nearby, which is fun, but skip the cheezy toursity coastal towns.

i went to Pammukale as well, where there are cool natural calcium pools to wade through. i wouldn't go out of your way to get there, but if you're nearby it's worth a few hours.

turkey's such an interesting country- have a great trip!!!

Turkey is a great place to visit.

In 1998, I went to Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ephesus.

I wish I went to more places, but I was on a budget.

And I was in the Peace Corps in Bulgaria, Turkey's northern neighbor.

verte76 said:

Two and a half years ago my branch of the medieval re-enactment society I'm in was planning a Middle-Eastern themed event. They asked me, as the officer in charge of teaching classes, if I'd teach a class at the meeting on some ME people who lived in the Middle Ages. I chose the Turks and put together a class on the Seljuk and Ottoman Turks. I became fascinated with the country during my research. When I get into anything I get obsessed. I was reading about the buildings that are still there, the towns that are still there, the food, everything.......I wanted to go. I've been hoping and dreaming for all of this time. Now I can finally do it. I'm so excited!

Thanks for the response. I enjoy hearing why some people choose to visit certain parts of the world. I love to absorb information about new places and what better education than travelling the world to experience sights, history, cultures. This is excellent and I guarantee you will have an incredible journey. Take loads of pics! I wish I could afford to travel because that is what I would do. Greece is where I'd really love to visit, and many places throughout Europe. You know the saying DREAM OUT LOUD!

I have been to Turkey twice on business during the past year and I am going there again this Saturday. Amazing place, great food and nice people. :up:

Since I was there for work, I could not go everywhere, but here are some tips on the things I liked (some pics of me there are on the pictures thread):

Ankara

- Not too much to see. If you want, spend a day there when you are going from Istanbul to Cappadoccia. If you are around, you could see the Ataturk monument and museum.

Cappadoccia

- Must see. This is the place where the Christians, running away from the Crusades, built chapels inside mountains since it is mostly volcanic stone. Very unique and fascinating. Urgup is a very nice little town.

Istanbul

- Sultanahmet (old neighborhood). Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar (and I also recommend the Suleymaniye Mosque, even though it is a little bit separated).
- Definetly visit the Underground cistern :up:
- Dolmabahce Palace next to the Bosphorus.
- Take the regular ferry that goes up the Bosphorus towards the Black Sea and makes stops in small little towns along the way. Have lunch at the last stop (gorgeous fishermen little town).
- Also take the regular ferry that goes to the Princes' Islands and have a beer and a fish by the sea. Gorgeous.

What to buy in Turkey:

- Carpets (of course, but expensive... do not buy them at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul as you will likely get ripped off... choose less touristy locations like Ankara).
- Tea glasses. You will be amazed at the amount of tea that Turks drink.
- Spices at the spice bazaar, if you like cooking.

What to eat and drink in Turkey:

- Efes beer :drool:
- Kebabs (I would be careful with chicken now but lamb kebaps are just :drool: ).
- The 20-plus different types of baklava.
- For breakfast, try Salep, a white warm beverage, especially if it is cold outside.

This time I am going to a town near Ephesus, so I will try to save a day to visit the ruins.

I am a huge fan of the country. If you need to know anything specific just ask.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Turkey just took Denmark's ticket to the World Cup. That's all you need to know :grumpy:

Wow, U2@NYC, thanks for the advice! I'm definitely spending four or five days in Istanbul. That city sounds amazing, I'm from a provincial little town in the South so it will be an incredible experience.

After reading this thread I actually did some searching and reading on Turkey and I think it is a place I would enjoy visiting. I am looking forward to hearing more about the culture, food, and trips some of you have already taken there.

Back
Top Bottom