I'm on a diet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
So my New Year's Resolution was to regain my fitness. 3 years ago, I was pretty physically fit (6'2" and 200 lbs, medium shirts were loose on me). Since then I'd gained 50 lbs due to a general laziness and lack of a healthy diet. And large shirts were tight on me.

Therefore, starting on New Year's Day I began eating healthier and walking/jogged as close to daily as I had time for (3-5 times a week). I began at 250 lbs. My goal was to lost 50 lbs in 6 months. By July 1st I wanted to be 200 lbs.

I am now nearly 4 weeks into my diet/exersize resolution and I stepped on the scale today for the first time since New Year's Day and the scale said 240 lbs. I've lost 10 lbs in 27 days! If somehow I can keep this pace up for those 6 months, I will be approximately 190 lbs by July 1st. This excites me and encourages me to keep going.

CONGRATS, Tourist!! I've been working out since June and just ran my first race! I didn't win (duh) but I didn't lose either!!!! Keep up the good work.

Yeah! I did the same thing for New Years and I lost 12 pounds since Jan 1st.

Giving up pop is one thing I did, eating better foods and less of them is another. And running every day helps too.

Now, this weekend, as for the diet uhh...I'm recommitting myself tomorrow again. :D

Good job, keep it up. It's not easy.

Do not get discouraged, though, if your pace slows, due to your metabolism matching your new eating habits. Just keep at it, even if you miss a goal or two.

I'm really happy for you! Keep going and you'll get to where you want to be with time. :)

At the start of the year I promised myself I'd lose 10-15 lbs mainly because I wanted my six-pack back. I had one back in undergrad when I was in fantastic shape...but then you get older, your metabolism slows down and I just couldn't devote that much time to structuring my life around fitness. However, now I have to get into a very skimpy sari for a wedding in August and this has given me the incentive I need.

I consume no more than 1500 cals per day. I do interval training every day. I'm down 8 lbs from the beginning of the year. I don't have very far to go but I am also a compulsive person and now I don't believe I'll be able to stop so I may go another 10-15. Which would bring me back to my lowest weight point (but once again, this is very difficult for me to maintain, to be a size 4 when I'm 5'8).

Welcome to the club! I'm in the same boat as Martina - have a summer wedding, want to be able to justify spending a lot on a really cute dress I picked out. I've never been overweight, but I live for the beach and like bikinis, so I've got some work to do to get back to where I used to be. I've lost a little over 10 lbs since Jan. 3. I eat 1200-1500 cals a day and work out on my elliptical 5-6 days a week. Once the weather turns, I'm going to teach Kenya to run along my bike.

My New Years resolution in 2007 was to lose weight and now, a year later, I have lost a total of 85 pounds and have gone from a size 16 to a 4. The most important thing is exercise - I do 45 minutes on the treadmill 6 days a week. But also remember not to completely deprive yourself of the so called "bad" foods. In the past I would try to be perfect all the time and it always backfired. Now I eat healthy and stay at about 1400 - 1500 calories per day about 90% of the time. But every few weeks, I'll have pizza or Mexican or something fattening, plus I allow myself a small serving of dessert every Saturday. This is what finally worked for me and it's something I can live with.

Liesje said:
I eat 1200-1500 cals a day and work out on my elliptical 5-6 days a week. Once the weather turns, I'm going to teach Kenya to run along my bike.

You should probably push up your cal count to 1500. 1200 is too low and your body may go into starvation mode in which case you will actually begin storing fat as opposed to burning it.

anitram said:

You should probably push up your cal count to 1500. 1200 is too low and your body may go into starvation mode in which case you will actually begin storing fat as opposed to burning it.

I think I usually end up closer to 1500, lol. I consulted with our director of health and wellness (who is basically an on-call nutritionist/trainer for faculty and staff) and he told me based on the other stuff he knows about me to eat 1200-1500, no more no less.

Liesje said:

I think I usually end up closer to 1500, lol.

I think depending upon the day, I take in between 1300-1800. It's usually a correllation between the days where I need caffeine (and I don't drink tea or coffee or diet soda, so regular pop it is). However, I find myself working out less on the days I take in only about 1300. Today, I actually took in right around 1900. But I'll be jogging in the snow tonight!

congrats to everyone in the thread on their losses, since june o6 ive gone from a size 24 to a 14 , but have come to a standstill, its very hard by the end of the day to get on that treadmill, so i hope i can use this thread for a bit of motivation to drop those last 10 kg by the end of the year.

I haven't worked out since Thursday. Friday - Sunday I was in Chicago and then I got sick. I guess I'm still losing weight being sick, but that's not good....

the tourist said:

I think depending upon the day, I take in between 1300-1800. It's usually a correllation between the days where I need caffeine (and I don't drink tea or coffee or diet soda, so regular pop it is). However, I find myself working out less on the days I take in only about 1300. Today, I actually took in right around 1900. But I'll be jogging in the snow tonight!

My diet regime is pretty harsh as it only allows 600 calories a day. Lots of people say it's crazy but it worked for me and the good thing is that I haven't put back on any of the 20 kilos I lost. The main thing is that I have learnt to eat properly. And while the calory count is pretty low the food I have is delicious and nutritive. In addition, I take vitamins, potasium and magnesium.

I used to go to the gym 5 times a week (body combat) but now things are pretty hectic around here so I dont get to work out as much as I'd like.

Last edited:
By rights Niamh...you should go to gym every second day and allow the body the following day to rest. I have heard that is most beneficial

^^ I've heard that too but I think gym exercise should also depend on how active you are in daily life. For example, when I was in college I never had a car so I walked miles and miles every day, from home to school once or twice, and then often to the mall, grocery store, bank, Grandma's house, etc. I also walked a lot for my job since I did on-site work orders all over campus. I didn't need to go to the gym everyday. Now, I basically have a desk job and I commute to work and back. Even running 45 mins a day, 6 days a week is probably less or just the same amount of exercise I use to get just doing my daily routine.

gman said:
By rights Niamh...you should go to gym every second day and allow the body the following day to rest. I have heard that is most beneficial

I think that may hold true for weight training (which everyone, including all women should be doing), but not for cardio.

I don't do too much weight training. I've got 20 lb dumbells that I lift about once a week. But other than that, mostly all I do is cardio.

I did all cardio (1 hour/day, 6 or 7 days a week) until I reached my target weight. Now I do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 3 days a week.

Ditto what anitram said about taking a day off. You can even strength train every day as long as you're working different muscle groups each day so you give individual muscles a day of rest.

Great job everyone. Keep it up :hi5:

Back
Top Bottom