I'm old enough to remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Yep. This is the thread for those of us who are getting a bit long in the tooth to tell about the things we remember that just aren't the same any more.

Here goes.

I remember when parents didn't like rock n roll. :)

I remember multiparty telephone (aka party lines). When I was young we had one (lived in a rural area which had them long after they were obsolete in urban areas). I think we had it until I was 10 or 12. You could listen in on your neighbour's phone calls. :D

I remember when no one thought it was weird to have only one TV (often a black & white TV) per family.

I remember party lines! We had one in Omaha when I was a kid.

I remember when Janis Joplin died. The teenagers on my street were so sad. I pretended to be sad because "Janis died." I knew who she was, but not enough to be really sad.

You three young ladies do not want to know what I remember...like the original, first showing of American Bandstand...Chuckoo the Clown, Bozo the Clown, Sky King, Fury, the original My Friend Flicka, the original National Velvet...Ed Sullivan, the debut of the Beatles, Elvis, Dave Clark 5, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Burns and Allen...

First run episodes of Ozzie and Harriet, several of the I Love Lucy shows, and the pain goes on and on....

One phone families; our original phone # 213-327-3569...name each of your elementary school teachers...ugg,,I'm old.

My first car was a 1959 Ford Fairlane...gas was .13 a gallon.

Friday night date night at Bob's Big Boy,,,I earned $2.50 a week to cover the $1.99 Big Boy combo....

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
You three young ladies do not want to know what I remember...like the original, first showing of American Bandstand...Chuckoo the Clown, Bozo the Clown, Sky King, Fury, the original My Friend Flicka, the original National Velvet...Ed Sullivan, the debut of the Beatles, Elvis, Dave Clark 5, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Burns and Allen...

First run episodes of Ozzie and Harriet, several of the I Love Lucy shows, and the pain goes on and on....

Do you remember Mike Garrett and O.J. Simpson in Cardinal and Gold, Mr BAW?

U2Girl1978 said:
I remember the days when I wasn't so computer dependent! I didn't have my first computer until I was 18. :ohmy:

ha! I didn't get my first computer until I was 35. :yikes:

Lila64 said:
I remember dial telephones...
I remember TVs WITHOUT a remote control...AND no cable :ohmy:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I remember commodor 64 computers.

I had 4 games. A space game that was quite in depth. I played that one so much, i wore it out. I had a basketball game and I could be players like Walt Frasier, George Gervin, and other stars. That game made me break controllers b/c of course, "the game cheats." Anyway, I had a soccer game that I loved. It was hilarious b/c on the box it had a goalie blocking a shot saying, "Phew, I just saved it." And the other player who shot it, "Drat, that was my last chance."
And the last game was pinball. My dad and I played that one together lots.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Do you remember Mike Garrett and O.J. Simpson in Cardinal and Gold, Mr BAW?
I grew up within 20 miles of the Coliseum (Torrance)..that was my college of choice; I remember Mike and Marlin McKeever; Jon Arnett, I watched SC from my first interest in football...I actually went to the LA Dodger games in 1958, the year theycame to LA from the Bronx; they beat the ChiSox in the World Series that year; I saw Felipe Alou hit 3 homers against the Dodgers best...those were good times; my godfather would drive me to Chavez Ravine during the building of Dodger Stadium.. I listened to the first game ever, Wally Post of the Reds hit the very first home run at Dodger Stadium...

Growing up a sports-minded kid was awesome; we didn't have a lot of money but I made due buying Player cards by turning in bottles for the deposit...5 cards and a piece of gum, heaven!

Mike Garrett, OJ, Charles White, Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell and how can I forget Sam the Man Cunningham! he ran over me in a high school play-off game before he went to SC..I still have the cleat marks on my chest to prove it...he went to Santa Barbara HS, 1968..home of the 400-lb line...their defensive line was actually heavier than the Ram's Fearsome Foursome...Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones and Rosie Grier...!

Last edited:
My best friends family had the Commodore

we got the pc jr which wan't much more than a calculator you could hardly do anything with it.

I remember Kurt Cobain dying and not getting the odd rash of meloncholy.

River Phoenix :sad:

ooh and I was at the first shuttle landing

Mr. BAW said:
I grew up within 20 miles of the Coliseum (Torrance)..that was my college of choice; I remember Mike and Marlin McKeever; Jon Arnett, I watched SC from my first interest in football...I actually went to the LA Dodger games in 1958, the year theycame to LA from the Bronx; they beat the ChiSox in the World Series that year; I saw Felipe Alou hit 3 homers against the Dodgers best...those were good times; my godfather would drive me to Chavez Ravine during the building of Dodger Stadium.. I listened to the first game ever, Wally Post of the Reds hit the very first home run at Dodger Stadium...

Growing up a sports-minded kid was awesome; we didn't have a lot of money but I made due buying Player cards by turning in bottles for the deposit...5 cards and a piece of gum, heaven!

Mike Garrett, OJ, Charles White, Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell and how can I forget Sam the Man Cunningham! he ran over me in a high school play-off game before he went to SC..I still have the cleat marks on my chest to prove it...he went to Santa Barbara HS, 1968..home of the 400-lb line...their defensive line was actually heavier than the Ram's Fearsome Foursome...Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones and Rosie Grier...!
:love:

My love for the Trojans :ohmy: begins with John Robinson and Charles White through Marcus Allen....and Fred Crutcher :lol:

I've been a Dodger fan since I was old enough to understand baseball...and my favorite era was the Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey heydays.

And kat I too remember the Kurt Cobain thing...and I remember thinking 'why would you kill yourself if you had everything'? Only to learn he didn't want 'everything' and that it was all a huge burden in his mind. Sad, really.

old enough to remember...

waiting in line with my Mom for gas - depending upon if your license plate was even or odd.

I remember... Kiddyland in L.A., before there was a Beverly Center. I remember the rides and the pony rides for a quarter down the street.

I remember hearing on the news that Elvis Presley and John Lennon had died :sad:

Lila64 said:
old enough to remember...

waiting in line with my Mom for gas - depending upon if your license plate was even or odd.

I remember... Kiddyland in L.A., before there was a Beverly Center. I remember the rides and the pony rides for a quarter down the street.

I remember hearing on the news that Elvis Presley and John Lennon had died :sad:
I remember writing people tickets for switching their odd/even license plate numbers during the gas ration era.... :shame:

I had the Tandy 1000...I was 6 though...haha. Don't really remember the 80s much.

Lila64 said:
no they had cords for the longest time

That's what I thought! I was just trying to remember when they came out. I know we got my mom and dad a cordless phone probably close to 20 years ago?? And it was expensive enough that three of us siblings chipped in for it...

For all ma < 19 ladies

Remember Gem, Fraggle Rock, the Muppet Show, Full House?

Awww yea :love:

Mr. BAW said:

Friday night date night at Bob's Big Boy,,,I earned $2.50 a week to cover the $1.99 Big Boy combo....

That is awesome :heart:

Got Philk? said:
I remember BIIIIIG cell phones...

And not having one...

aahhh, yes.

cell.JPG

I actually had one.

Lila64 said:
I remember those! I think we have an old book here with some tickets still in it

:)

I believe the whole "Book" with tickets A thru F?...sold for $12.50

No "passports" until later on

Back
Top Bottom