I'm old enough to remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
I remember:
- the Iran Hostage fiasco.
- Service Merchandice.
- the 1980 Olympic Boycott.
- The space shuttle taking off (maybe for the first time?)
- Joe Montana beating the Bengals inthe SuperBowl.
- Having a reel to reel recorder and my and my sister recording ourselves.
- ET Mania (Is that the Elllliiiioooottttt reference?)
- John Lennon getting shot.

Yeah I remember these things too! (well, not you and your sister recording yourselves, but we had a reel to reel recorder too).

Also:

-- I remember -- though vaguely -- the 1972 Munich Olympics. Well, I remember Mark Spitz and then the massacre.
-- Joe Montana at Notre Dame -- and that astonishing comeback in the 1979 Cotton Bowl -- I think that was the most exciting football game I ever saw. At least the last 7 and a half minutes. :) I remember thinking that day "wow! I certainly would draft him!"

-- had to laugh at the people who remembered the Bay City Rollers. Unfortunately, I remember them too. :uhoh: You gotta wonder what the fuck they were thinking with these charming outfits:

_40813384_baycityrollers203.jpg

:lol:

redhotswami said:
:lmao: i was waiting to see who would be the first to post a pic of them.

Someone had to be brave and show the true horror of it all.... :wink:

I remember my dad had a big blue Cadillac with an 8 track tape player. We had soundtracks to Grease & Saturday Night Fever, Meat Loaf & the Kingston Trio. Yeah, we were rocking!!

Whenever I heard Queen's "We Will Rock You", I'd ask him to turn it up.

Also, we didn't wear selt belts, & I used to sit on the arm rest in the front seat. So if my dad stopped quickly his arm would go out to protect me. I'm 33 now & my parents still do that whenever I'm driving with them.

meriddle said:
Also, we didn't wear selt belts, & I used to sit on the arm rest in the front seat. So if my dad stopped quickly his arm would go out to protect me. I'm 33 now & my parents still do that whenever I'm driving with them.

OMG My mom does that too! I never developed that habit because when I started driving, seatbelts were more enforced.

indra said:

-- had to laugh at the people who remembered the Bay City Rollers. Unfortunately, I remember them too. :uhoh: You gotta wonder what the fuck they were thinking with these charming outfits:

_40813384_baycityrollers203.jpg

:lol:
Don't you diss the Rollers :mad: They were my little 8 year old heart's desire :drool: Jealous, Martha, very jealous...:(

UberBeaver said:
Mr Hooper on Sesame Street.
:sad: Back in the days when Snuffy's existence was still a secret...

Let's see, I also remember...
--when certain crap fast-food and family restaurants would treat kiddie customers to one of those floppy "records" which had to have a coin placed on them in order to stay put on the turntable and contained some stupid story about their "mascot's" latest adventures
--when you could get a whole handful of chiclet gum for a penny from a gumball machine
--Bill Cosby's Jello pudding commercials
--Menudo videos rudely interrupting my Saturday morning cartoon enjoyment...even worse, there was briefly some sort of unspeakably awful cartoon show involving them and Rubik the Cube (as a character)
--going trick-or-treating and getting freshly made stuff--caramel apples, fried doughnuts, etc., none of which anyone worried about having to X-ray for razorblades first
--Solid Gold :yuck:
--Tron :drool:
--sandals that converted to really, really lousy roller skates by pressing a button on them that made tiny little wheels come out
--...and speaking of roller skates, Dire Straits' Skateaway, which I think was the first music video I ever saw.

I remember:

- 1 and 2 cent coins, before they were taken out of circulation here
- Slap bracelets, then they were banned from school cos people kept hitting each other :lmao:
- The Goodnight Kiwi! :hyper:
- Button Moon, Sooty, Fraggle Rock, Rainbow
- Stirrup pants :mad: I hated wearing those!

Placing a nickel on top of the needle arm of the turntable so the album didn't skip.

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:

Don't you diss the Rollers :mad: They were my little 8 year old heart's desire :drool: Jealous, Martha, very jealous...:(

And nary a moustache amongst 'em! :wink:

MrPryck2U said:
How bout this one? Dynamite Magazine!
Here's another one: Wonderama

:love:

I think you are the only other person in the world that remembers Wonderama :happy:

for the girls - S-A-T-U-R-D-A Y NIGHT! :shifty:
gonna keep on dancing.... rock & roll love letter, to you!

I just remembered something and had to google for the name:

WACKY PACKAGES
red_pack2.gif

tn_gadzooka_white_front_small.jpg
tn_minute_white_front_small.jpg
tn_6up_white_front_small.jpg

http://www.wackypackages.org/

Last edited:
Omg....heeheehee....I have so many things it's unbelievable.

So many inventions have come and gone in my lifetime and here are only a few that I remember:

1960's:

1. The flash cube for cameras - the Kodak company invented this little cube in place of the gigantic flashes that used flashpowder.
2. Audio cassettes and mini tape-recorders.
3. Twist-off bottle caps.
4. TVs with remote control.
5. The digital system of phone dialing - using numbers instead of letters.

1970's:

1. VCRs - divided into Betamax and VHS (why, I have no idea).
2. Digital clocks and watches.
3. The internet - first developed by the U.S. Military.
4. The Moog Synthesizer - invented by Walter (later WENDY) Carlos. An instrument that revolutionized the music business and gave birth to one of the greatest albums ever: "Switched-On Bach".

1980's:

1. Compact discs - the first commercial CD released was "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits in 1985.
2. Laser video discs - HUGE long playing videos on vinyl that never caught on....
3. The round picture disc for special kodak cameras.
4. The personal stereo (or more commondly known as: the WALKMAN) - developed by SONY.
5. Personal home computers.
6. The DOS operating system - the heart of the function of the computer. Developed by a small company in seattle called Microsoft by a four-eyed geek named Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.
7. The Space Shuttle.

1990's:

1. The World Wide Web - starting from 1992, the "information superhighway" became as much a part of our lives as clothes and shoes....
2. Digital cameras and video recorders.
3. GPS technology.
4. The Windows operating system - another invention by Microsoft, replacing DOS.
5. Mp3 - digital compression of music files.
6. Mp3 players.

2000's:

1. Ipod's.
2. TIVO.

If I forgot anything, I'm sure you'll think of it....lol.

Back
Top Bottom