I'm old enough to remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. BAW said:
From two of my children "years ago"...

"Dad, when you were small, was there any color?" (they actually believed that the entire world was black and white...) :yes:

I can remember asking my father the same thing :reject:

My first memory is seeing the Berlin Wall come down on CNN when I was three years old.

My dad called me into the living room, sat me down and said "this is history - you ought to see this".

Now I'm a history major...I wonder... :hmm:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
No cable!!! :shocked:

Eh, I remember those days too. I remember seeing 'Beat It' for the first time...World Premiere video...on MTV back in the day!!
Hi, I'm Octu2 other wise known as Elizabeth....You know my sister Victoria!! I hear you are just as crazy about the boys as we are!! I usually go on PLEBA, but i see other PLEBAS on this end too. Nice to find this site and be with other crazy U2 funs huh?!

Hidy said:

Hi, I'm Octu2 other wise known as Elizabeth....You know my sister Victoria!! I hear you are just as crazy about the boys as we are!! I usually go on PLEBA, but i see other PLEBAS on this end too. Nice to find this site and be with other crazy U2 funs huh?!
WOOps I go by Hidy on this site.....if you ever go on Macphisto site, that is where I go by Octu2.

-Jelly shoes
-Sit-N-Spin
-Sticker Books
-The insanity when Cabbage Patch Kids first came out
-Kids Incorporated
-Those old-fashioned HUGE hair bow clips
-The very first disposable diapers
-Rescue 911 and Highway to Heaven were our favorite shows
-Those really old computer monitors with only the black background and green letters/#'s
-Car seats and seat belts were optional

:rolleyes:
Music on MTV
Brand new Corvettes for $ 5000
Gas for 52 cents a gallon
Cars without seat belts
Dick Clark looking the same as he does now
Cigarette ads on TV
The Edge with hair, Bono with a Mullet, Adam with an Afro
Seeing The Beatles land at JFK (aunt Kathy brought me)
Watching the first moon landing (live)
Safe sex meant... NOT hitting your head on the headboard
U2 was a spy plane

Laird/Bono said:
:rolleyes:

Seeing The Beatles land at JFK (aunt Kathy brought me)
Watching the first moon landing (live)

U2 was a spy plane

OOooo :) tell me what is was like at the Airport.
I saw them at Shea - both years.

yeah I remember the U-2 spy plane.
I wondered when I first heard aout them in 1980 why they named themselves after an old spy plane scandal.
then I read somewhere there was a form in either the UK or Ireland alone designated 'U2'.
ALso then in a 80/81 interview Bono {still Vox, then}said it was an inclusive term -- you too.

and OH the Moon landing was SO amazing/exciting!
I saw the Astros in the NYC Ticker Tape Parade they were given. I :love: tickertape parades! :hyper:There is nothiing quite like a NYC Ticker Tape Parade.

:giggle:
In fact -- REMEMBER Ticker Tape............the name for the Parade {and because the location was down in Wall Street area going up Broadway} came from the fact that the ORIGINAL ticker tape from the stock exchange was tossed out the window in increadiblely long STREAMERS!

You can document cutural/tech changes watching live those parades b/c after TX TP was gone people threw out those many- colored COMPUTER PUNCH CARDS AND all the little punched card-stock pieces! :lmao: That was like a "poof" if tiny 'paper-snow' coming down on us.

Then it was the long sheets of big computer paper ... the, like, bands of white & green type that was perforated....into 'zig-zagged' bundles.
They'd send the first piece out and let it UNFOLD from there.

and along the way rolls of toilet paer replaces the TX TP too.:lol:

Last edited:
I remember (and forgive me if I actually say much of the same replies, I'm too old to go thru all the posts!!! although I made it to page 7:wink: )

I remember.....

Eight Tracks :yikes:
Pet Rocks
Peter Frampton Comes Alive - was played non-stop in my Brother's room for about a year.
Those stupid "chains" made out of bubble gum wrappers
Cable Boxes
Adam with an Afro
Larry looking he was about 8 years old
Bono pre-mullet era
Edge had combable hair
Captain Kangaroo
Mtv actually playing music
When someone said "AIDS" the first thing you thought of they were on a diet (try and figure that one out kiddies)
The day Kieth Moon died
The day Thurman Munson died
The day John Lennon was killed
The day John Bonham died
Watched the Space Shuttle crash and then in an unbelievable show of patriotism sitting in a bar in a VT ski town when 60 minutes played the National Anthem with the scenes and pictures of the crew and everyone rising at once in the bar.
I remember first watching team USA beat the Russians and then going out and playing hockey all night on a pond under the stars.
I remember seeing in the movies : Risky Business, Fast Times at Ridgemont High Last American Virgin
A pack of cigarettes $1.10
A marijuana cigarette $1.00 ( just something I was told):wink: :wink:

Record Players
Casette Decks
Reel to Reel
Beta-vision
VCR's

YBORCITYOBL said:
Peter Frampton Comes Alive - was played non-stop in my Brother's room for about a year.

Oh yeah! I had that album. And at least one more of his too. :)

When someone said "AIDS" the first thing you thought of they were on a diet (try and figure that one out kiddies)

I remember that too! :lol:

Watching the very first Saturday Night Live.
How we fealt on 9/10/01....... :hmm:
The Soupy Sales Show
Wonderama
Seeing U2 on MTV for the first time (I will Follow video)
Hearing John Lennon was killed 30 seconds before stepping on stage, to a packed house....
...Trying to keep it bottled up till the end of our show. (Thank God for sunglasses)
Watching the events of 9/11 unfold on TV, sitting with my son who turned 8 months old on that very day. Wondering how on earth I was going to explain all this to him when he was old enough....... * How DO you explain madness?

I'm old enough to remember when going to the bathroom was a pretty good excuse for missing a phone call. Now, folks expect you to take those darn cell phones everywhere!

I remember getting a dollar from my mom to go to the store with my friends so we could by junk food.

A bottle of coke (the special bigger bottle), 50 cents, bag of ketchup chips 25 cents, Popeye cigarettes 15cents, and a piece of Black Bart gum 10 cents. A big deal when you are 7-8 years old.

I remember when comic books were 35 cents.

I also remember taking a note to the neighbourhood convenience store to pick up stuff for my mom. The items would include cigarettes and the owner of the store would give them to me to bring home.

I also remember the release of Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell album. Classic!

I remember the day Elvis Presley died. I remember the day Skylab fell out of the sky.

Last edited:
bubble_up_bottle2.jpg

Bubble-Up!

Bazooka gum was 2 cents:
299222.jpg
And red vines were like pennies a piece too

:sad:

Lila64 said:

Bazooka gum was 2 cents:
299222.jpg
And red vines were like pennies a piece too

:sad:

The good ole days when it cost virtually nothing to rot our teeth out!!!:applaud:

And I remember ads for a diet "candy" called Ayds.....:|

Back
Top Bottom