I'm not ashamed to say I love...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How did I miss 3 pages of pre-Madonna thread Madonna talk and comedy hijinks? A proposal and a broken engagement occurred in this short time.

I have an excuse though; I'm watching The Wire, which I've never seen before, from Season One on.

Anyone want to start a heroin empire with me?

lazarus said:
How did I miss 3 pages of pre-Madonna thread Madonna talk and comedy hijinks? A proposal and a broken engagement occurred in this short time.

I have an excuse though; I'm watching The Wire, which I've never seen before, from Season One on.

Anyone want to start a heroin empire with me?

I fucking told you to watch that shit. I'm sure a lot of people did, but on this site, I'm one of its biggest fans.

corianderstem said:
Can't. I'm too busy scheming against NSW with my divorce lawyer.

Uhh, good luck.

0000005727_20060919235321.jpg

I'm not ashamed to display my love for Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

It makes me cry. :(

No spoken words said:
My favorite Madonna song is Live to Tell.

I love that song.

If anyone steps to me about that song, like, when I'm in the streets, doing street things, a fight is inevitable. That's how much I like it.

Mine are This Used To Be My Playground ( :sad: ), Crazy For You, Borderline and Don't Tell Me. I'm absolutely crazy about those. Other than that, her songs fall on a continuum of meh to ick for me.

corianderstem said:
I'm not ashamed to display my love for Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

It makes me cry. :(

Dude. Lightfoot kicks all sorts of ass, and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise. :Canadian:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I love Sundown, too.

:up:

Me too, probably my all time favourite by him, although it's kind of hard to choose.

My Gordon Lightfoot love was reignited 4 or 5 years ago after they had a Lightfoot night on Canadian Idol*. The 3rd place contestant did an amazing version of Sundown, and I went back and listened to the original (along with a great deal of the rest of his catalogue) and realized how great the song is. Since then I've seen Lightfoot live, and have been kicking myself since, wondering why it took me so long. I'm considering seeing him again this May.

*I know you're an AI devotee, and I'm not sure how much, if anything, you know about CI, but that season has gone down as the stuff of legends. All of the top 8 or so were incredibly talented, and no season since has come close to measuring up.

We do get the CBC channel here in Seattle, but they don't seem to have much I want to watch. I'd love it if they aired the Canadian Idol.

(At least they had stellar Olympics coverage, at least when it was in Salt Lake City - I was unemployed at the time and spent many hours watching real, actual, non-shitty NBC-ized coverage.)

I couldn't tell you even one of the contestants or winners from CI, sadly. :( I'd love to get to watch other countries' versions of Idol.

corianderstem said:
We do get the CBC channel here in Seattle, but they don't seem to have much I want to watch. I'd love it if they aired the Canadian Idol.

I couldn't tell you even one of the contestants or winners from CI, sadly. :( I'd love to get to watch other countries' versions of Idol.

Of the top 3, they all had amazing voices, it really depended upon your personal preference for style or genre. Sadly, the winner, Kalan Porter, has put out a couple of albums of adult-oriented popish crap since. He's capable of so much more. :( The second place winner, Theresa Sokyrka had this smooth, melodic, smoky-jazzy-folkish voice. She's put out some indie stuff, but has mostly faded into oblivion. The 3rd place contestant has probably achieved the most fame. Jacob Hoggard fronts the band Hedley, and is the only CI contestant to date to have been signed to a major US label. On the show, I thought he had an amazing sense of theatricality and showmanship, with the pipes to go along with it. Unfortunately, Hedley is just another faux pop-punk band who have achieved quite a bit of fame in Canada (not sure how they're doing south of the border), but it's not my thing at all. IMO, his talent's being wasted.

One of the highlights of that season was on Lightfoot night, when the 6 remaining finalists did a group cover of his Canadian Railroad Trilogy, with each of them playing their instruments. It was chill-inducing.

[/hugedigressionfromtopic]

VintagePunk said:
Hedley is just another faux pop-punk band who have achieved quite a bit of fame in Canada (not sure how they're doing south of the border)

I've never heard of them, which might answer your question. :wink:

corianderstem said:

I've never heard of them, which might answer your question. :wink:

Just looking for the Canadian Railroad Trilogy performance, and I can't find it. :(

Here's the top 3 though. I'm sure you can guess who's who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdhqC2J1kE

Jacob's Space Oddity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua36tSxviu0&feature=related

Here's Jacob doing Sundown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdgS4SftNw&feature=related

Here's the top 10 group thing from the finale show. Some of it's crap that you can skip through, but there's one performance that fans still talk about on various CI fan sites at 3:20 of the video. Soloing with Jacob on Under Pressure is Shane Weibe, and they're both from Abbotsford, BC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80o2jA3x0s

Theresa and Kalan, top 2, doing True Colours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQ3tgqlkVM&feature=related

I'll shut up about CI, now. :reject:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom