I'm missing out on at least half of the songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Not sure if this belongs in ZC, but . . .

I was reading through the paragraphs in the Symphonic Mini-Tournament threads and I realize that I haven't had time to read or figure out lyrics to songs for quite a while now . . . years actually.

When I was much younger, I used to relish buying a cd, putting it on and lying on my bed reading the lyric sheet as the disc played on. That's why I know so many lyrics to 80s up through mid to late 90s music.

But then I graduated college and went to law school and blah blah blah and all that followed, and I just have never had time since then to really dig in to the lyrics to any new music.

I frickin' LOVE Bloc Party and I don't know the lyrics to 95% of their songs! (I did make an effort with "Waiting For The 7.18" because I absolutely adore that song and I just had to know what he was singing!) Even HTDAAB, I never really had time to sit down and figure out all the lyrics. I don't even think I could cite "Vertigo" lyrics accurately . . . and that song was everywhere.

Plus, so much new music is digitally downloaded and doesn't even have lyric sheets.

I guess it just bums me out. I feel like I'm missing over 1/2 the song without knowing the lyrics. I couldn't even partake in the Symphonic Mini-Tournament if I wanted to -- you have to know the lyrics to have a theme.

Damn growing older and not having time for youthful indulgences anymore! :madspit:

/ranting

I used to focus a lot more on lyrics than I do now. These days, I find myself drawn much more to the feel of the song and the music, and the lyrics are usually secondary.

itunes and way too many cd binges have alienated me from a lot of my music collection. I have over a thousand, but I miss the days of a few hundred that I really loved.

If I really like a song, I learn the words because how else can you sing along at the top of your lungs?

If I like the sound of the song, usually I take the time to learn the lyrics. Except for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, because there's so many and not much of it makes sense.

FitzChivalry said:
Not sure if this belongs in ZC, but . . .

I was reading through the paragraphs in the Symphonic Mini-Tournament threads and I realize that I haven't had time to read or figure out lyrics to songs for quite a while now . . . years actually.

When I was much younger, I used to relish buying a cd, putting it on and lying on my bed reading the lyric sheet as the disc played on. That's why I know so many lyrics to 80s up through mid to late 90s music.

But then I graduated college and went to law school and blah blah blah and all that followed, and I just have never had time since then to really dig in to the lyrics to any new music.

I frickin' LOVE Bloc Party and I don't know the lyrics to 95% of their songs! (I did make an effort with "Waiting For The 7.18" because I absolutely adore that song and I just had to know what he was singing!) Even HTDAAB, I never really had time to sit down and figure out all the lyrics. I don't even think I could cite "Vertigo" lyrics accurately . . . and that song was everywhere.

Plus, so much new music is digitally downloaded and doesn't even have lyric sheets.

I guess it just bums me out. I feel like I'm missing over 1/2 the song without knowing the lyrics. I couldn't even partake in the Symphonic Mini-Tournament if I wanted to -- you have to know the lyrics to have a theme.

Damn growing older and not having time for youthful indulgences anymore! :madspit:

/ranting

Yeah, "youthful indulgences"- how I relish the thought. I was on a :rant: the other day, too. Besides not having enough time to check into lyrics(more involved than opening a cd. )I used to look forward checking out new music from favorite bands, reading inserts from front to back-and turning up the volume real loud. AND not multi tasking while doing it!!
I am wishing for the days when I didn't have to be so responsible- for myself and my family.

corianderstem said:
I used to focus a lot more on lyrics than I do now. These days, I find myself drawn much more to the feel of the song and the music, and the lyrics are usually secondary.

Same here.

I can totally relate to what Fitz is saying, too. I used to study the lyrics, learn every word, and correct everyone around me who sang them wrong (okay, it's good I got over that phase) and now I just catch them here and there as they come.

I'm a Paul McCartney guy, myself. I'm drawn to the vocal melody and the song structure much more than the actual lyrics, at the moment.

You have songs like Imagine or "Pink Floyd's" The Gunner's Dream where it all comes together, but at other times you have something like Twist and Shout that just works because it's fucking awesome musically.

Yeah, but then sometimes the lyrics are soooooo great, i.e. AF's "(Antichrist Television Blues)" or practically any R.E.M. song or The Smiths "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" . . . that I feel like I'm missing out on great lyrics.

:shrug:

Oh well, I guess you can't know 'em all.

same problem
I still listen to music more or less the same way as I did 25 years ago
the difference would be that I only had new music then once every so often while now there's something to d/l, buy for pennies on e-bay everyday
so I think I just don't hear music enough anymore for the lyrics to get burnt into my brain

^ That's very true.

I'm actually always absolutely AMAZED at the breadth of the musical canon and vocabulary that the younger posters on here have.

Posters like LMP or LanceMC, who are still in high school I believe, and know everything from the Beatles to Bowie to Zep and Bob Dylan to 80s to 90s to Wilco, Beck, Radiohead . . . and not just one or two songs either, but those artists entire catalogues.

I'd probably be in REALLY big trouble if I knew how to download albums for free. (And I'd never know a single lyric again!) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom