I'm looking to you melon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
I need someone to tell me how to get rid of these "new type of pop ups." Melon, I think you are my man, as I have deduced from my observings that you are quite computer savvy.

Now it says in the popup itself "No spyware, virus or webpage is needed to put these big grey boxes in the middle of your screen. This is built into your operating system and very quickly being adopted as a new vector in online marketing..."

It then says "We hate these things, so we created software to disable this feature..."

Umm, if you hate these things then why did you create it???

Anybody else pissed off at people making pop up boxes in order to sell you software to stop the pop up boxes that THEY made???

If you didnt make the pop up boxes in the first place then we wouldn't need your software to get rid of your pop up boxes! This crap should seriously be illegal. It's like they are saying, "Hey, we'll screw up your system, but if ya pay us 30 bucks, we'll fix it back for ya."

I never use mulitple question marks or excalamtion points, thats how pissed off this makes me.

So I already have the spyware remover software, and anti pop up software for my browser, yet those dont work for these new pop ups, so my man, my brother, my melon, can ya help a friend in need out?

Or anybody else for that matter, please, I need help.

Are you talking about standard pop-up windows or more intrusive DHTML ones (ones that pop up in the middle of the page and force you to click a "Close" button)?

I have a pop-up stopper for the standard pop-up windows (which doesn't stop all of them, and it also stops some legitimate ones that you click on), but there is nothing, as far as I know, that stops the DHTML ones, because the technology is used everywhere.

Melon

Do you have Windows XP? If so, are you talking about the annoying Windows Messenger pop-ups? If this is the case, then you don't need any software, you can just disable Windows Messenger and that will stop your pop-ups.

YES YES YES

This just happened to me last night!!!!

I have the same problem - It has to do with WIndows Messenger Service and it pops up grey boxes asking to download ad stopper software (which I do not trust...).

I am not running XP but I think I am running Windows 98.

I searched for Messenger files and found nothing. How do I get rid of these?

One of the most common is one that send me to www.endads.com

there they try to sell you software to stop this.

IS THERE ANY WAY OF DISABLING MESSENGER SERVICE IN WINDOWS, AND IF SO HOW DOES IT EFFECT THE WEB BROWSER ETC???

IS THERE ANY WAY OF DISABLING MESSENGER SERVICE IN WINDOWS, AND IF SO HOW DOES IT EFFECT THE WEB BROWSER ETC??? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes there is, and it has no effect on anything else. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how I did it, I am at work now and I have Windows 2000 here and not Windows XP, so I will have to check when I get home.

All I remember is right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Manage. At some point there is a Device Manager window where it lists Windows Messenger. You just have to click on that and disable it.

I'm sorry these instructions are not that great, I will post better ones from my home computer.

On Windows XP, go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services then scroll down to Messenger and double-click. On the General tab, click on the Stop button. That should disable the grey pop-up boxes.

yes, mine are the same as ouizy's

they are a pain in the bizutt

i will try what meegannie says, if it works i owe you a kiss :sexywink:

For Windows XP, Right click on My Computer, select manage. Select services and applications. Double click on services, double click on messenger, on the general tab click stop, then apply. This should work for you!

Last edited:
OH...Messenger. Yes, I know what you're talking about now. It isn't related to Windows Messenger in the slightest. It is a network messenger applet, designed for system administrators to send real-time messages to clients within the LAN, but it isn't secure in the slightest. You'll only get it if you're running Windows 2000 or XP (maybe NT 4, but I doubt any of you here are using that anyway).

Anyhow, dipster and meegannie are correct. That's the way to disable the service. The network messenger service has no use for most of us anyway, so there is no problem in disabling it. And Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger will still work.

Melon

Last edited:
thank you thank you thank you to all who helped

come to st louis for your thank you smooch

even you melon :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom