I'm leaning towards the dark side...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
I state it now for all to see and all to hear...

If my New York Mets trade away Jose Reyes for Alfonso Soriano, I will renounce my fanship and become a New York Yankees fan. I've simply had enough, and here is why.

--Four years ago, a young man named Alex Rodriguez was a free agent. He made it clear to anyone who asked that his #1 choice was to sign with the New York Mets. He even went as far as going to Manhattan to look at apartments before the off-season signing period was to begin. Mets GM Steve Phillips says that the Mets have no interest in signing a "24 and 1" player, a guy who's too selfish and will never fit in with the team. A-Rod signs with Texas and establishes himself as the best all-around player in baseball.

--Mets assistant general manager Omar Minya is offered the job as GM of the Montreal Expos. The Mets have a decision to make... keep Minya or keep Phillips. They decide to keep Phillips and name Jim Duqette as new assistant GM.

--Phillips brings in Roberto Alomar, Jeremey Burnitz, Mo Vaughn...

--The Mets spend 120 million last year, rasing ticket prices to match the increased payroll. The team proceeds to suck.

--Omar Minya's Montreal Expos hang around .500 despite having no owner, no fans, no resources, no true home stadium, and no knowledge of where they might be playing the following year. He's heralded around baseball as one of the bright young GMs in the game.

--The Mets fire Steve Phillips, replacing him on an interum basis. with Jim Duqette. THey then proceded to trade away all the sucky, high priced players, getting fewer prospects in return because they didn't want to eat the salary.

--The Mets bring up shortstop Jose Reyes from the minors, proclaim him to be the cornerstone of the franchise's rebuilding plan at shortstop, and he performs up to expectations, giving we self-depricating met fans a little glimpse of hope for the future.

--The Mets have an opportunity to bring Minaya back. They interview him for the GM job. Instead of offering him the job outright, they ask him if he'll share the job with Jim Duqette. Minaya says no, and the Mets remove the interum tag from Dueqette's name.

--The Mets say they're gonna build around Reyes at short. Their first offseason move is to sign Kaz Matsui out of Japan... a shortstop. They now say Reyes will move to second, and that they're gonna build a solid up-the middle defense as their core, and piece together the puzzle from there. They sign Mike Cameron, a gold glove centerfielder, so they look as if they actually have a plan.

--Despite saying that they will not make a move for any major free agents this year at the start of the off-season, they decided to go after Vlad Guerrero when he's still there in December. But they refuse to offer gauranteed money because of his previous back injury, and the Anaheim Angels swoop right in and steal him away.

--Alex Rodriguez is traded to the New York Yankees for Alfonso Soriano, making the Boston Red Sox and the New York Mets both look insanely stupid... thus the ultimate Steinbrenner move.

And this leads up to today... where news comes out that the Mets are trying to work out a deal in which they'd trade Reyes to Texas for Soriano. Admitedly... right now, Soriano is a better player than Reyes. Reyes is also 5 years younger. It is quite possiable that Reyes will never become as good as Soriano is now, and it's also quite possiable that Soriano will improve beyond what he is now, and right now he's a 30 homerun, 40 stolen base, 100+ runs scored guy.

If the Mets make this trade it proves that they have no plan for the future, and no idea of how they're gonna build this team back into a contender. They're not winning the world series with reyes this year, and they ain't winning it with soriano either. This rumored trade would simply be nothing more than an impluse buy... something to respond to the bad press they're getting now because of the Yankee/A-Rod thing. And that inturn turns the New York Mets into the Boston Red Sox. The biggest problem Boston Red Sox management and fans have is that they always try to match themselves up with the Yankees, instead of just building the best team they can regardless of what the Yankees do. So if the Mets now and go trade away Reyes for Soriano, a move that sooo obviously is a response to what the Yankees have done, rather than keeping Reyes, finishing around .500 this year, and then going out and adding a Maglieo Ordonez or a similar free agent next year... then I'm done. I am done as a Mets fan. How can you justify to me that trading Reyes for Soriano is a good move when a month ago you could've had Vlad Guerrero and kept Reyes. How can you justify to me as a fan that you raise the ticket prices in order to pay for a 120 million dollar payroll, then trade away all the high priced players to the point that you now have an 80 million dollar payroll... but you then do not lower the ticket prices to match the drop in payroll? The franchise is run like a joke and I've had enough... so if they do indeed pull of this move, I am stating here for one and all to see that I will toss away all my Mets stuff and officialy become a fan of the hated New York Yankees. That's how strongly I feel about this...

sidenote... i know that to most people this thread is useless, i just needed to vent and get it out in the open. thank you.

:shame:

theres always a light at the end of the tunnel

switch allegiances to the yankees? sell your soul to the devil while youre at it. its ok if youre a brainwashed young child, but you know now of your sins.

stick with your guns. who woulda thunk arizona, anaheim, florida would be the last 3 champs? anything can happen.

If the Mets do trade for Soriano it will be proof that my thoery about him having peaked last year and being on the downside of his career. The reports will probaly then come out that he's not 28 as we just learned, but in fact 38, just 17 years younger than El Duque.

fred wilpon came out yesterday and said there is no way he would trade jose reyes for alfonso soriano...

crisis averted... for now...

and as for the "selling my soul" comment... i wouldn't see it that way. i don't hate the yankees anymore. as a kid i did, but now i really don't. it's silly to do so. i could care less what the yankees do... all i care about is what the team that i root for does. there's way too much pointing of fingers by poorly managed teams at the yankees. the red sox are blaming the yankees for pete's sake... they have the 2nd highest pay roll in baseball! talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:
Arod has been on the front or back cover of the Post for 10 days now. That's reason enough to hate the Yankees, overexposure. It's also a reason NOT to buy the Post.:|

Back
Top Bottom