I'm in love with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelordevil

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
...Radiohead's 'The Bends'. I know I may be preaching to the converted for many of you...but if you haven't heard it (yes, I'm ashamed to admit I belonged to that group until a few weeks ago) you must listen.

I always dwelled on 'Ok Computer' because of its critical acclaim, but I think TB may be better. It's amazing that it came out 10 years ago...it sounds so current and raw...and timely, in terms of Thom Yorke's lyrics about fear, etc.

It takes a great deal to impress me....but this cd more than did the trick. If U2 are the best band in this world, maybe Radiohead deserve a planet of their own to reign supreme.

I'll go back to living under my rock now.... :reject:

Last edited:
WOOO HOOO. And I love you!

The Bends IS better than OK Computer. It's simply one of the most explosively exciting albums to listen to. A lot of the lyrics are still kinda downers, but the music here is just so uplifting and beautiful. In my not so humble opinion, The Bends is Radiohead's greatest musical accomplishment.

Off topic, I'm having a hard time feeling that Radiohead haven't begun a tragic slide downhill in quality lately. I feel HTTT is easily their weakest album, and the only truely great song to come out of those sessions was Gagging Order (which I adore).

I have a feeling their next album will also be disappointing, at which point there is no going back for Radiohead. You know, two crap albums in a row.

I certainly hope it isn't true, but it very well may be.

Well.. it's never too late to discover something good! :up: The Bends is easily one of the best albums of the 90s and my favorite Radiohead album, a tad higher than OK.

What can I say? I like OK Computer and Kid A more, but..

The Bends is still absolutely stunning.

Radiohead at their poppiest and mainstreamiest.

I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

u2popmofo said:

I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

Is it really, though? Poppiest and mainstreamist? From what I recall, it didn't exactly race up the charts or sell scores at Walmart.
I think it could have been more poppier if they wanted it that way, like in a hit-generator fashion. 'My Iron Lung' could have been a massive hit, for example, if it was watered down. I love how it starts pretty and Beatles-esque, and then the crazy reverb near the end takes it somewhere else...beautiful chaos.

For me, that's a good thing. I admit it - I prefer accessible music. Give me a good melody over loads of experimentation. I own OK Computer, but honestly, I don't get it. I love three songs on it, and don't quite get the raves over it.

What I heard of Kid A, I very strongly disliked (except for Everything In Its Right Place, which, for whatever reason, totally works).

For my "experimental cred," however, I will say I own two Sigur Ros CDs. :wink:

:bump:

Didn't wanna start yet another thread on this topic...

I freakin' LOVE The Bends!!! I think it's one of the greatest albums of all time! Been listening to it, to and from work today. Planet Telex is a spooky and fantastic 'air drums' opener. Street Spirit is the perfect closer, comparable to Wake Up Dead Man. And every song in between is GOLD.

I'm actually eligible for a free cd from BMG. Maybe I should get Kid A cos I only have Bends and OK so far.

I had to review this album once. I really like a lot of the songs on there, especially the title track, Sulk and Black Star. I don't like Fake Plastic Trees and Nice Dream. I feel pretty much middle of the road for everything else. "My Iron Lung" also always reminded me of Creep too much, though I'm sure it really doesn't and I just need to hear it again.

In the end, I ended up giving it a six out of ten. I actually expected to give it a higher mark myself, at least eight. Or maybe I just wanted to see Radiohead fans get pissed off. :wink:

The Sad Punk said:
"My Iron Lung" also always reminded me of Creep too much, though I'm sure it really doesn't and I just need to hear it again.

Actually, I have heard that these lyrics in My Iron Lung are a reference to Creep:

This, this is our new song
Just like the last one
A total waste of time

But, to me, My Iron Lung and Just are what real rock is all about.

Yeah, those lines are a reference to 'Creep' and the sort of 'One Hit Wonder' status Radiohead seemed to be lumbered with after that single.

On the subject of 'The Bends' being a "Poppy/Mainstream" album, I think there's a big difference between that and just being more accessible than an album such as 'Kid A'. It's not as if Radiohead were following a trend and just making a record in the same vein as half the others out there.

If anything, a ton of British bands NOW are conning themselves into believing that people have forgotten about the Bends 10 years on and they can try and emulate for their own wicked ends in this decade! :wink:

gareth brown said:

On the subject of 'The Bends' being a "Poppy/Mainstream" album, I think there's a big difference between that and just being more accessible than an album such as 'Kid A'. It's not as if Radiohead were following a trend and just making a record in the same vein as half the others out there.

I agree. Just because an album is more accessible musically doesn't necessarily mean that it's mainstream or unoriginal. Hey, people who listen to say, boy bands and Britney may find the Bends very inaccessible. It's all relative.

On a side note.. in reply to lmj's :angry: stare, I never got myself a copy of Kid A cos I was too weirded out by the samples I heard when it was released. At the time, I was still into a lot more guitar oriented rock and at first listen to those samples on the internet, I was like What the fuck is this? Where are the guitars??? But now I'm curious about it, along with Hail to the Thief.

Haha! I was thankfully going through a 'weird phase' when I first heard Kid A a couple of years ago (it's nearly five since it came out, sometime in the first half of October) so I was up for anything...this was after hearing OK Computer and Amnesiac [the more 'guitary' of the Kid A/Amnesiac set] so I was rather 'blown away'! :ohmy:

I just got Kid A... it seems weird so far. But I'm sure I'll get into it because Radiohead is :drool:

The Bends... what a fuckin' great album. As an ALBUM I think OK is better, but The Bends has better songs overall. I'm in love with the song Just. It's perfect. I also love The Bends, High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was, and Street Spirit (Fade Out). Man I love The Bends. Maybe I do like it more than OK Computer...

After hearing so much about Radiohead, I just brought The Bends today (I didn't own any Radiohead albums before today).

Have to say, even on first listen, Im very impressed with this album. :)

Kid A > The Bends > Everything else > OK Computer

Though I think The Bends sounds very 90's and dated, but in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom