Im gonna ask a ridiculous question, about marriage and a child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
I know I should know the answer to this and all, and that it will sound like the most hilarious question to ask, :D, but I will ask anyhow.

I was curious on it.

If a man and woman marry and she doesn't take his name, if they have a child, does that child fall automatically under the father's surname? Or is it a choice?

:happy:

;)

please dont laff!

I think...it would be kind of expected that the child take the father's name, but it's not actually compulsory - the parents can choose whichever name they prefer.

:shrug: I don't know about children, but here usually the wife gets husband's last name. If not, she can use her maiden last name or use both last names.

Maybe it's the same for children - they get the mother's name.

In my state at least, if a child is born to a mother and father with two different last names, the child is automatically given the mother's last name at first. Then the mother can change the last name of the child to the father's if she and the father want to. This has happened to a few people I know. And it could happen to me if I ever have children, since I did not take my husband's last name when we got married.

Maddie here in Norn Iron you can choose what name the child takes

My aunt didnt change her name and 2 of her children have her surname but she had a baby earlier this year and she has her dads surname - confusing I know :shrug:

I've met hundreds of Middle-Easterners and Asians who, despite being married, maintain their birth name, the wife's rarely take on the husband's last name; the children seem to have the Father's surname...but I guess it can go either way... they've explained it as a cultural thing and matter of choice.

Hispanics for example....Jose Miguel Cervantes Gonzales...

Jose Miguel (first and middle names) Cervantes (father's last name) Gonzales (mother's last name).

It can be confusing because they introduce themselves as
First, Middle and Last but when they ID themselves properly it includes all 4. :scream:

oh jaysus

well u missed 'CoCo-the-Clown' in there somewhere to Pub....;)

:tongue:

I forgot (not pickin on anyone in these circumstances) but my friend who had a baby with a guy, well, they split before he was born....so never married........has the child under both their surnames.

I tell ya what had me curious.............hearing that Helena Christienson (sp?)married and kept her name (or if it wasnt her it was some other celeb), and having a kid, was wondering about the surname just.

:)

:wave:

:der:

this thread just reminded me of my own niece. i don't even know which last name she has. my sister-in-law kept her maiden name when she and my brother got married. i would assume that what HeartlandGirl said would be true and that she'd automatically get her mother's name? :confused: now i'm curious. i'll have to look thru my old emails and see if i can find out.

Hey ABEL--

in both cases, the baby had the mother's name for only a short period of time, maybe a few hours, until the mother could review the birth certificate. In one case, the baby had the mother's name on his hospital bracelet, but then she officially changed it on the birth certificate. All the babies I knew ended up having the father's name.

HeartlandGirl said:
Hey ABEL--

in both cases, the baby had the mother's name for only a short period of time, maybe a few hours, until the mother could review the birth certificate. In one case, the baby had the mother's name on his hospital bracelet, but then she officially changed it on the birth certificate. All the babies I knew ended up having the father's name.

:hmm: perhaps she is hyphenated?

i'm going to go thru my old emails this weekend and see if there's something on the birth announcement they mailed oout.

my daughter wants to change her last name to mine. she's been bugging me about it for months. im seriously considering it.

Back
Top Bottom