I'm going on a cruise- any tips you can give me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I'm going on a 5-day cruise to the Bahamas. This is my first time that I ever went on one. Anyone here that has had this experience? If so, do you have an tips & information you could give me? I'm leaving next week on the 21st.

Thanks
Tiny Dancer

1. Try to smuggle aboard your own alcohol - they charge so much for drinks on the ship.

2. Don't try to do too much - it'll be activities galore on the ship so don't try to do everything, you'll just tire yourself out.

3. Indulge on the food - it's great and unlimited. Get multiple dinners and try things you otherwise wouldn't. Just be a little careful because stomach bugs love cruises too!

What cruise line are you going on? I've only been aboard Princess, but my better half has been on Carnival and Holland America as well.

• Try to avoid the flesh-eating bacteria
  • Don't breathe in the air from the ventilation system
  • Smoke weed 420 all day
Other than this, I am quite envious as a self-contained floating environment is eventually what I plan to live on and use as a base of operations for an international rescue organization with several different types of rocket ships.

Last edited:
don't get conned into going on some of the "tours" basically you're kept captive while they try to get you to buy stuff.

Touring a rum factory= getting dropped off at a liquor store where they lock the bus so you have to go in.

If you can visit Atlantis or Paradise Island :up: If you can, stay at Atlantis and don't leave :wink:

Walk everywhere. Eat all you want but don't take the elevators or escalators. On our Alaskan cruise, our room was 5 stories below everything. We walked up and down the stairs instead of elevating, and we were able to keep the extra weight off. We only used the elevators when we had luggage to deal with, which was twice during the entire week. :)

Activities on the ship are the best way to spend your time. They do so many nightly shows and have different acts and stuff. :hyper:
That's my favorite part of cruising, to be honest.

Canadiens1160 said:
  • Try to avoid the flesh-eating bacteria
  • Don't breathe in the air from the ventilation system
  • Smoke weed 420 all day
Other than this, I am quite envious as a self-contained floating environment is eventually what I plan to live on and use as a base of operations for an international rescue organization with several different types of rocket ships.

:lmao:

Never been on a cruise myself :reject:

Have fun Tinydancer!!!

I love cruises!

:hmm:
Well, let's see......

1. Try to smuggle aboard your own alcohol - they charge so much for drinks on the ship.

2. Don't try to do too much - it'll be activities galore on the ship so don't try to do everything, you'll just tire yourself out.

3. Indulge on the food - it's great and unlimited. Get multiple dinners and try things you otherwise wouldn't. Just be a little careful because stomach bugs love cruises too!

tiny dancer said:
I'm going on a 5-day cruise to the Bahamas. This is my first time that I ever went on one.

Tiny ... Since this is your first cruise ... you won't know if you get seasick or not until you're on the ship ... so make sure you go to the doctor and ask for a prescription for a 'TransDerm' patch ... as it will prevent you from getting seasick. :up:

So you know, Tiny ... Those wristbands cannot be concealed very well.
Anybody who sees your wrist will know what that wristband is for.
And if you plan on taking photos (of course, you will) ... who wants to see that wristband on your wrist in the picture.
I like the 'TransDerm' patch because you can place it anywhere on your body ... upper arms, thighs, your lower back, or even close to your rear-end and no one will ever know you're wearing one.
Plus when you swim ... the patch stays in place and won't fall off in the water. :up:

if your a guy-take lots of condoms
if yours a girl-take lots of condoms for the guys

get a single cabin
get drunk
and let the rough seas do the work for you! :wink:

find yourself a captain of the world :D

1_22_titanic_dicaprio.jpg

MsMofoGone said:
So you know, Tiny ... Those wristbands cannot be concealed very well.
Anybody who sees your wrist will know what that wristband is for.
And if you plan on taking photos (of course, you will) ... who wants to see that wristband on your wrist in the picture.
I like the 'TransDerm' patch because you can place it anywhere on your body ... upper arms, thighs, your lower back, or even close to your rear-end and no one will ever know you're wearing one.
Plus when you swim ... the patch stays in place and won't fall off in the water. :up:

:sad: I have to wear my wristbands on carousels, so I never care who sees them. I only took them off to shower or go ashore. Yes, I even wore them sleeping.

martha said:
I only took them off to shower or go ashore.

:hmm:
Once you remove that wristband for more than 30 minutes or so, doesn't the effects of wearing it wear off ?? I've heard the potent level of medicine in your system dwindles down ... and you can become ill even before your body has a chance to absorb the medicine from another applied wristband. This was the case, last April, with one of my friends ... that's another reason why I think using the patch is better. :up:
The patch stays on until you take it off ... and it lasts for about 72 hours at a time. So it doesn't need to be changed that often and it stays on securely when you wear it (without being noticeable)

MsMofoGone said:
Once you remove that wristband for more than 30 minutes or so, doesn't the effects of wearing it wear off ?? I've heard the potent level of medicine in your system dwindles down ... and you can become ill even before your body has a chance to absorb the medicine from another applied wristband.

They're not medicine at all! They apply pressure on a place on the wrist which somehow prevents the sick feeling. They work great without any drugs! On cruises, I never feel dizzy or sick once with them on, and I get sick on merry-go-rounds. They're only 12 bucks at Sport Chalet, with none of the icky side effects of drugs. :)

Thanks everyone for your tips & suggestions. I ended up geting the waist bands, for all the pharmacies in my local area had a hard time getting the patches. Guess a lot of people are going away for the Holidays.

One more thing. What's the best way to pack clothing made out of linden? I have quite a few items of clothing that iare linden, and there will be no irons or ironing boards in the cabins.

Originally posted by martha
They're not medicine at all!

Yes, you're right !! Actually, my friend started taking Dramamine ... because the wristband didn't give her 'continued' relief. The wristbands are NOT recommended for long voyages/trips ... they ARE recommended for short distance travel. She was on a 7 day cruise and she had problems with the wristbands ... as they didn't keep her seasickness under control. She then had to resort to using medicine pills ... since she didn't get any patches.

They apply pressure on a place on the wrist which somehow prevents the sick feeling.

The wristbands create 'pressure signals' (on an acu-pressure point) that travel through the median nerve (in your arm) which in turn then travel to the brain. Once the 'pressure signals' reach the brain ... the 'neurological pain signals' (which cause motion sickness symptons) are reduced ... therefore offering relief.

MsMofoGone said:
The wristbands are NOT recommended for long voyages/trips ... they ARE recommended for short distance travel. She was on a 7 day cruise and she had problems with the wristbands ... as they didn't keep her seasickness under control. She then had to resort to using medicine pills ... since she didn't get any patches.

Dang. She has it worse than me. My "power bracelets" worked great for the week-long Alaska cruise.

Wash your hands constantly. A boat is as bad as a plane for germs. Consider packing mini purell-type of anti-bacteria lotion bottles. Pack your own pillow maybe. Nothing like drooling all over a pillow that has been used for someone elses pleasures.

:ohmy:

Take your u2.com card for those VIP lines. :wink:

the wristbands don't help me either. I still wore them the whole time though. Maybe it was mental, though I get sick in the backseat of a car so I may be extreme.

One of my best friends didn't like the patch. If I remember right it had to do with consuming alcohol while wearing it.

Bring a spray bottle and hang your clothes up as soon as you get in to get wrinkles out.I can't imagine packing well enough to not wrinkle linen. I don't buy linen because I'm opposed to ironing.

Last edited:
Dang. She has it worse than me.

Yes, she got very, very sick. (by the end of only Day 2)

My "power bracelets" worked great for the week-long Alaska cruise.

How was the ocean ?? Did you experience any 'turbulence' from storms ??
My friend's cruise was to the Caribbean Islands and although she went during the Spring months
(as recommended, since the storm weather activity is considered mostly 'dorment' during that time)
she still had difficulty with the ship's motion. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom