I'm getting the Star Wars OT from NetFlix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
You know, the ORIGINAL original trilogy that Lucas has only JUST NOW gotten around to releasing(as in this past Tuesday, three days ago), after releasing the SE OT(which I love too) on DVD in 2004 and saying the OOT would never see DVD release? The one that he's now packaged with the SE OT DVDs THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR IN 2004, and that are only available for a 'LIMITED TIME'(aka until the end of this year)? He wants me and everyone else to pay another $60 for three DVDs that I ALREADY HAVE just to get the other three - the original original trilogy. It's highway robbery. He might as well be wearing a mask and holding a gun in one hand and a crowbar in the other.

So, I inquired at my local Hollywood Video store if they had these available for rent; they didn't, they only had them to buy. So then I checked NetFlix and, WOOHOO, they have the OOT. So I'm gonna get the OOT off NetFlix, make copies for myself, send the DVDs back to NetFlix, and then enjoy having managed to get my hands on the OOT DVDs without giving Lucas the money he wants(as if he needs it).

Bitter, are we? :lol:

I could care less myself. I like the remastered versions. The only scene that bothers me is the Han/Greedo one, since he really does shoot first. But other than that, I'm fine. I'm certainly not spending another $50 or so to get the originals now.

The scene with Hayden Christensen being imposed as a force spirit at the end of Return of the Jedi is pure retardation.

Other than that, I prefer the SEs, they're the only ones I've seen.

Can you get the special edition without the Hayden Christian stupidity? I liked the added scenes to the originals but I hate that they added that into Return of the Jedi

bono_212 said:
Can you get the special edition without the Hayden Christian stupidity? I liked the added scenes to the originals but I hate that they added that into Return of the Jedi

The only way is to get the '97 SEs on VHS, which have their own series of problems:

Luke's Palpatine scream as he falls down the huge shaft in Empire?
Greedo shooting first? I mean WTF.

One thing I did love were the new CGI bits, the Jabba scene, and in Star Wars you can spot Dash Rendar and the Outrider in Mos Eisley.
Which is awesome since I was a huge Shadows of the Empire fan.

Last edited:
The adding of the scream when Luke falls and the young version of Anakin in Jedi were pathetic. How come Obi-Wan didn't look young when he appeared as a ghost at the end? Lucas is an overrated hack!!

There is also a rumour of a huge release next year celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars so he will leech even more money out of the some fans.

I ain't buying the new versions. I have the original series on letterbox VHS from the mid 90's.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have the original trilogy on VHS
I have the special edition on VHS

I didn't buy the dvds because
1)I'm waiting and hoping for a box set of all six movies so I don't have to keep buying them (I don't own any of them on DVD yet)
2)I didn't like that they put hayden into the end of ROTJ

So, I am still holding out for a version with both the OT and the Original Special Edition, not the new special edition with Hayden

Does that make sense?

George Lucas is out of control with this stuff. I've been a Star Wars fan all my life, and it gives me a migraine just trying to keep up with all of these different "editions".

I have the originals on video, the 1997 SE versions on video, and the 2004 versions on DVD. I'm not getting the latest OOT release because he didn't even bother cleaning up the picture from the laserdisc transfer... I would've considered it if he had. lol.

But yeah, here's a list of all the different "versions" Lucasfilm has whored out:

- Original versions (VHS & laser disc)

- Limited editions w/improved THX sound FX (VHS & laser disc)

- 1997 special editions (theatrical + VHS)

- 2004 SE + more modifcations (DVD)

- 2007 "Archival/definitive" editions of all 6 films for 30th anniversary release ("final" changes will be made) (DVD)... "grand saga box set" w/tons of bonus material that they've been "saving"

- 2007 3-D versions of all 6 movies, starting with A New Hope (theatrical)

ARGH. And I know I'm going to cave in and get that "grand saga box set". I just... can't... resist. Curse you, Lucas! :sad:

<----disgruntled nerd :reject:

Last edited:
3-d :ohmy:

But they are coming out wiht a "grand mega endoftheworld that's right everysingle star wars movie in one huge box saga set"? Cause that's whatI'm waiting for

I still have the letterbox VHS tapes, and I'm hesitant to buy the new releases on DVD, if only because it's so ridiculous to give George Lucas even more money.

Screw him.

bono_212 said:
3-d :ohmy:

But they are coming out wiht a "grand mega endoftheworld that's right everysingle star wars movie in one huge box saga set"? Cause that's whatI'm waiting for

Probably in 2007

then in 2012, 2017, etc...

and every other next generation home video system.

corianderstem said:
I still have the letterbox VHS tapes, and I'm hesitant to buy the new releases on DVD, if only because it's so ridiculous to give George Lucas even more money.

Screw him.

Yeah, if you're ever going to get the movies on DVD, I'd wait until this "ultimate final definitive archival grand mega super deluxe saga" box set comes out next year. He'll be making even more changes, but like I said, I'll probably get it for the extra features. :sigh: At the same time, though, it pisses me off because he knows everyone's going to go out and buy every new edition that comes out... and it's just encouraging him. He certainly knows how to milk these movies for all they're worth.

Back
Top Bottom