I'm digging those Stripes that are White

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
So... I just recently re-discovered Elephant. Had the album for ages but it suddenly hit me again and I can't stop listening to it. This is the only album of theirs that I have and now I want more. Where to go next? White Blood Cells looks interesting. But De Stijl has a better rating on amazon. Granted, it's amazon but still... Or Icky Thump? I don't know. If it helps, my favorite songs on Elephant are Ball and Biscuit, ..Button to Button, I Want to be the boy to.., Little Acorns, the last song :cute: and of course 7 Nation Army. Definitely love the rocking bluesy Stripes though! :drool:

Elephant is their best album by far. :rockon: De Stijl is also pretty great.

I'm in the minority that thinks the last two were good, but not great. Get Behind Me Satan felt unfinished, and Icky Thump was so overproduced it barely sounded like a White Stripes album.

The earlier albums are a lot more stripped down. I would suggest Icky Thump because it's a good combination of Elephant's RAWK and the eccentricity of their earlier recordings. Then go back to White Blood Cells (I think it's just as good as DeStijl), and just go in reverse from there.

Get Behind Me Satan could be squeezed in there somewhere, but it's going to seem disappointing if you love Elephant so much. I'd check it out last, or between DeStijl and the self-titled.

I really like Icky Thump :up:

Icky Thump,
300 M.p.h. Torrential Outpour Blues,
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told),
Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn,
I'm Slowly Turning Into You,
Effect And Cause

all wicked tracks

Icky Thump is my personal favorite, largely owing to its eclecticism. De Stijl, however, is a very close second. It has a primal energy that really captivates.

The White Stripes fucking kick ass...make NO mistake about it.

I own and love all their albums. I purchased White Blood Cells first, as I'm sure a lot of people did, based on seeing the music videos for the fucking awesome singles Fell In Love With a Girl and Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground.

It snowballed from there...

06A%20White%20Stripes.jpg

They're so damn cute, too.

:D

:cute: Meg

I don't think anyone should discount their debut. It's mostly just for those who are into the blues, but it's a good time. Jimmy The Exploder fucking owns. :rockon:

Thanks, guys. I forgot to add that I love Black Math too. Fucking rocks!

ETA: Also, Hypnotize! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

You like the rockers. Can't blame you there, so do I :yes: I'd go with White Blood Cells, Icky Thump and the first, in any order. De Stijl is a bit mellower but still has plenty to offer as does Get Behind. I'd get the other three first.

Yeah those two as well! Such a consistently excellent album! I'll probably end up going with WBC. :hmm: I do already have that one song Fell In Love With A Girl! :rockon:

I really like Icky Tump. The Stripes are really great - I'm seeing Raconteurs on Monday, can't wait!

Blue Orchid :up:

All their other singles :down:

...just for me personally.

White's vocal is just too unlistenably ghastly.

I love disagreeing with just about everything you say.

That being said, "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" is my favorite song off of Elephant, one of my favorite albums. White Blood Cells and Icky Thump kick ass, too. Satan is a good album, but I can't put it up with those three. I've only heard chunks of the rest of their albums, not the full things.

I love disagreeing with just about everything you say.

That being said, "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" is my favorite song off of Elephant, one of my favorite albums. White Blood Cells and Icky Thump kick ass, too. Satan is a good album, but I can't put it up with those three. I've only heard chunks of the rest of their albums, not the full things.

You put higher priority on watching Hot Rod than listening to De Stijl, one of the finest albums of the decade? :tsk: Shame on you.

You put higher priority on watching Hot Rod than listening to De Stijl, one of the finest albums of the decade? :tsk: Shame on you.

Have you listened to enough albums to make that claim? Go back to Pitchfork, champ.

Wow! Not even Seven Nation Army? It was a single, right?

Anyway, Blue Orchid was the song that turned me away from the Stripes. After Elephant, I thought it was boring in comparison and had no interest in getting Get Behind Me Satan. So I'm really surprised that is the only song you like!

Wow! Not even Seven Nation Army? It was a single, right?

Anyway, Blue Orchid was the song that turned me away from the Stripes. After Elephant, I thought it was boring in comparison and had no interest in getting Get Behind Me Satan. So I'm really surprised that is the only song you like!

Seven Nation Army I've never liked as a song, though I do like it as a chant at football matches. Icky Thump is just Yukky Junk for me.

It's White's vocal that mainly kills off any appreciation I could have for the White Stripes. And that red,white,black colour combo is just frustratingly pointless..

The band just doesn't crack enough for me.

I did enjoy My Doorbell a little but I was told that it was a cover, though I can't find any evidence from Wikipedia that it was?

I was put off by White's vocal on Icky Thump's title track too. But the song has sort of grown on me. I especially like that one line... White Americans, what? nothing better to do? why don't you kick yourself out, you're an immigrant too. :lol: The black, red and white color combo is I think pretty cool. It's from the De Stijl movement or something, I was reading about it yesterday. I love their Elephant cover and have to say they have used the minimalistic design thing pretty well on all their covers! They don't look stale to me at all.

I did enjoy My Doorbell a little but I was told that it was a cover, though I can't find any evidence from Wikipedia that it was?

I don't know that My Doorbell was a cover - are you thinking of Conquest off the last album? That's a cover of, of all things, a Patti Page tune. That cracks me up. :lol:

I was surprised by how thoroughly I liked the last album. I have Elephant but don't care for all the songs. Recently picked up White Blood Cells just so I could have a "real" copy of Fell In Love With a Girl, but I haven't spent enough time with the album yet to see how much I like it altogether.

The White Stripes fucking kick ass...make NO mistake about it.

:up:

I wasn't really fussed on The White Stripes until I listened to Elephant on a car trip. Loved them ever since.

It's not a cover but I'm almost certain it was covered on BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge.

Live Lounge :heart:

Tags are useless if there isn't one for "cracking." I just tried to use tag search and all that happened was a bunch of bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom