I'll be shocked if anyone here owns...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
...any Leica and the Cosmonauts.

Finnish surf music. :hmm:

Just heard 'em interviewed on public radio yesterday.... they're playing some gigs in New York this week. Fun, quirky stuff.

I will be buying a CD or two shortly and I'll let y'all know.

I have downloaded one of their tracks once

I think it was the same song that made Dick Dale 'famous' again when it was played in Pulp Fiction

Nope don't have any of that, but I have another one that I'd be shocked (pleasantly, of course!) if anyone had, or had even heard of (other than in my posts). It is Isidore, which is a collaboration between Steve Kilbey of The Church and Jeffery Cain of the late Remy Zero. SK wrote the lyrics and does the singing (his brother John does the backing vocals) and JC wrote the music (former RZ mates G. Slay and C. Lemoyne help out on drums and bass, respectively). It's a stunningly beautiful album... I really think it's some of the best work SK has ever done.

What the hell is it lately with the Finnish music scene??

Finland will take over the world soon with it's thrash metal/surf/disco style.

:hmm:

I thought the band was called "laika and the Cosmonauts"
so that could also be why I never found another track of them :hmm:

Every time I come here I find a bunch of threads about people I never heard of :huh:

I've found a lot of my now favorite music by perusing music message boards and checking out interesting sounding music. Occasionally there are complete duds, sure, but when you get one that you love -- what a great feeling!

Salome said:
I thought the band was called "laika and the Cosmonauts"
so that could also be why I never found another track of them :hmm:

If this is the case, then I have heard of them :D
:up:

I feel almost cool now.
:wink:

Yeah, you're correct about the spelling, Salome. Funny too, it didn't surprise me that you have heard of them as you seem to have a very eclectic taste in music. :wink:

Finnish + surf might not seem to make much sense, but some bands seem to just dig the aesthetic of the music. For example, there's a Russian band in L.A. called The Red Elvises who also have that surf (i.e. Dick Dale guitar) sound. They have songs with titles such as "Surfing in Siberia" and "Cosmic Surf." I've seen 'em play on the street in Santa Monica and they are a hoot. http://www.redelvises.com/redelvises/

This song, Almost Sleeping, sounds a bit like that song...I think it's a No Doubt song.
Or maybe Kylie.
Or maybe neither of them. But it sounds familiar.
Somehow.

Angela Harlem said:
This song, Almost Sleeping, sounds a bit like that song...I think it's a No Doubt song.
Or maybe Kylie.
Or maybe neither of them. But it sounds familiar.
Somehow.

Angela Harlem, do you have a link to an mp3? thx.

pub crawler said:
...any Leica and the Cosmonauts.

Finnish surf music. :hmm:

Just heard 'em interviewed on public radio yesterday.... they're playing some gigs in New York this week. Fun, quirky stuff.

I will be buying a CD or two shortly and I'll let y'all know.

:angry:

yertle-the-turtle said:
are the Rasmus Finnish? I saw them on MTV today. I am strangely attracted to their sound...

As am I. Not sure entirely what to make of them yet.

Back
Top Bottom