If you were judged just by the music you listen to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
If someone just looked at your music library and knew NOTHING about you, your gender, age, etc., who would they think you are?

Since most of the artists/music I listen to is older than I am, a person looking at my music would probably assume that I'm in my 40s (as opposed to 20s) with a love of classic rock, and little to no pop, country, or rap (with the exception of 80s pop, which harkens back to the age thing).

So, what would people assume about you based on your music?

They'd think "who/what the fuck is this kid"? :slant:

I have no particular taste, and enjoy dozens of genres. :kiss: They probably wouldn't think I'm 17, however.

Well, if we're talking about broad assumptions they'd probably guess I'm a female since female artists take up more than a quarter of my collection. And though I've got a wide mix of decades and genres, it's mostly dominated by the 90s and 00s releases, so the guess would be a person in their 20s or 30s (I'm 27). I doubt they'd pick up a Russian background from my music, since it's 98% English-speaking bands/artists.

They'd probably think I had a major thing for The Church and Steve Kilbey. Why they would think that I have no earthly idea. :shifty:

LemonMelon said:
They'd think "who/what the fuck is this kid"? :slant:

Haha. Mine would prob be the same.

Rock, country, pop, glam rock, dance, new wave...you name it I have it.

They prob wouldn't guess that im 15 tho. Most of my music is from 70's/80's. :drool:

I have a lot of shoegaze, early swing and jazz, funk and soul, a near complete compilation of Husker Du, episodes of the Jack Benny radio show and Gwen Stefani's "4 in the Morning".

I'm not sure what kind of monster I'd be envisioned as.

well lets see.....

I can go from Listening to Porcupine Tree then straight to....say Kelly Clarkson.

Then from say Muse to Sarah Blasko and then back to Pink Floyd then off to some Xtina back to U2 or Green Day, or The White Stripes

They'd just call me some weird gay Rock n Roll Indie kid.

And Well...I'm not gay......

"Not That There's Anything Wrong With That"

seinfeld_episode057_337x233_040420061508.jpg

They'd probably think that I'm cooler than I actually am...but then they'd come across some stuff that would make them say, "Oh, nevermind."

If someone I didn't know was just given my iPod without seeing me, I don't know if they'd be able to tell anything about me. I love almost every genre from rock to rap to country to blues and everything in between. Metal and emo/screamo are the only things you'll never catch me listening to. Most of the music I listen to is older. I love everything from the 50s on up. I do like some artists that are popular now but most of my favorite music is older or is by artists that have been around for a long time but are still making music a la my ultimate favorites U2 and Madonna.

Arcade Fire ... Vampire Weekend ... the Once Soundtrack ... huh, looks like an indie hipster.

No, wait. Britney Spears, Girls Aloud, Robbie Williams, Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake, Lindsay Lohan .... huh. Maybe it's a teeny-bopper?

WAIT just a cotton-pickin' minute. Barbra Streisand? Madonna? Kylie Minogue? Jesus Christ Superstar? Les Miz? Hey, this is a gay guy!

They would definately know I'm a U2 fan, see that I like alternative music and some rock. They would see I'm pretty up to date with todays music too considering the age. :huh:

bono_man2002 said:
You aren't? :shocked:

:wink:

I was just as shocked. The Internet is very misleading. :(

I think they would like most of my music, but be completely outraged with how I handle my CDs and mp3 player.

Bonochick said:
They'd probably think that I'm cooler than I actually am...but then they'd come across some stuff that would make them say, "Oh, nevermind."

:up: Me too.

angelordevil said:
I think they would like most of my music, but be completely outraged with how I handle my CDs and mp3 player.

Ohh I used to be terrible with CD's....but now they are like my children....and sometimes they end up on ebay! :|

It depends who sees it. But they would like some of it and not some of it. If people here saw it they would say, "Everclear, Oleander, really?" She must love grunge or post-grunge. Then they would see, "Blur, Madness, The Who, she must like British rock and pop. Then they would see, "Apollo 440, Fugazi, and At the Drive-In and they would think she likes a lot of weird and obscure music. I don't know, I think it depends who sees my music and what kind of music they like to determine what they would actually think.

Last edited:
indra said:
They'd probably think I had a major thing for The Church and Steve Kilbey. Why they would think that I have no earthly idea. :shifty:
Church??? never heard of'em...

If people saw all my U2 records, they might think one thing, but then the Bay City Rollers records might throw them off :wink:

Although I do have some CDs from the '90s and the '00s, I'm guessing around 70-75 percent of my stuff is from the '60s/'70s/'80s. The most logical conclusion you can draw from this is I'm an old fart. :wink:

A lot of my music would make them think I was a typical indie kid, since classic rock and even some rap (especially the less mainstream stuff that I mostly listen to) can fit in with "indie" tastes, but seeing The Fall of Troy, System of a Down, Tool, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Trust Company, etc would make them think I was some heavy rocker and most likely male. I think the diversity of what I listen to with a definite slant for more recent music would correctly peg me as a college student.

AtomicBono said:
A lot of my music would make them think I was a typical indie kid, since classic rock and even some rap (especially the less mainstream stuff that I mostly listen to) can fit in with "indie" tastes, but seeing The Fall of Troy, System of a Down, Tool, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Trust Company, etc would make them think I was some heavy rocker and most likely male. I think the diversity of what I listen to with a definite slant for more recent music would correctly peg me as a college student.

UNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGH

Back
Top Bottom