If you started a band today.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
what would you name it?

If I formed a band, we'd be called:

Doom Horse.

Why? No idea, just like the sound of it.

If I went on to form a little side project, we'd be called:

The Kick-Jack Maghees.

At some point, I'd be part of a one-time only supergroup, and we'd be called:

Planet Tooth

How about you?

This thread brought to you by NSW & UNICO & The Letter "Q"

Last edited:
Alcibiades And The Herms.

Hey, at least it makes more sense than Echo And The Bunnymen.

The Quiet Minority. We'd play the best damn prog you've ever heard.

The Supremely Psychedelic Wankers

27 minute songs with no focus or particular genre holding it back. Videos that cause acid trips when you just describe them. It's the definition of ego-stroking self-indulgence. Plus, we can throw in some noise solos that don't go anywhere to please Pitchfork.

No spoken words said:
Would you play a 12 minute version of 11 O'Clock Tick-Tock? You would, wouldn't you?

No, we wouldn't. We would play a 24 minute version of 11 O'clock Tick Tock in 29/16. The song will begin with a 4 minute bass solo.

Axver said:

No, we wouldn't. We would play a 24 minute version of 11 O'clock Tick Tock in 29/16. The song will begin with a 4 minute bass solo.

If I were record, no...wait...craft a prog album, it would be a single 165 minute song. When the record company tells the band that it won't be able to fit on not just one, but two discs, and can't be released, I'll throw the tape into a paper shredder in a fit of righteous anger, thereby cutting the tape into thousands of tiny pieces. The remaining pieces will all be burned onto individual discs and sold. The (approximately 1,134) discs will have to be played all at the exact same time for full effect. There will be a festival in the Sahara Desert where I will gather together 1,134 people so that the world may witness the glory of what I will dub "Hypsilophodon".

The only vocals on the album will be me imitating a Tibetan monk run through a vocoder, run through a tin can, run through an octave pedal, then run through another vocoder. The first 14 minutes of the album will be simply one guitar note delayed over and over.

My group will be The Yellow Phlegm

Our first release will be 'We are the paradigm, and you ain't worth twenty cents'

We use Guitar Hero guitars exclusively :)

LemonMelon said:
If I were record, no...wait...craft a prog album, it would be a single 165 minute song. When the record company tells the band that it won't be able to fit on not just one, but two discs, and can't be released, I'll throw the tape into a paper shredder in a fit of righteous anger, thereby cutting the tape into thousands of tiny pieces. The remaining pieces will all be burned onto individual discs and sold. The (approximately 1,134) discs will have to be played all at the exact same time for full effect. There will be a festival in the Sahara Desert where I will gather together 1,134 people so that the world may witness the glory of what I will dub "Hypsilophodon".

The only vocals on the album will be me imitating a Tibetan monk run through a vocoder, run through a tin can, run through an octave pedal, then run through another vocoder. The first 14 minutes of the album will be simply one guitar note delayed over and over.

Rest assured, I will buy 10 copies of each of the 1,134 discs and will make the pilgrimage to your Sahara extravaganza. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:
Alcibiades And The Herms.

Hey, at least it makes more sense than Echo And The Bunnymen.

:lol:

Sometimes, the fact that it makes no sense actually makes it great. :drool:

I'm constantly coming up with names of bands...from things I just see around me, or when people say things, it'll trigger something (probably to the great annoyance of those people). I think the last one was the "Frightened Squirrels," or something like that.

Phosphoric Acid

Reverse Osmosis

...sip, sip.

Doom Horse will have a lead bass player and a rhythm bass player. That's how bad-ass Doom Horse will be. Well, would be, you know, if I played an instrument and then formed a band. But whatever.

DOOM HORSE

DaveC said:

This is actually not a bad idea... :hmm:

Spinal Tap played on Letterman when the film was first released, and 3 of them were playing bass. When David St Hubbins introduces the band, he introduces one of them as playing "lead bass" and it cracks me up.

But Doom Horse does not crack me up, because bad-assery is not all that funny, not at first. Not until people's ear drums start to ooze liquid gold; then it's funny, but only funny because you're laughing with unmitigated joy. Then the weeping begins. Tears of joy. Golden tears.

No spoken words said:
Doom Horse will have a lead bass player and a rhythm bass player. That's how bad-ass Doom Horse will be. Well, would be, you know, if I played an instrument and then formed a band. But whatever.

DOOM HORSE

Doom Horse, the doomiest of the doom metal bands? 'Cause I love some dooooom.

That's the thing, Axver. We might play some Metal one night. A lot of metal. The next night, we might cover "Lost in Love" by Air Supply. The 3rd night, we might do a cover of LemonMelon's epic "Hypsilophodon". The 4th night, we might put on a puppet show, with the puppets all playing bass.

Anything could happen, but, you can always count on one thing: You can count on having your fucking mind blown.

LemonMelon said:

o lustrous thoughtbeing, how your limitless soundscape notions reflect the nature of our interdimensional yearnings .. ! /

you are closer than most to understanding that which is crown

;

as for band names...I keep a running list on my macbook. In fast, A Running List is one of them.

Right now my band is either called Ironic Frogs or Blank. The South Korean singer suggested Ironic Frogs without a clear understanding of what "ironic" means, and I suggested Blank because then we could totally do a cover of Blank Generation by Richard Hell and the Voidoids. But that band is soon breaking up, so I'll need a new band name. Some of my top contenders are Bank,
Catch,
The Challenge,
The Unseen.
My more hip, indie side project can be something like
Chair Minus Desk,
Circle Y/N (pronounced Circle Yes No), The Misplaced Modifiers,
Oh, Your Gerands!,
Pocky Accident,
Social and Moral Relationships with Personified Robots,
Stairs Are Free!

Other possible band, album, or song titles include
The Hindsight Bias
The Imposters
I'm Alright Cigarette
problems that are solved by breaking a large force into parts that converge on a target
Running from Ghosts
Take It Or Leave It
We Are Creators
What Thoughts Happened

oh yeah, and my psedo-Rage band is going to be called Chainlink Aggression, and our album will be Agents of Destruction. Watch for it. Things we will or will not rage against may or may not include grapes, math, the government, corn syrup and its grip on the soda industry, Skybank, the man, oppressive South American dictators, vegetarians, hipsters, the letter z (outlawed in Iceland), the new iMovie, Dave Matthews Band, and fish tacos (or the lack of them).

angelordevil said:
Doom Horse

Crazy Horse

I smell litigation :hmm:

Our rhythm bass player's brother is a lawyer; we'll be fine.

ETA - Plus, Sparklehorse exists, and please trust me that if Doom Horse had a rock-off with Sparkle Horse, well, Sparkle Horse would wind up being put out to pasture.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
Could Doom Horse open for Oh, Your Gerands! ?

Oh, Your Gerunds! is way too cool [read: head too far up ass] to allow such noise to open for us. also, Oh, Your Gerunds! will never be popular enough for an opening band like Doom Horse.

however, Doom Horse should definitely open for Chainlink Aggression. The Unseen will open for Doom Horse on their tour. Deal?

Back
Top Bottom