If you could be anything... what would it be? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 01:18 PM
If you could be anything... what would it be?

Sometimes I wonder what profession I would be in, if things like security, or really even reality weren't factors at play. Would I have chosen a different career path? Maybe... Would you?
I guess to answer these questions as to what you would do/be, you'll have to answer what you do now. I hope this isn't too personal for some, but I thought it could be an interesting discussion. See what keeps us or doesn't keep us from following our 'professional' dreams.

Myself, I am an administrative assistant at the moment for a Brokerage Firm. I am one class shy of completing a two year Certificate Program in Public Relations. (I'll be looking for a new job soon... so if any of you are in the business... lol) So, I am going to be a Public Relations Rep. I am trying to break into entertainment with the hopes of eventually doing promotions for a record label or even eventually managing a band. I am really interested in the industry and am quite happy with my career choice, but sometimes, I think that if money weren't at all important, or perhaps if I were a bit more of a risk taker as far as security goes, I'd be a History Professor. I'd love to get my PhD in Russian History and work at a University somewhere teaching the subject that I love; however.... I don't think 5 more years of school is in the cards for me, emotionally or financially. Not too mention getting a good paying job afterwards in the field is not so easy.... I'd have to completely compromise where I want to live etc... I'd also have to keep having works published and I don't think I am that focused. lol So thus, I have not chosen that particular path.

If $$$ were never a factor, I'd probably own my own Book Store, specializing in History and literature... hard to find out of print works, as well as new. Not exactly a financial venture.

*Sigh.... it's fun to dream.

Anyway, all that being said, I am happy in life and am quite excited to pursue my chosen career, however, sometimes certain factors persuade our choices. Do you agree? If you feel like sharing I am curious to know what you do, coupled with what you would do, if you would even do something different at all. No 'I wanna be a rock star' here.... unless of course you actually have a realistic musical ability, but perhaps are too scared to try.

(Can I add also that I am not as money hungry as my thread perhaps makes me appear to be. I just want to create a good life for myself financially. I like to travel... and well, want to always be able to afford that plane ticket if I can. )

Old 06-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

You and I are kindred, Angel - we both aim to pursue PR in the Entertainment industry.

I practice PR myself for my company and do freelance work for musicians as needed. It's a blast.

Working in the Industry, you really have to have a backbone and a sence of purpose. It's so easy to get putoff by unchecked egos.

When I move next month, I plan to join a drama company and start acting again.

I am also currently writing my first novel.

Best of luck to you, my friend

Old 06-17-2002, 07:12 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:18 PM

[color=royal blue]Bruce Springsteen.[/color]
Old 06-18-2002, 09:44 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Rock star

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-18-2002, 12:22 PM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:
If $$$ were never a factor, I'd probably own my own Book Store, specializing in History and literature
My dream!!! I would LOVE to do that. I'd want the bookstore to also specialize in travel literature & have a small music section. I still think about trying to make it work somehow...maybe someday!
I work in politics now - it's good, but definitely not what I want to do for much longer.
My other dream job would be an English literature professor - I'm still contemplating it, actually...it's in line with the book/music shop.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:18 PM
a cow
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-18-2002, 12:30 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
ANGELINA JOLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:32 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 PM
A writer, a "band aide," a bass player, a princess, or a lion.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

secretary-general of the un, an english professor, or an actor.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:44 PM   #10
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by jkayet

My dream!!! I would LOVE to do that. I'd want the bookstore to also specialize in travel literature & have a small music section. I still think about trying to make it work somehow...maybe someday!
I work in politics now - it's good, but definitely not what I want to do for much longer.
My other dream job would be an English literature professor - I'm still contemplating it, actually...it's in line with the book/music shop.
YES!!!!! Travel books and music!! Of course!!!!! Let's go into business.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

A female mindreader.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:17 PM   #12
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 11:18 AM

I am an artist, and right now I do graphic design/typesetting, but ultimitaly I would love to be an illustrator/painter with my own studio.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:10 PM   #13
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
A female mindreader.
You want to be a psychic woman?

Old 06-18-2002, 05:11 PM   #14
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
A female mindreader.
I thought all females are mindreaders ???
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-18-2002, 05:29 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Let me rephrase: I want to read minds - females, dogs, hiring managers, cats, etc. etc. etc.