If you could be anything... what would it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Sometimes I wonder what profession I would be in, if things like security, or really even reality weren't factors at play. Would I have chosen a different career path? Maybe... Would you?
I guess to answer these questions as to what you would do/be, you'll have to answer what you do now. I hope this isn't too personal for some, but I thought it could be an interesting discussion. See what keeps us or doesn't keep us from following our 'professional' dreams.

Myself, I am an administrative assistant at the moment for a Brokerage Firm. I am one class shy of completing a two year Certificate Program in Public Relations. (I'll be looking for a new job soon... so if any of you are in the business... lol) So, I am going to be a Public Relations Rep. I am trying to break into entertainment with the hopes of eventually doing promotions for a record label or even eventually managing a band. I am really interested in the industry and am quite happy with my career choice, but sometimes, I think that if money weren't at all important, or perhaps if I were a bit more of a risk taker as far as security goes, I'd be a History Professor. I'd love to get my PhD in Russian History and work at a University somewhere teaching the subject that I love; however.... I don't think 5 more years of school is in the cards for me, emotionally or financially. Not too mention getting a good paying job afterwards in the field is not so easy.... I'd have to completely compromise where I want to live etc... I'd also have to keep having works published and I don't think I am that focused. lol So thus, I have not chosen that particular path.

If $$$ were never a factor, I'd probably own my own Book Store, specializing in History and literature... hard to find out of print works, as well as new. Not exactly a financial venture.

*Sigh.... it's fun to dream.

Anyway, all that being said, I am happy in life and am quite excited to pursue my chosen career, however, sometimes certain factors persuade our choices. Do you agree? If you feel like sharing I am curious to know what you do, coupled with what you would do, if you would even do something different at all. No 'I wanna be a rock star' here.... unless of course you actually have a realistic musical ability, but perhaps are too scared to try.

(Can I add also that I am not as money hungry as my thread perhaps makes me appear to be. I just want to create a good life for myself financially. I like to travel... and well, want to always be able to afford that plane ticket if I can. )

Last edited:
You and I are kindred, Angel - we both aim to pursue PR in the Entertainment industry.

I practice PR myself for my company and do freelance work for musicians as needed. It's a blast.

Working in the Industry, you really have to have a backbone and a sence of purpose. It's so easy to get putoff by unchecked egos.

When I move next month, I plan to join a drama company and start acting again.

I am also currently writing my first novel.

Best of luck to you, my friend :)

If $$$ were never a factor, I'd probably own my own Book Store, specializing in History and literature
:yes: My dream!!! I would LOVE to do that. I'd want the bookstore to also specialize in travel literature & have a small music section. I still think about trying to make it work somehow...maybe someday!
I work in politics now - it's good, but definitely not what I want to do for much longer. :slant:
My other dream job would be an English literature professor - I'm still contemplating it, actually...it's in line with the book/music shop. :D

jkayet said:

:yes: My dream!!! I would LOVE to do that. I'd want the bookstore to also specialize in travel literature & have a small music section. I still think about trying to make it work somehow...maybe someday!
I work in politics now - it's good, but definitely not what I want to do for much longer. :slant:
My other dream job would be an English literature professor - I'm still contemplating it, actually...it's in line with the book/music shop. :D

YES!!!!! Travel books and music!! Of course!!!!! :D Let's go into business. ;)

I am an artist, and right now I do graphic design/typesetting, but ultimitaly I would love to be an illustrator/painter with my own studio.

In my fantasy world, I'm a cross between Indiana Jones and Sydney Bristow on ALIAS!

But in real life, I'm unemployed. Used to be a tech writer, and then was a grad student, and now I'm over educated and not too employable! I'm working on a novel...so I guess I'd love to be a published novelist. Right now I'm trying to find a writing/editing job somewhere, but the job market has all but dreid up and floated away.

I considered going all the way and getting a PhD, but university politics can get very ugly, and I can't just up and move to get a position somewhere else.

But I think I'd really like to be a private detective. I'm very nosy! :)

I know that this is going to sound really cheesy and corny, but I am feeling just a little setimental and romantic (girls you all know what I mean) so anyway in reply to this question I would say;

To be in love and have that love reciprocated from the person I truly care about:)

i'd be a forensic scientist in some exciting city, like nyc or chicago...which i will be someday, cause i really hope to live my dream :D

Back
Top Bottom