if we all went to the same high school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
what would it have been like?
were you shy? confident? a brat?
getting into trouble with teachers?
a teachers pet?
a jock? a brain?
a goth or a punk?
were you any different to now? :lol:

what were u like in high school and what was your school like?

Much like in here, I kinda just float around and talk to different people, but don't really belong to a specific clique. Now don't no one go on whining about how this place is "cliquey." I only use clique, because it's easier than saying a group of people who share common interests and get along better together.

i was pretty shy daisy.
still am in a way i guess.
i went to an all girl private catholic school where uniforms were strict and money flowed for many, but not me. so that part was always a bit hard as girls were concerned with the latest clothes and how many new toys they had, which also created a certain climate in which they placed their value systems.
far from mine but it was good training for life because it taught me a lot about the ways of the world and how people react within social groups.
i was a good girl in class and only got detention once :laugh:
i got myself into trouble in other ways for doing stupid clumsy amanda type things like breaking drama props, falling over during video presentations and setting off fire alarms on camp.

i was nominated for drama captain in yr 12 but was beaten by a louder more popular girl and it still bugs me because i would have loved that position. Never told anyone that till now.

i played tennis on weekends and went to drama club(theatre sports) on wednesday afternoons. my friends and i stayed friends right thru from yr 7 to 12. i used towrite poems about them and read them out at parties where my nickname was flower child.

:rant:

I went to a magnet high school, majoring (yes, there were majors in this high school) in theatre at their Youth Performing Arts School. It was very competitive. There was a lot of back stabbing going on, and you weren't quite sure who was your friend to be your friend or your friend to learn your trade secrets and steal them. The school was also well renowned for their academic achievements. Therefore, people were also competitive in that aspect, fighting to be considered the smartest. ANYWAY, I didn't hate on anybody. I was the kid who hung out to have a good time and didn't really give a :censored: about the drama, if you will. I was a little shy, but once I got to know you, I was very open and talked as much as I could about whatever was on my mind. I may not have been the smartest student there, but I held my ground. I was also a rather bad girl, though, I guess you could say. I cut classes a lot, didn't study or do homework, and just ran around with people who I knew I could get drunk and do drugs with. Hmm.. I'm definitely not the same in the fact that I study and devote a great deal of time to my schoolwork now, go to all my classes and feel guilty otherwise, and try to be as open as possible to everyone regardless of knowing them or not. I still don't hate. I get along and hang out with everyone. And, basically I am one of the select stone cold pimps of the nation.

I went to a super-snobby all-girls private school where almost every girl had ultra rich parents and went on vacations four times a year and got a car for her 17th birthday and had a cellphone. I on the other hand, went there 'cause my dad was a teacher and so we didn't pay fees, and was always the class reject. I used to get laughed at for walking to school because my mum doesn't own a car, or for not having gone on holiday every summer vacation.

I left when I was sixteen and went to sixth form college, which was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. I hated high school :(

i am pretty much the same now as i was when i was a teenager. a smart ass, always getting into trouble with my teachers for talking back, had a ton of detention for talking too much and for coming to school late (i found no reason for homeroom, i thought and still think my sleep is much more important). I hung around with everyone from the popular ones to the outcasts. the only thing that is different now is that my hair is not quite as big as it was back in the days. hahaha

I remember getting written up...

The teacher had just left the class to go make copies and a phone call or 2. There were these wonderful rolling chairs by the computers and a ramp outside the classroom. We would take turns running down the hall and pushing the other down the ramp. Needless to say, the librarian didn't like the noise of the chair and person crashing into a wall. :rant:

I was a media aid Sr. year and I got to wheel carts with equipment all over campus...so occasionally I would give friends lifts...

I also never did my own homework in Astronomy and strategically placed the answers around the room...(bulletin board, bottoms of shoes, teachers desk....)

High school was okay...I didn't belong to a group b/c whenever I would come in from skipping I would just sit down and talk to some people to make it look as though I had always been there.
..... :p

I hung out with all sorts of people...I was kind of the "leader" of my group of friends. All of us were kind of "odd men out" by ourselves because we really didn't fit in with other groups...so we had our own thing going on. I swear I had a split personality...and my personalities tend to come in extremes. Most of all though...I was a bit of a class clown, and I never got in trouble. My homework was always done, and I never had detention.

I am the only person who seems to not miss high school among my friends. I enjoy coming home and seeing them but Id never wanna go back.

what was I like? I dunno, I was me. I used to be really shy but barely am anymore. I was friends with people regardless of stupid groups and cliques, and i was not highly involved in the whole high school scene since by the beginning of junior year i was sick of it. most of my friends were outside of school.
I didnt really get in trouble, and i got pretty good grades, but I did not study much and i was pretty lazy. basically I was boring
and just wanted to get out.

Im sure u wanted to know all that :D

In school we all wear uniforms so we all look the same well except for Lower and Upper sixths the 2 oldest years- Im an Upper Sixth :D- because we are in a grammar school we wear dire woolen blazers and have white shirts and blue ties and blue skirt and blue tights- i look about 12 in my uniform :| People in secondary schools get to wear fleeces instead of blazers that makes me bitter.

I have one small group of friends but then in my free classes I float about and talk to nayone really- I like talking :)

Im just another pupil in school- nothing important nobody cares in their last year we all just want to leave :|

Last edited:
I went to the high school right around the corner from my house..so did everyone from my town and the town next to us (whom I hate).

Anyway, it started off pretty strict. Catholic High School and all, so we all wore kilts, unifrom etc...as the years went on here it got more and more relaxed until the uniform pretty much became a joke. We could wear black track pants and a white t-shirt and they'd still let us in (they got more strict agin in my last year). Our high school pretty much went to the dogs. The discipline there was SUCH a joke. I mean, they'd tell us things like, 'wear the unifrom' but never enforced it. Teachers tried, but ended up leaving b/c they couldn't handle the fact that the kids were getting worse and worse.

Our high school was mega-cliquey. I tried to be nice to everyone, although you knew that when you turned your back, the same people you were nice to would talk behind your back. Ugghh. Luckily, I had a pretty good group of friends.

I was the loud one, the really talkative one. I studied hard, and got really good marks. But I was constantly getting in trouble in class for talking. Not so much that it distracted me, but the teachers always said the OTHER kids couldn't concentarte. Ah..

The one time I skipped class, they called my home (and I skipped because I had to finish a report. I was in the library for god'ssake). It was ridiculous. They only call home after the third time. I was sooo pissed, I semi-told off the VP. Once you hit 18 you could 'sign out' (skip class legally). By then I'd had enough so I did it whenever I didn't want to go to Algebra (another story entirely).

Our high school went to OAC (grade 13). I couldn't wait to leave by then. People were so fake. It was very much based on money. The rich hung around with the rich. Everyone dyed their hair blond. It was gino/gina central. BMWs parked everywhere in the parking lot.

I miss my friends, some teachers, but that's about it.

Last edited:
High school for management-administration (basically it trained you to be a secretary). Mostly girls, but notable amounts of guys too.

Shy, never in trouble with teachers (except once when i didn't report someone who was skipping class), i had a couple of friends - i guess i was considered a nerd (i had very good grades), not among the "popular" people.

I was the odd ball. I got along well with almost everyone, but knew I didn't fit in, so I didn't try to fit in.

Most of the people I went to high school would be surprised at what I've become, but I honestly don't care what ANYONE thinks of me now. I was quiet, but fearless. I didn't kiss the ass of the losers...or the popular pricks ;). I was my own man....and that came with a price. I had moments of lonliness, but they were overshadowed in hindsight by love of family and friends.

That being said, I'm still having moments of lonliness....I guess that's the price for speaking your mind and holding on to your soul.

:):wave:

Okay, I just read all the responses and it sounds like I went to the same kind of school as most of you. Mine was a Private, Catholic school full of privledged children. I got a break on the tuition, so I didn't fit THAT mold, which didn't allow me much room in the popular crowd (no fancy car, no fancy clothes, no fancy ANYTHING!).

It's nice to hear I'm not the only person to experience that bullshit.

I'll try and be brief..I LOVED SCHOOL, very much

I have been recently wondering why I started school when I was 4? it made me a year younger than most people in my class when I got to high school and I think was a disadvantage really.
I went to a primary school with only 30 students and the high school had 1000 students. I was the only one in my class from my home town, so it was a bit tough at first fitting in.
I was thinking about the odds of this the other day . In my first Yearly Exam at highschool, I came second out of 200 First Form students. The girl who came first, beat me by half a mark. I was thinking ONE mark, it made the difference. I wonder which answer I should have got right.
Anyway it was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng time ago. I'm over it!!!
My grades slipped quite a bit by the time I got to Year 12.
It is a great school.I was stoked when Bob Dylan played there around my 40th birthday. it felt like a gift.. I actually took my friends onto the old sports oval on our way to the Dylan concert...I think they were impressed!!I'm a nostalgic fool.

You wouldn't have liked me any better in my school days. When I started high school the boys and girls were segregated in the one school playground, an invisble line down the middle. They were the caning days, so you obeyed the rules. I hated seeing people being caned. They changed so much about the public education system during that period.........for the better.

i went to a public school that looked like a prison. it was. my middle school was even worse. so shitty, it's going to be torn down soon because it's violating so many fire codes, it'd take several millions of dollars to fix them all.

i was a loser with no friends in high school, and yeah, same thing here. :|

I actually sort of enjoyed high school. why--because i never took myself or it too seriously. so, in that sense, i really was never labeled this or that. i highly savor my independence, so i never isolated a certain person or group of people, and never pledged a fierce loyalty to just one group or person, give or take a couple of good friends. i guess i just made myself available and simply possess a very down-to-earth personality, so it seemed like a broad range of people felt comfortable being around me. i was fortunate enough to be able to spend minimal time on study, and therefore breezed my way through the academics of high school...i think i'm a personable, critical thinker, and because of that had favor with virtually all my teachers...i was heavily into sports and therfore related with the "jocks"...etc, etc.....

i suppose my only downfall in high school and even now, was my incessant flirting...so go ahead and put me down as the "Class Flirt"

in middle school, i was trying to be outgoing, but i was made fun of because of my speech problem and hearing loss. that made me really painfully shy.

in junior high, i was shy, but if anyone talked to me, i would talk back. ask me a question, i'll answer it. i still got made fun of. nobody liked me. physical disability was considered loser status at this school. there were times i wanted to kill myself. i pretended to be sick on several occasions to avoid going. my mom knew, she just let me. she didnt want me to take my life. she just let me stay home if it got real bad.

high school, i was independent, but "cool." those years...it was better, but the damage has been done. i was considered "cool" because of my acting and directing abilities in the drama plays. i was never involved in a group of friends, or "cliques" per say.

i think this is why i have a hard time making female friends outside the real world. im not shy anymore like i used to be, but the fear is always going to be there, wondering what others think of me, if im some kind of freak.

I can't believe the news today...but I have to.

This a fun thread Amanda. It has the feeling of a campus( well slightly... to me anyway)
I liked lunch-time, hanging out,swapping stories, going to the library to learn something new, very much like the Interference forum really.. You took me back to a nice place, had me thinking about teachers and how it was kind of funny the headmaster was called Mr.Tester. And how I loved the cool garden quadrangle and fishpond area and that I kind of claimed it as my own and got away with it and how they were good days indeed...
So it was a shock to just watch the news for the first time today and see what happened at Monash Uni earlier. I want this thread to continue, please don't let me kill this thread.
But I wanted to leave some flowers..well not flowers,plants really. It's a photo of my frogpond, because it reminds me of my school. The motto was "by the light of knowledge"
I just wanted to say I'm sorry

. Please continue.Anyone else's teachers' have appropriate/funny names?

Attachments

• scientae luce.jpg
    scientae luce.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
We had Mushroom Head whom I once was talking about, calling her Mushroom Head, being a smart arse in front of all my friends, when they all stopped. They were looking in shock. Mushroom Head was standing right behind me.

My Principal was a nun.She wore these long flowy skirts. One day I was walking down the stairs behind her and stood on the back on her skirt accidently, causing her to sail down the stairs.

I had a group of friends which we called "the group". We stayed that way from 7 to 12. We weren't dorks, we weren't the trendy girls. We sat in the middle where the majority of the girls did.

Our Bro school made us :barf:
Trinity Boys made us :drool:

:lmao:

I cannot look back at high school without pissing myself. It was a joke of a school, no shit. It was basically to prepare you for jail or a life of single motherhood. I have kept I touch with only a couple of my friends, but considering I graduated in 94, I think that is a bit of an accomplishment.
I cant say what type of person I was, you would have to ask someone else I think. I never paid much attention to what was going on around me, I had my head in the clouds most of the time. Still do. I had a strange bunch of friends. Some of us were arty, some sporty, some desperately wanting to be 'cool'. It was a full public school, no religion, no rules. Our school bus would throw rotten fruit at the local private school in the mornings. My year used to do terible things. I look back and wonder why I never got in more trouble than I did actually. Roll Call was the only thing I never really missed. A lot of mornings I would get my name marked off then head home. But then, my truency was little compared to my maths class for instance who would sit up the back and just smoke and deal drugs. That class was in a demountable building and if they got too bored, the teacher knew they would eventually jump out the window and leave, so I guess she never worried too much. It probably seemed the easiest way not to deal with half of my year - letting them escape out the window. Fires in the toilets were a common problem. A lot of fights, but back then, few carried weapons which was good I guess considering the NSW public school system these days lol. Science up to year 10 was another really bad class. We had this very religious teacher and if they weren't suddenly yelling out "Jesus Christ Miss, this is f***ing boring", the boys would pull their 'hairs' out and glue them to her desk. She was always more concerned about the blasphemy than anything else. They only did it to get a rise though. Most of them are doing time now for various offences. I guess hooligans move on to bigger and badder things eventually. I can think of hundreds of 'tricks' some of them would pull, mostly funny now, some just plain stupid. No actually, it was all stupid. I think we tired our teachers out very much.

Bad school. Very bad. I would have to be dragged to any type of reunion. I am surprised I am the way I am, now. It's funny where we end up.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
I'd have more detentions than all of you put together:|

oh yeah, wanna bet *whips out drawer full of detention slips* ?;)

you know what is sad, the admin office where you had to go to receive your detention notices knew me by heart and knew exactly where my file was located. the sec. would laugh at me when i would walk in and say "that weekly flu bug hit ya again?" :yes: oh i loved High School :rolleyes: speaking of which, i just received an email from the reunion committee asking for updated pics of our class for the website. :evil:

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
I'd have more detentions than all of you put together:|

:wave: I'll have to challenge you on that one too...I spend more time in detention than I did in class. I had to repeat 10th grade because of it. I was a BAD student. I didn't even bother to get my stuff out in 4th period typing class because that's when they called the previous day's truants up to the attendance office. I knew I was going up before the slip even got to the teacher.

I think there's still a chair with my name on it in the attendance office :lol:

I am in high school. I hate it. I dont fit in at all. the only people I like are the friends I have known for a long time and my friends in band. I am a band geek. but I dont like labels. I dress like all kinds of things. I look all preppy one day..the next I look like a hardcore punk. whatever outfit i like, i wear. but I am doing bad in school lately. especially in Algebra 2. my school sucks, they dont allow any expression. I can't dye my hair! I get in trouble sometimes..but I get good grades in some subjects (history and english) but it all seems so worthless

Back
Top Bottom