If tomorrow ceased to exist the day after...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
If tomorrow ceased to exist the day after, in other words, while today exists and two days from now exists, what would you do if tomorrow came and you learned it would be totally forgotten? Stricken from the record? That whatever you did/didn't do tomorrow would have no impact on the future of the world?

What would you do differently, or would you just continue as is?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I would probably do something I've never done before. Or take some risks.

Question though? If you die on the forgotten day, are you still alive the day after? Or is it like the urban legend "If you die in your dream, you die in real life"?

------------------
If you keep a positive outlook on life, your dreams will come true!

If you die on the forgotten day, you return the next day. Remember: it is as if it never existed! Basically, anything that happens on this day returns to the way it was as the day before finished, but is the day after "tomorrow," and this "day after" does count.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Cool! Then I'd probably do something very mean. I'm always way too nice to people. So it would be fun to act out of my character for a day.

------------------
If you keep a positive outlook on life, your dreams will come true!

Good question Melon!

I'd probably stay sober for a day so I could see what our world really looks like without having double vision.

------------------
The one and only!

k, I was confused but now I got it.

Um...I would act like a total slut all day, find Larry Mullen, drag him to my bedroom and...hmm, you know the rest.

Or, I'd act out of my normal character and be a sweet, loving, kind and nurturing girl to everyone I pass by.
wink.gif

------------------
Angel in devil's shoes
Salvation in the blues

~*April*~

Originally posted by melon:
If you die on the forgotten day, you return the next day. Remember: it is as if it never existed! Basically, anything that happens on this day returns to the way it was as the day before finished, but is the day after "tomorrow," and this "day after" does count.

Okay, melon, the part in bold confuses things a bit, but I get what you're saying. (Just being a bitch here.
tongue.gif
).

Hmmm, if I wanted to make the most out of the one "free day," it would be pointless to do anything but indulge in decadant behavior. I'd probably do things that, under normal circumstances, I would find morally wrong. I'd probably do things that I have counseled or warned others not to do. I'd do artistic, pleasurable things that would put my being and my spirit in a surreal place. Whatever you're picturing in your mind's eye is probably what I would be doing.... ::devilish smiley::

Originally posted by ABEL:
This reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day"

No, no. This day isn't going to be repeated. You have 1 day and 1 shot at this. Fuck it up, and you lose it.

Melon

------------------

This is completely selfish, but I would party to my heart's content. First off, it would have to be a Friday or a Saturday. Then I'd party like I've never done before. I'd have to find a kick ass party in which I could indulge though.

The big question for me would be... would I feel hungover and burnt the next day?
wink.gif

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
The big question for me would be... would I feel hungover and burnt the next day?
wink.gif

Nope...anything you do this day has no bearing on the future whatsoever. However, if you partied a lot the day before this hypothetical free day, you'd have a hangover both on the free day and on the day after the free day.

Melon

The most horrible thing I could do is go on a killing spree (or worse), but I definitely would NOT do that. My imagination sometimes takes me to some pretty dark places, but even though my actions would ultimately have no impact on me or anyone else, I would have no desire to do that sort of thing on my "free" day.

Another option would be to go around giving my life savings (almost nonexistent.. I'll never have to worry about anyone marrying me for my money!) to homeless/poor people and generally doing good deeds wherever I could for anyone in need. However, none of those deeds would have an impact on those people's lives, or even on my own life. I would know the futility of what I was doing even while I was doing it, and so it would bring me no joy; it would probably have the opposite effect.

I could also go try and have casual sex with people, take drugs, etc. I'm not interested. Sex feels good (not even interested in the drugs), but these actions would cause me to feel even more like a shallow robot, so I wouldn't spend my free day doing that.

I don't think I would spend it talking to any family members. I wouldn't interact with people much at all, basically for the same reasons that I wouldn't help people in need.

Without the memories and the consequences (some very dramatic and some so subtle that we don't even recognize them) that come with taking certain actions, this day really is nonexistent. Everything done on this day would be absolutely pointless (isn't everything already?). So would I spend it just lying in bed watching TV? No. I would definitely commit suicide. Basically, I would spend most of the day preparing myself by doing the normal things I enjoy - listening to music, writing poetry, driving around with my mix tapes, bird watching, etc. I wouldn't prepare by making myself feel depressed. I'm already depressed. The thought of killing myself would be a mysterious and exhilarating thing that would probably cause me to feel happy. Part of the reason I would feel that happiness is because I would know that I would be right back in my normal life the next day like nothing had happened, so I could pretend I finally gave up and would know the freedom of deciding to end it all without having to worry about the impact it might have on family members.

How would I do it? I wouldn't make it quick, because the whole point is to enjoy life through the new perspective that this decision causes you to have (which of course is completely pointless on this day) from the beginning of the day til the actual act. I would probably jump from a very high place. Maybe I would hike up into the mountains with my walkman, some good tapes, and my binoculars, find the tallest cliff, and just go from there. I would make sure that I did it late enough in the day, and far enough into the mountains, that nobody would find me in time to get word to anyone of my death before the day ended. Even though my death would have no impact, I don't think I would be able to do it if I knew that any of my family members would find out.

------------------
"..the days days days run away
like horses over the hills.."

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 11-16-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom