If (read: when) George Lucas decides to make another Star Wars motion picture... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 AM
If (read: when) George Lucas decides to make another Star Wars motion picture...

Who would you like to see direct it? I mean, you can pick Lucas if you want, though I'm not sure why anyone would WANT him to direct it (them, another trilogy most likely?)

In my ideal situation (well, in an ideal situation, there would be no more movies, but despite what Lucas says over and over again, we all known it's going to happen sooner or later) Lucas would still produce the films and write the story. Bring somebody else in to co-write/edit the script, because Lucas' dialogue can be pretty shitty.

And I'd bring in a completely different director for the movie(s).

My pick? Sam Raimi. For three reasons:

1. He can direct action scenes like a champ. Granted, Lucas can still direct some fantastic action scenes. Heck, the action scenes in Episode III were some of the best of the entire series, but so can Raimi. The Spiderman films are amazing showcases of choreographed action on both intimate and large scales. And his Evil Dead films and The Quick and the Dead both highlight this talent.

2. He can direct people. Lucas can't. At all. If there's one thing to be said about Raimi, it's that his actors love working with him, and he can get them to deliver. Now, he's definitely not one of the best acting directors in the business, but his work in genre films all throughout his career would apply perfectly to a Star Wars project.

3. And perhaps most importantly, Raimi would surely bring some genuine humor back into the Star Wars saga. The prequel trilogy, as hard as they tried, were simply amazingly unfunny films. I blame Lucas. If anyone can correct that it's Sam "Army of Darkness" Raimi.

Your thoughts?

Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:36 AM
M. Night Shyamalan- Darth Vader could turn out to be a ghost or something...

Quentin Tarantino - Could you imagine the conversations Han could have with Chewie in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon

Spike Lee - Some sort of racial comment on the color of Storm Troopers outfits

Seriously though:

David Fincher - Because he kicks ass, plain and simple

Bryan Singer - See previous answer...

Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 PM
This is a good question. Lance, I think you hit all of the topics that need to be addressed in your original post and I think only 4 directors can come close to doing another trilogy any justice.

1. Sam Raimi is a great choice for those reasons listed above.

2. Bryan Singer is a good choice too because he too can balance action/drama/comedy. His movies are known mainly for characterizations, which would have to drive this next trilogy if it is to be as successful as the originals.

3. Christopher Nolan is the shit, pure and simple. He just knows how to make enjoyable movies and most importantly, build suspense. One of the huge differences between the prequels and original movies is that in the original movies, almost everything counted for something (the actions had a reaction.) In the prequels, the only things that mattered were the fall of the Republic/Jedi and the rise of the Empire/Sith, which remained largely underdeveloped and spread way too thin.

4. Steven Spielberg. He and Lucas are buddies, have been for a while, so you know they work well with each other. I don't think Spielberg's ever directed a trilogy let alone a direct sequel to any movie, so creating and sustaining tension and suspense throughout 3 movies could be tough. Also, Spielberg was Lucas's first choice as director of Return of the Jedi, but because Lucas pulled out of the Director's Guild it was impossible.

(Little known fact: Steven Spielberg helped conceptualize the battle scenes in Episode III. Yes, it was him)

If Christopher Nolan were to direct, it wouldn't hurt if he helped write the movies too. I would die if I hear another "If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find." or "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo; so long ago when there was nothing but our love." I will shoot myself in the face with a potato gun.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Steven. Spielberg.

no one, but no one, could direct a better SW movie.

and i agree -- we will, one day, get 7, 8, and 9. there's another billion dollars to be made. Lucas might be dead, so might Spielberg. but it will be made.

though it would also be good to get someone who isn't a big-budget director. the reason why Empire is clearly the best of the series is because the director knew how to make the most out of what little script he has.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Great point about Empire.

I love Star Wars to death, but there won't be a Star Wars movie/book/video game/comic/whatever as great as Empire ever again.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

If he makes another one, I hope it's NOT a continuation of the saga. Leave the end of ROTJ as it is. All the EU crap about the emperor coming back as a clone or Luke turning to the dark side, even the crap about Han and Leia and their kid dying with Chewy SUCKS MAJOR ASS and should be ignored.

I would like to see a movie that takes place between Star Wars and Empire based on the only EU book I like, Shadows of the Empire. I would also be interested in seeing one that takes place sometime between ROTS and Star Wars.

Directors? I don't care. Script writers? Somebody who can write better than "you're so beautiful" and "I truly, deeply love you."
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

4. I don't think Spielberg's ever directed a trilogy let alone a direct sequel to any movie, so creating and sustaining tension and suspense throughout 3 movies could be tough.
Ummmm, Indiana Jones?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Ummmm, Indiana Jones?

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I always thought of those movies as joint Spielberg/Lucas movies.

Other than that though, there's nothing else right?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Empire is the best adventure film ever made.

And I'd boycot the film if he had Sam Raimi direct a new one.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III
And I'd boycot the film if he had Sam Raimi direct a new one.
Good to know.

And LMP, Spielberg also directed The Lost World, which was a sequel to Jurassic Park.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Good to know.

And LMP, Spielberg also directed The Lost World, which was a sequel to Jurassic Park.
Thank you for proving me wrong, I knew I was forgetting something.

That's exactly what a new Star Wars movie needs, Jeff Goldblum.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
It could be intriguing to see David Lynch direct a Star Wars film.

Backwards talking ewoks dancing in little red suits.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I would like to see a movie that takes place between Star Wars and Empire based on the only EU book I like, Shadows of the Empire.
That's the only EU book I ever read and it would have made a good film. I wouldn't mind seeing that if it was done right.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Shadows of the Empire was everything but a film.

It had a video game (the best N64 game ever other than MarioKart)
Comic book
Novel
Toys (I still have some of them in my attic)

Anything that involves the Star Wars universe's criminal underworld is totally amazing.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Don't get me started on the video game. It was a favorite when I was like 10, but having played it again this past year I can say without a doubt that it is a steaming pile of Bantha poo-doo.

IG-88 is still scary as fuck though.