If (read: when) George Lucas decides to make another Star Wars motion picture...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Who would you like to see direct it? I mean, you can pick Lucas if you want, though I'm not sure why anyone would WANT him to direct it (them, another trilogy most likely?)

In my ideal situation (well, in an ideal situation, there would be no more movies, but despite what Lucas says over and over again, we all known it's going to happen sooner or later) Lucas would still produce the films and write the story. Bring somebody else in to co-write/edit the script, because Lucas' dialogue can be pretty shitty.

And I'd bring in a completely different director for the movie(s).

My pick? Sam Raimi. For three reasons:

1. He can direct action scenes like a champ. Granted, Lucas can still direct some fantastic action scenes. Heck, the action scenes in Episode III were some of the best of the entire series, but so can Raimi. The Spiderman films are amazing showcases of choreographed action on both intimate and large scales. And his Evil Dead films and The Quick and the Dead both highlight this talent.

2. He can direct people. Lucas can't. At all. If there's one thing to be said about Raimi, it's that his actors love working with him, and he can get them to deliver. Now, he's definitely not one of the best acting directors in the business, but his work in genre films all throughout his career would apply perfectly to a Star Wars project.

3. And perhaps most importantly, Raimi would surely bring some genuine humor back into the Star Wars saga. The prequel trilogy, as hard as they tried, were simply amazingly unfunny films. I blame Lucas. If anyone can correct that it's Sam "Army of Darkness" Raimi.

Your thoughts?

M. Night Shyamalan- Darth Vader could turn out to be a ghost or something...

Quentin Tarantino - Could you imagine the conversations Han could have with Chewie in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon :drool:

Spike Lee - Some sort of racial comment on the color of Storm Troopers outfits

Seriously though:

David Fincher - Because he kicks ass, plain and simple

Bryan Singer - See previous answer...

This is a good question. Lance, I think you hit all of the topics that need to be addressed in your original post and I think only 4 directors can come close to doing another trilogy any justice.

1. Sam Raimi is a great choice for those reasons listed above.

2. Bryan Singer is a good choice too because he too can balance action/drama/comedy. His movies are known mainly for characterizations, which would have to drive this next trilogy if it is to be as successful as the originals.

3. Christopher Nolan is the shit, pure and simple. He just knows how to make enjoyable movies and most importantly, build suspense. One of the huge differences between the prequels and original movies is that in the original movies, almost everything counted for something (the actions had a reaction.) In the prequels, the only things that mattered were the fall of the Republic/Jedi and the rise of the Empire/Sith, which remained largely underdeveloped and spread way too thin.

4. Steven Spielberg. He and Lucas are buddies, have been for a while, so you know they work well with each other. I don't think Spielberg's ever directed a trilogy let alone a direct sequel to any movie, so creating and sustaining tension and suspense throughout 3 movies could be tough. Also, Spielberg was Lucas's first choice as director of Return of the Jedi, but because Lucas pulled out of the Director's Guild it was impossible.

(Little known fact: Steven Spielberg helped conceptualize the battle scenes in Episode III. Yes, it was him)

If Christopher Nolan were to direct, it wouldn't hurt if he helped write the movies too. I would die if I hear another "If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find." or "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo; so long ago when there was nothing but our love." I will shoot myself in the face with a potato gun.

Last edited:
Steven. Spielberg.

no one, but no one, could direct a better SW movie.

and i agree -- we will, one day, get 7, 8, and 9. there's another billion dollars to be made. Lucas might be dead, so might Spielberg. but it will be made.

though it would also be good to get someone who isn't a big-budget director. the reason why Empire is clearly the best of the series is because the director knew how to make the most out of what little script he has.

Great point about Empire. :up:

I love Star Wars to death, but there won't be a Star Wars movie/book/video game/comic/whatever as great as Empire ever again.

If he makes another one, I hope it's NOT a continuation of the saga. Leave the end of ROTJ as it is. All the EU crap about the emperor coming back as a clone or Luke turning to the dark side, even the crap about Han and Leia and their kid dying with Chewy SUCKS MAJOR ASS and should be ignored.

I would like to see a movie that takes place between Star Wars and Empire based on the only EU book I like, Shadows of the Empire. I would also be interested in seeing one that takes place sometime between ROTS and Star Wars.

Directors? I don't care. Script writers? Somebody who can write better than "you're so beautiful" and "I truly, deeply love you."

LemonMacPhisto said:

4. I don't think Spielberg's ever directed a trilogy let alone a direct sequel to any movie, so creating and sustaining tension and suspense throughout 3 movies could be tough.

Ummmm, Indiana Jones?

:wink:

Lancemc said:

Ummmm, Indiana Jones?

:wink:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I always thought of those movies as joint Spielberg/Lucas movies.

Other than that though, there's nothing else right?

Empire is the best adventure film ever made.

And I'd boycot the film if he had Sam Raimi direct a new one.

Last edited:
God Part III said:
And I'd boycot the film if he had Sam Raimi direct a new one.

Good to know.

And LMP, Spielberg also directed The Lost World, which was a sequel to Jurassic Park. ;)

Lancemc said:

Good to know.

And LMP, Spielberg also directed The Lost World, which was a sequel to Jurassic Park. ;)

Thank you for proving me wrong, I knew I was forgetting something. :wink:

That's exactly what a new Star Wars movie needs, Jeff Goldblum.

U2Kitten said:

I would like to see a movie that takes place between Star Wars and Empire based on the only EU book I like, Shadows of the Empire.

That's the only EU book I ever read and it would have made a good film. I wouldn't mind seeing that if it was done right.

Shadows of the Empire was everything but a film.

It had a video game (the best N64 game ever other than MarioKart)
Comic book
Novel
Toys (I still have some of them in my attic)

Anything that involves the Star Wars universe's criminal underworld is totally amazing.

Don't get me started on the video game. :no: It was a favorite when I was like 10, but having played it again this past year I can say without a doubt that it is a steaming pile of Bantha poo-doo.

IG-88 is still scary as fuck though. :wink:

I had to turn off the sound when I played the sewer level. Those dianoga monsters scared the living shit out of me.

LemonMacPhisto said:

4. Steven Spielberg. He and Lucas are buddies, have been for a while, so you know they work well with each other. I don't think Spielberg's ever directed a trilogy let alone a direct sequel to any movie, so creating and sustaining tension and suspense throughout 3 movies could be tough. Also, Spielberg was Lucas's first choice as director of Return of the Jedi, but because Lucas pulled out of the Director's Guild it was impossible.

:yes: Didn't both of them develop the idea for SW and Indiana Jones?

There is the question of how to do the movies chronologically as everything is resolved after ROTJ. Maybe sometime during Episode III and Episode IV, exploring the rise of the Empire and flight of the Jedis.

inmyplace13 said:

That's the only EU book I ever read and it would have made a good film. I wouldn't mind seeing that if it was done right.

Quite a few of the EU books are very, very good.

I always thought a TV series based on the X-Wing books would have been cool. It would have been part of the overall story but involved different characters, thus making it very refreshing.

And the main character still would have been an original - Wedge! :wink:

And of course Luke Skywalker himself would make cameos.

This is what they should do.

U2girl said:

:yes: Didn't both of them develop the idea for SW and Indiana Jones?

There is the question of how to do the movies chronologically as everything is resolved after ROTJ. Maybe sometime during Episode III and Episode IV, exploring the rise of the Empire and flight of the Jedis.

Hm, I don't know about Spielberg's involvement in the original Star Wars, but I do know Lucas, Spielberg, Harrison Ford and his wife worked on E.T. during the filming of Raiders.

I think the live action series will take place between III and IV and will be awesome.

phanan said:

Quite a few of the EU books are very, very good.

I strongly disagree. "Shadows" was awesome but I have yet to find anything else that's any good IMO. I guess it's because I totally hate everything the authors do with the characters and the storylines they concoct. Honestly, I have thoroughly enjoyed fanfic and love dozens of the stories I've read because they're done by fans who like and are interested in the characters and give them personalities, lines, and storylines I like where the EU for the most part doesn't. They do stuff I WANT to see for the characters while the EU only pisses me off and bores me. I hate what they do with Han and Leia's kids, I hate Mara Jade, she's not Luke's type at all, and too many EU books- and I've seen most in the fic community say this as well- have weird characters and places invented by the writer take over the story until it seems not like a SW story, but a scifi tale the EU writer himself made up with a few SW characters tossed in just so they could call it SW and get the fame and the money. I don't want them, I only want the main characters doing stuff I want them to do, which is why I like the fics better than the storebought books, and they're free.

Last edited:
But it is comforting to know that Lucas doesn't count the EU as 'canon', so it didn't really 'happen'. The EU contradicts itself and even the movies sometimes. I can't believe that after all six movies are now out, there's still newly printed 'Guide to the SW Universe' books saying Vader lost his right hand to Sidious for his failiure at Yavin, or to Luke in "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" (hey didn't he 'do' Leia in that book?:barf: ) and never even mention the Count Dooku scene in AOTC! They also say he wasn't aware his wife was pregnant when he turned, and now we know that was the reason he turned! They say he fell into the lava pit and went under. Can't they at least correct this stuff now? The EU is a great idea, I just hate what they've done with it over the years.

My favorite fics are AU (alternate universe) 'what if's.' I know the EU has 'infinities', but the AU fics are great because they have dozens of versions of what would have happened if Anakin didn't turn, or turned back sooner. It's amazing all the interesting ideas and scenarios fans come up with, and fun to read. There are also some great AU's that don't change the saga but at the end of ROTJ, let Anakin live and be healed and go on doing more stuff. There's been everything from happy love stories to war crimes trials to action and saving the galaxy.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Let's face it - there are inconsistencies throughout the whole story, not just in EU. I think the writers who have written the books have, for the most part, done a very good job (although some of the books aren't as good). And while they aren't considered "canon", they have been authorized by Lucas himself, so to me it's part of the overall story.

And I guess we really see this differently because I think Shadows is one of the weaker books. The original book trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) is probably still the best, but I love the X-Wing series, as I already mentioned, and the New Jedi Order books were great.

I haven't read anything new lately, however. Life is getting in the way...

And getting back to the original topic, I think someone new, an up-and-coming director, would probably be the best to do this, someone who could come in and exert fresh ideas into the story.

phanan said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Of course! SW is a HUGE fandom and everyone likes something different. If you and others enjoy the EU books that's fine, it keeps the writers in business, but there are also those of us who don't like them or accept them as part of the story. To each his own.

Let's face it - there are inconsistencies throughout the whole story, not just in EU.

Oh very true! Even in the movies. Look at the line in ROTJ where Leia tells of remembering her mother. Back when that was written, the mother (not "Padme" but a nameless, faceless generic Mrs. Vader) was supposed to have lived a few years, even married Organa. But now that we see the PT and know the story of "Padme" we see why this wouldn't work and why Lucas had to kill her, so those lines are out of place now (except to those who like to justify it by saying Leia remembered her through the 'force' which I don't accept because Luke is more force strong and he didn't.) When those lines were written, it was clearly Luke asking his sister about their mother because she had lived with her and he hadn't. Now that's changed, and IMO the lines should be taken out because it's like hearing a 555 phone number in an exciting movie, it makes you stop and go ohhh.. crap! It's fake! and it spoils the moment. Too many new fans are also confused by it. Sorry rant over.

I think the writers who have written the books have, for the most part, done a very good job (although some of the books aren't as good).

I'm sure they do a good job writing, I just don't like what they write. It's like Dave Matthews Band. Sure they're talented musicians, but I don't like their music.

And while they aren't considered "canon", they have been authorized by Lucas himself, so to me it's part of the overall story.

Lucas himself has said 'there are two universes, mine, and this other one' and he has also said 'only the movies are canon.' So it's NOT part of the overall story, but of course we as fans can pretend it is, or is not, according to our preferences. Personally I detest 95% of what they've done to the characters, so I can't enjoy it and don't want it to be part of the story.

And I guess we really see this differently because I think Shadows is one of the weaker books.

It's actually George Lucas's favorite! I don't like the stuff about Xizor hitting on Leia and I don't care for "Dash" because he's an obvious plastic clone of a Han, since Han is in carbonite during he time period. But I LOVE the stuff about Vader in his big lonely house lamenting his condition and trying to find Luke, and Luke's training in "Ben's" old hut.

The original book trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) is probably still the best, but I love the X-Wing series, as I already mentioned, and the New Jedi Order books were great.

I know ppl who like those books but I don't like the stories. And being a girl I have no interest in the X-Wing stuff. But of course we all like different stuff and we can take it or leave it. It's all supposed to be for fun. So leave it like the Golden Corral, take what you like and leave the rest. Nothing wrong with that! (unless you're talking about U2 albums and get accused of being a 'bad fan' for not liking one ;) )

One I really want to complain about is the new "Dark Lord" book by Lucerno. I sat in the bookstore and read it, glad I didn't buy it. About a third of it was a bunch of newly introduced creatures and characters I had no interest in. I don't think they even mentioned Vader for several dozen pages. And as for how he described Anakin's adjustments to being Vader, I have seen fans write much better. Some of his stuff was very lame. I had highly anticipated that book but found it disappointing. And don't get me started on that awful ROTS novelization!

Oookay, guess I'd better go find a SW board..

:reject:

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:
M. Night Shyamalan- Darth Vader could turn out to be a ghost or something...

Quentin Tarantino - Could you imagine the conversations Han could have with Chewie in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon :drool:

Spike Lee - Some sort of racial comment on the color of Storm Troopers outfits

Seriously though:

David Fincher - Because he kicks ass, plain and simple

Bryan Singer - See previous answer...

Yes.

phanan said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Let's face it - there are inconsistencies throughout the whole story, not just in EU. I think the writers who have written the books have, for the most part, done a very good job (although some of the books aren't as good). And while they aren't considered "canon", they have been authorized by Lucas himself, so to me it's part of the overall story.

And I guess we really see this differently because I think Shadows is one of the weaker books. The original book trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) is probably still the best, but I love the X-Wing series, as I already mentioned, and the New Jedi Order books were great.

I haven't read anything new lately, however. Life is getting in the way...

The Thrawn Trilogy is what I would've wanted Episodes VII, VIII, and IX to be. :up:

Back
Top Bottom