if radiohead covered U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Bloody Sunday!

And it would sound mysteriously like Edge singing solo with a geetar!

bwahahahaha

*ahem*

wink.gif

If Radiohead covered U2 (a most unlikely proposition, but what the hell), it would be one or all of the following:

Where The Streets Have No Name
Promenade
Red Light
Desire (Imagine insane trumpets and Thom Yorke on crack. It sort of works.)

Notice one thing? About the only thing Radiohead and U2 have in common is that they are intensely 'political' but do not write issue-of-the-week songs. Apart from that I can see no connection. And I cannot imagine Radiohead performing any of U2's overtly 'political' songs: Bullet, Silver and Gold, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride - no way. Just, no.

------------------
You know some songs sound like ones by Frank Sinatra
But there's no place like... NOO YAWK

good question

i guess....

1. mofo (ive always thought the national anthem was very similiar to this song... edges guitar is very similiar to what jonny and ed do, and the base lines are both similiar in ways too in that they drive the song)

2. stay (acoustic, and solo by thom)

3. dirty day

I think that if radiohead would cover U2 they'd do that with blankets

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

that's why I for one hope that it will never happen

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
right, because radiohead is such a dreadful band, it would be such an incredible insult to U2
I don't think so
but if that is your opinion then that is fine by me

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-13-2002).]

it probably isn't

to make you feel any better
I also don't hope REM will cover U2
I don't hope U2 will cover Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
and I don't hope Aphex Twin is going to play Bach

that may make me very narrow minded musically in your book, but frankly I don't care that much

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-13-2002).]

you'll get the Bach of my hand if you use that tone with me again, salome

REM sort of did cover U2, when Michael Stipe sang "One" (with Edge on guitar though) during Clinton's Innaugural Ball or whatever that was

covers are fun salome, a band plays them once or twice just for the hell of it, I loved U2's cover of The Who (Won't Get Fooled Again) and Johnny Cash (Don't Take Your Guns to Town), for instance, and I loved Radiohead's cover of Neil Young (Cinnamon Girl) and Carly Simon (Nobody Does It Better)

Primus did some amazing covers of Pink Floyd a few years back, including all of Animals

who could ever forget the unique, and electrifying covers that Jimi Hendrix left for us? (from Dylan to Dixon and so on)

I could go on and on but I wont, the point is covers are often a way to find out just how adaptive a band is... you don't like them, fine, I realize there are a lot of bad covers out there, but usually great bands are selective and do these things partly out of reverence, and partially for pleasure -- and almost always do them well

anyway, I was just musing over what song they would choose, if radiohead were ever to do a U2 cover, and thinking about what they could bring to the sound, it wasn't like I was picking out their most popular songs either, these were less obvious tracks that I think would mesh well with radiohead's style/ability

sorry if you think having someone cover your favorite band would taint their music in some way

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
sorry if you think having someone cover your favorite band would taint their music in some way
um, actually that is what you keep saying that it is what I think

I just said I don't like it

and if you want me to change my tone then it might be better if you don't suggest too often what exactly it is what I am thinking

------------------
Salome

Salome: I don't want ever hear any covers by those bands.

Wanderer: so you think those bands can't do good covers?

Salome: I never said that, don't put words in my mouth.

Wanderer: so what is it about covers that you don't like?

Salome: I just don't like them.

Wanderer: so what covers do you like?

Salome: I never said I liked any covers.

Wanderer: so you don't like any covers.

Salome: I never said that.

Wanderer: so you don't like to be under the covers when you're shakin' your thing?

Wanderer: so you like to shake your thing above the covers?

Wanderer: but you don't like to do it under the covers...

Wanderer: do you smoke a lot of hash Salome?

Salome: I don't hope to smoke any hash.

Wanderer: so you don't smoke hash because you think it will taint your senses?

Salome: I never said that. I said I don't like it.

Wanderer: why?

Salome: I never said.

Wanderer: ok, thanks for clearing that up...

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 04-14-2002).]

salome you just need some goooood tlc from wanderer. your too edgy these days... dont be afraid. let wanderer take you away.

------------------
-deathbear

Is that the smilie for vomit? I hope so.

If Radiohead covered U2, I'd change my name to Mark Chapman, renounce my anti-violence pledge, fly overseas and...well I suppose you can guess the rest...

I pray that Radiohead NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consider covering U2, whose boots they can only dream to lick.

I liked Radiohead, up till oh, about 1998. Hopefully they can pull themselves out of the shit hole that is Amnesiac with their next album.

Just a side point, but isn't it a little redundant and vaguely condescending to respond to someone's post with the comment 'well that's your opinion and your entitled to it'?? I mean, everything on a forum is opinion! Even that statement is an opinion. Hell, this sentence is an opinion...lol...

Gabriel

Originally posted by gabrielvox:
Is that the smilie for vomit? I hope so.

If Radiohead covered U2, I'd change my name to Mark Chapman, renounce my anti-violence pledge, fly overseas and...well I suppose you can guess the rest...

I pray that Radiohead NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER consider covering U2, whose boots they can only dream to lick.

I liked Radiohead, up till oh, about 1998. Hopefully they can pull themselves out of the shit hole that is Amnesiac with their next album.

Just a side point, but isn't it a little redundant and vaguely condescending to respond to someone's post with the comment 'well that's your opinion and your entitled to it'?? I mean, everything on a forum is opinion! Even that statement is an opinion. Hell, this sentence is an opinion...lol...

Gabriel

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I personally feel that Radiohead could do a great cover of Dirty Day.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Originally posted by gabrielvox:

What do you mean by that?
confused.gif

I hope I'm not interpreting that statement wrong. Perhaps I'm just stupid, and you're too intelligent for me. Would you care to explain what you were trying to say? Or was it a try to be humorous?

EDIT: I can't use that quote feature... Evil UBB code.
------------------
after years of waiting nothing came
you realize you're looking in the wrong place

[This message has been edited by FlyGirl (edited 04-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by FlyGirl (edited 04-17-2002).]

I would LOVE to hear Radiohead cover "Dirty Day."

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Flygirl, I actually hate that quote thingy (unless of course we're arguing, and I hope we aren't!
wink.gif
)

I was just trying (and failing, apparently) to be mildly humorous in saying that a Radiohead cover would drive me to do something as insane as assuming the persona of Mark Chapman and maybe, oh, assasinate the lead singer of Radiohead (OMG! did you think I meant BONO???? NEVER!!!! how could you?
tongue.gif
lol)....

Really I would never do that, I was just being funny and I certainly don't think I am more intelligent than you, I don't even know ya!
smile.gif

A little more warped, maybe..
biggrin.gif

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

Rrrgrrrrgrg. Insulting Mr. Yorke is somewhat the same as insulting Bono to me (heh). It's a good thing that you were just being funny, I may have had to hire some men to take you out... I just wanted to get on your case for your hilarious (blarg) comments. I'm evil like that.

Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to be arguing with you for insulting Amnesiac (heh).
mad.gif
I wish I was feisty... Okay, back to your scheduled 'cover' discussion. -sneaks out of thread-

------------------
after years of waiting nothing came
you realize you're looking in the wrong place

[This message has been edited by FlyGirl (edited 04-18-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom