If It's A Carolina/San Jose Final, I Will...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
revoke my interest in hockey altogether. Kidding aside, can you just imagine if this happens? How sad that would be! Yes, I know they're both good teams, but somehow it just wouldn't seem right! How do the Hurricanes even get fans out to their games? Their rink is out in the middle of nowhere, if I remember correctly. Can you imagine the cup being won in Carolina? California would be okay, but Carolina???? Sorry for the rant...

------------------
The Tempest

Interesting...but I'm definitely going for Carolina against Toronto...ANYBODY BUT TORONTO is my motto, hehe!!

GO COLORADO!
smile.gif

fuck colorado and the horse they rode in on, I hope San Jose or Carolina wins the Cup

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 05-15-2002).]

Don't like the knock on Carolina, obviously they don't have the history of a Toronto or a Boston, but they're team is fun to watch and the sport has really captured the imagination of the people in the Triangle area. It's difficult to root against savvy, classy veterans like R. Francis and R. Brind'Amour, and hard not to like the infectious youth of Cole, Battaglia, et al.

They're arena is state of the art and is now one of the more roudy, intimidating venues in the league. If they could win the Cup it would be unbelievable...similar to the Patriots - a group where no one player was bigger than the team.

Originally posted by Hawkfire:
Don't like the knock on Carolina, obviously they don't have the history of a Toronto or a Boston, but they're team is fun to watch and the sport has really captured the imagination of the people in the Triangle area. It's difficult to root against savvy, classy veterans like R. Francis and R. Brind'Amour, and hard not to like the infectious youth of Cole, Battaglia, et al.

They're arena is state of the art and is now one of the more roudy, intimidating venues in the league. If they could win the Cup it would be unbelievable...similar to the Patriots - a group where no one player was bigger than the team.

Yup, and they're having a hog-calling competition on Saturday night, so the game's been bumped, which gives the Leafs an extra day's rest between games 1 and 2.

Now that's what I call a hockeytown!
smile.gif
Their fans ARE awful loud, though.

carolina?

new fans. good team. exciting.

poke fun all you want but carolina is no less a 'hockey town' than some cities north of the border(in terms of fan support).

i'm growing tired of canadian's mainly saying 'a canadian team needs to win the cup!'. outside of national iconic teams in toronto and montreal, i fail to see how a victorious calgary, edmonton, vancouver, or ottawa benefits anyone but the residents and fans of the team. for me at least, it is more a desire to see the 'little' guy beat the 'big' guy. to see a new and young challenger come to the forefront. if carolina can beat toronto, which i of course don't think they can do
biggrin.gif
, i wouldn't mind seeing them challenge detroit or colorado for the cup. and they could as well.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 05-16-2002).]

Carolina beat Toronto? No way. You are all forgetting that Toronto is the hockey Mecca. This is our year. We are going to the cup. What a year. First the Mens and Ladies win GOLD at the olympics and then the leafs win the stanley cup!!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!

I'm torn.

Canada had 4 teams in the playoffs so I thought I might never have to actually root for the Toronto Jerks.

Now my blessed habs are gone and Toronto are the only canadian team left!!

I want the cup to come to Canada BUT:

.I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs AND
.I made a bet for 10 dollars that they wouldn't win the cup.

you see my dilema

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

It seems to me that the fashion of the day seems to be hating Toronto and its beloved leafs!!!! What gives, why no love??? T dot is the place to be. How can you not cheer for the buds??? just wondering.

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Originally posted by kobayashi:

weren't robitaille, chelios and hasek all free agent acquisitions by the way?

Robitaille was a free agent.

Chelios was acquired in a trade with Chicago for Aaron Ward, who was originally drafted by Detroit.

Hasek was acquired in a trade with Buffalo for Slava Kozlov, who was also originally drafted by Detroit.

Besides, all Wings fans know that the heart of the team is players like Darren McCarty, Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper. And Steve Yzerman, of course.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 05-16-2002).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
fuck colorado and the horse they rode in on, I hope San Jose or Carolina wins the Cup

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 05-15-2002).]

Eh???

Do I know you by the way?

------------------

I completely agree with some have said here - I've never understood the concept of cheering for a team simply because they're Canadian...
Good, clean hockey is more important for me than patriotism and that's why I'll be rooting on Colorado or Carolina!

And besides, Sakic is the MAN! (and he's from my hometown!)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 05-16-2002).]

I actually think it would be great for the sport in Carolina if they won the cup, but I do have my limits you know
wink.gif
. Seriously, every team in the NHL is composed mostly of Canadian players anyway, so I do agree, somewhat, with the point that a win really only affects the city or region. However, I do think it would be a small victory, nonetheless (for Canada), if a Canadian team wins the cup, simply because the last time was 1993 (the Habs). Ironic that I was cheering for Gretzky and the Kings that year!

But if only the US knew what it was like to live in a Canadian hockey city. I guess it's similar to living in a US baseball city in some ways, but I really don't think it's the same. (And no, we will never know what it's really like living in a US baseball city, either of course.)

And this all brings me to *my* dilema: I hate Toronto too! It's like everyone thinks they're the center of Canada or something, like they're the only city/hockey team that really matters here (even politically). Well, that's just not true at all (unless your thinking in terms of federal politics), and it ticks me off! Since the Leafs and Cains have several ex-Canucks, maybe it's a bit of a consolation prize if either of them win, but it's not enough to persuade me.

It's quite obvious that the Stanley Cup final is really being played between Colorado and Detroit. (I was talking to Jason Strudwick of the Canucks today, and he even agrees with me.) My, I really have succeeded in sounding quite obnoxious, haven't I?
wink.gif

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
Interesting...but I'm definitely going for Carolina against Toronto...ANYBODY BUT TORONTO is my motto, hehe!!

Amen.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i'm growing tired of canadian's mainly saying 'a canadian team needs to win the cup!'. outside of national iconic teams in toronto and montreal, i fail to see how a victorious calgary, edmonton, vancouver, or ottawa benefits anyone but the residents and fans of the team. for me at least, it is more a desire to see the 'little' guy beat the 'big' guy.

I agree with this point. I'd like to see a Canadian team win just because it would be nice to see a small-market team beat, for example, the Red Wing$. The Leafs and Habs are "iconic" teams in this country with many fans outside their respective cities, but even then, I don't see a victory by either of them as a victory for Canada but just for their respective cities.

Originally posted by The Blunt Edge:
I agree with this point. I'd like to see a Canadian team win just because it would be nice to see a small-market team beat, for example, the Red Wing$. The Leafs and Habs are "iconic" teams in this country with many fans outside their respective cities, but even then, I don't see a victory by either of them as a victory for Canada but just for their respective cities.

Um, last I checked, Detroit was also one of the Original Six teams, and the population of the metro Detroit area was not too much larger than those of Toronto or Montreal.

And the Red Wing$ comment? The vast majority of the current Detroit Red Wings roster (just about anybody who's important other than Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille) was not acquired through free agency.

Originally posted by speedracer:
free agency.

free agency or not, a lot of cash is required to acquire that roster.

weren't robitaille, chelios and hasek all free agent acquisitions by the way?

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
I actually think it would be great for the sport in Carolina if they won the cup, but I do have my limits you know
wink.gif
. Seriously, every team in the NHL is composed mostly of Canadian players anyway, so I do agree, somewhat, with the point that a win really only affects the city or region. However, I do think it would be a small victory, nonetheless (for Canada), if a Canadian team wins the cup, simply because the last time was 1993 (the Habs). Ironic that I was cheering for Gretzky and the Kings that year!

but the reasons to identify canadian teams as a collective are few and far between. excluding toronto, all have pleaded with fans and/or municipal/provincial/federal governments for help. the argument could be made that battling the dollar makes it harder for them than anyone else and all of vancouver, calgary and edmonton did an alright job of that this year. i think that is really the only binding factor. in my opinion hockey's position in the canadian psyche would remain pretty much where it is now if the cup were to 'come home'. maybe that's cause i live in a hockey city, and am from the hockey city
wink.gif
though.

we could also identify teams in the south east as those with pathetically low attendance. is carolina there poster boy?

Good, clean hockey is more important for me than patriotism and that's why I'll be rooting on Colorado or Carolina?

Are you implying that Detroit and Toronto are dirty teams?

Good, clean hockey is more important for me than patriotism and that's why I'll be rooting on Colorado or Carolina!

I'm a proponent of clean hockey too but at the end of the day, I'd never cheer for an American team, no matter who's playing for them. Sowwie, I guess I'm a bit of a Canadian patriot.

But like some of you have already posted, the anti-Leafs dilemma exists in Canada. Is it just big market envy? Or the loyalty of diehard Leafs fans?
confused.gif
I know CBC did a ditty on it before Game 7 against the Sens. They painted a picture that all of Canada hates the Leafs and everyone was rooting for the Sens (which is somewhat inaccurate IMO). Being as naive as I am, where did it come from?

Back to the original question, I'd like to see an Original Six final, Detroit vs. Toronto. It'd be fun; it'd be cool. It'd be like old times.

Back
Top Bottom