If I was to buy a Jimi Hendrix album..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
..which one would a Hendrix fan here REALLY recommend?

I'd like to buy one for my mum, but I mean, one really worth it, all his real good stuff.........she recently bought a Rory Gallagher CD, (like a blue cover - his face is blue), and its really really good.......

Is Purple Haze an album? Or just the best song to have???

:help:

Thanks!

When somebody is getting an artist's album for the first time, I tend to say go with a greatest hits album.

I was listening to Hendrix's The Ultimate Experience yesterday...I love that album. Here's the tracklist:

1. All Along The Watchtower
  2. Purple Haze
  3. Hey Joe
  4. The Wind Cries Mary
  5. Angel
  6. Voodoo Child
  7. Foxy Lady
  8. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
  9. Highway Chile
  10. Crosstown Traffic
  11. Castles Made Of Sand
  12. Long Hot Summer Night
  13. Red House
  14. Manic Depression
  15. Gypsy Eyes
  16. Little Wing
  17. Fire
  18. Wait Until Tomorrow
  19. Star Spangled Banner
  20. Wild Thing (Live)
    [/list=1]

I love every song! :kiss:

Voo Doo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Experience is also among my collection and awesome.

Disc: 1
1. Purple Haze
2. Hey Joe
3. The Wind Cries Mary
4. Fire
5. Highway Chile
6. Are You Experienced?
7. Burning of the Midnight Lamp
8. Little Wing
9. All Along the Watchtower
10. Crosstown Traffic
11. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
12. Spanish Castle Magic
13. Stone Free
14. Izabella
15. Stepping Stone
16. Angel
17. Dolly Dagger
18. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)

Disc: 2
1. Fire (live)
2. Hey Joe (live)
3. I Don't Live Today (live)
4. Hear My Train a Coming (live)
5. Foxey Lady (live)
6. Machine Gun (live)
7. Johnny B. Goode (live)
8. Red House (live)
9. Freedom (live)
10. Purple Haze (live)
11. Star Spangled Banner (live)
12. Wild Thing (live)

Hello,

As for actual Jimi Hendrix albums (so no greatest hits compilations) I think any of his three studio albums he released during his lifetime are great. Are You Experienced? has many of the early (and well-known) singles (that is: if you buy the 17 track, expanded edition with the non-album singles attached): Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Foxy Lady. Overall, the album sounds much like your Sixties, guitar-bass-drums album although Jimi's guitar work is phenomenal.
Axis: Bold As Love doesn't have any well-known singles, but Little Wing is maybe the tenderest song he has ever recorded. Castles Made Of Sand is a great song too. In fact, all 13 songs are great.
Finally, Electric Ladyland is his masterpiece. A great double album, with some superb well-known tracks: Crosstown Traffic, All Along The Watchtower, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), etc. He plays amazingly on the album and it has my favourite Hendrix section on it: 1983 (A Mermaid I Should Turn To Be)/... Moon Turn The Tides, gently, gently away. Jimi is also a bit more experimental on this album (like those last 2 songs I mentioned) and it sounds amazing. I think you get it that this is my favourite Hendrix album.

C ya!

Marty

Yes you should make sure about Little Wing

I?d go for an all live album. "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" if you can find it. I wouldn?t go for a greatest hits, because those tend to be not the original plan of the artist, mixed up in years of his carreer, etc.

Buy a live album or buy one of the three studio ones; she can buy the two others later if she wants to. Axis: Bold As Love or Electric Ladyland are very good picks.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I wouldn?t go for a greatest hits, because those tend to be not the original plan of the artist, mixed up in years of his carreer, etc.

This is especially true for Jimi Hendrix and his artistic vision. He commented a few times that he had it all planned out and then the record company would do a totally different thing (ex. The tracklisting for Electric Ladyland was carefully constructed and then suddenly the RC releases Crosstown Traffic as a single).

BTW, if you recently bought a Rory Gallagher CD for your mother (and she likes that one) then maybe Jimi's first album (Are You Experienced?) is the most logical choice. It is the most bluesy and straightforward album (I just listened to it again this afternoon) and it has already many famous songs (Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Foxy Lady, Red House).
That said, Electric Ladyland is still my favourite though...

C ya!

Marty

Definitely "Electric Ladyland" imho.
best of's are good value to get started with, but that album is so diverse , it ebbs and flows, it soars.
Jimi:heart: :( :angel: RIP

PS: when you come to Oz with U2..bring your mum2

you can watch my Jimi Live at the Filimore video.
What a man!!!

Your mum loves Rory? Cool. Yesterday I made a Rory video cover for my friend, That was a pleasure, what a beautiful boy he was.

an aside to me aside, my friend saw Joe Cocker in Brisbane last Friday. She always does a great job describing the concerts to me. So far she has seen Roxy Music, twice, Rod Stewart, The Corrs, she 's got Billy Idol and RHCP tickets and is DEFINITELY going to the Rolling Stones( she's rich, I'm not:D ) Her descriptions ar ealmost as good as being there...almost.
She said Joe Cocker was giving off "radiance".
She also said it was his first Oz concert, he looked a bit stressed, she hopes he survives the next 12. Radiant Joe Cocker:)
PEACE

Re: PS: when you come to Oz with U2..bring your mum2

cass said:
you can watch my Jimi Live at the Filimore video.
What a man!!!

Your mum loves Rory? Cool. Yesterday I made a Rory video cover for my friend, That was a pleasure, what a beautiful boy he was.

an aside to me aside, my friend saw Joe Cocker in Brisbane last Friday. She always does a great job describing the concerts to me. So far she has seen Roxy Music, twice, Rod Stewart, The Corrs, she 's got Billy Idol and RHCP tickets and is DEFINITELY going to the Rolling Stones( she's rich, I'm not:D ) Her descriptions ar ealmost as good as being there...almost.
She said Joe Cocker was giving off "radiance".
She also said it was his first Oz concert, he looked a bit stressed, she hopes he survives the next 12. Radiant Joe Cocker:)
PEACE

joe is soooo okey.

the stones.. well I saw them with 14 it waz first rock concert and kinda boring.

the spirit of zappa is laughing his head off

Back
Top Bottom