If I find the band that butchered Nothing Compares To U

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
You know, the - so far nameless, fill me in by all means - punk/ska band who thought it would be HILARIOUS to cover Nothing Compares To U in their inimitable punk/ska style. Well if I find them, I will kill them.

I mean, what were they thinking?

Gee guys, you know that old Sinead (possibly pronounced sin-ee-ad) O'Connor song? Wouldn't it be cool if we did it in our inimitable punk/ska style? Sure it would. It'd be a riot, in fact.

Wrong, boys. Wrong wrong wrong.

You sure about that? I know they did cover some other song about love, or loving you, or something. But that was a shit song to begin with.

they have a cover of nothing compares 2 u on their new album.

i like them. i like the way they take the piss out of everything. that said i don't get much kick out of the new album because i don't know any of the songs except 'i believe i can fly'.

which really says a lot about my knowledge of such classics as seasons in the sun.

Ah yes, I Believe I Can Fly, that was the shit song I was thinking of.

But Nothing Compares to U? That's just wrong. It almost made me give up the will to live.

i doubt you'll find the german punk version of 'with or without you' i dredged up one dull morning amusing then.

think of it as a punk tradition ever since sid vicious decided to fuck up 'my way'.

Yeah but these guys aren't punk. Not really. They're about as punk as NO-FX. It's all a genre thing to them, it's got nothing to do with the spirit of the thing.

I mean, sure it's mildly amusing. I'd pay to hear Rammstein do With or Without You, but that's more into camp territory.

fat mike from nofx plays bass me first and the gimme gimmes, so you may have a point there

i do like them though. me first, i mean, nofx are pretty rubbish.

and rammstein isn't punk. :wink:

Re: Re: If I find the band that butchered Nothing Compares To U

zonelistener said:

It WAS a Prince song before Sinead took it on.

Well YEAH, we all know that but the Sinead version is the definitive version of the song. It's a classic. This new version sucks all the life out of the song. All the emotion is lost. It's a dead song.

I think notiti likes Me First and the Gimme Gimme's if I remember correctly but that will not change my opinion.

Horrible, this song. It is even worse than the jump to conclusions mat.

Havn't punk bands doing pop covers gotten kinda old? Shouldn't they be propper and cover the Misfits or Stooges? Show their roots?

me first are supposed to be funny. i think they're funny, but it's not for everyone.

and i think their singer spike is from lagwagon, who are similar to nofx

Back
Top Bottom