If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 05:11 AM
If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy?

Ok, so here's the deal.... I have an extra $20 that I want to spend on a CD. I have visited the record shop around the corner recently and can confirm the following CD's in stock. Now, I need you to help me chose which of the 5 CD's I am going to list, I should buy. Keep in mind, I want them all eventually. I will give a brief explanation as to why they made it on my list and then I need you to pick ONE and only one, of the five albums mentioned and explain to me in the most innovative, descriptive, and convincing way why I should chose that particular CD!

The List

1. Elliott Smith - "XO" Have heard a couple tunes, and love his voice
2. Remy Zero - "Villa Elaine" Love the song 'Save Me'
3. Gavin Friday - " Adam'N'Eve" I am in love with 'Shag Tobacco'
4. Elbow - "Asleep In The Back" Curious to hear more...
5. Doves - "Last Broadcast" Like 'Friday's Dust'... convince me the rest is good too.

*Keep in mind that there are NO substitutions as the list has been created based upon availability.

OK, Let the games begin! Oh!! and you have until 2pm PST.

THX!!!!

Old 07-25-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Re: If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel

5. Doves - "Last Broadcast" Like 'Friday's Dust'... convince me the rest is good too.

*Keep in mind that there are NO substitutions as the list has been created based upon availability.
Friday's Dust is not a song I'd class as an album highlight, but The Last Broadcast doesn't really have any weak tracks. Its just really beautiful music, and it rocks in places also. Oh yeah and Jon loves it too!

how's that for an argument?

Old 07-25-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I am currently writing you a detailed music review. Watch this space.

Old 07-25-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
New Yorker

Re: If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy?

Quote:

I really like Pounding, Words and The Sulphur Man from this cd.

Gets my vote from the list.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 AM

It's SO difficult for me to choose between Elbow and Doves, but I think Doves win by a VERY, VERY close margin. It's really a gorgeous, uplifting album. Especially "Pounding" and "Satellites." If you like "Friday's Dust," you will LOVE the rest of the album.

Also, the US version comes with a bonus disk of b-sides.

Get Elbow soon, though!!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually "save me" is on "the Golden Hum"

but........

I like that one and the Doves

wow I don't help.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
Actually "save me" is on "the Golden Hum"
I know.... but they don't have their latest album in store right now. Plus I heard that "Villa Elaine" is really good, and some say even better than their current offering.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Refugee

scrap that list and go by the new creed cd!

nah, just kidding i would say the doves cd is truly exceptional. you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:17 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I know.... but they don't have their latest album in store right now. Plus I heard that "Villa Elaine" is really good, and some say even better than their current offering.
I like Villa Elaine better, but the Doves album is FAR superior.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:40 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

While I am torn between Elbow and Doves, I think Doves are probably easier to enjoy straight-off and at the moment I am listening to them, so I have decided to recommend Last Broadcast. I just wrote this Ďreviewí on the spur-of-the-moment and I havenít done any real writing for ages (unless you count my 40-page finance thesis paper ), so I apologize if itís not all that professional. But hey, I took the time all for you, Angel! Hereís my $.02.

Doves - Last Broadcast

From the opening notes, chiming slowly in the background as the music swirls and builds, Last Broadcast is a musical journey that I never tire of taking. As the Intro fades into the song Words, the thumping drumbeat and the ringing guitars are slightly evocative of U2, but not in a pedantic slavish sort of way. Simply put, this band sounds like they could fill arenas and maybe stadiums with their soaring music. The comfortable way with which the band mixes electronic and studio effects with the bass, guitar, and drums is likely related to their previous incarnation as Sub Sub - a Manchester club band. In any case, Doves move deftly from simple acoustic numbers to complex, layered pieces without missing a beat.

The uplifting There Goes the Fear, a summery sort of tune that ends on a whimsical note complete with bongo drums, leads to the crackling antique-sounding M62 Song, melancholy and harmonic. Another instrumental number Where Weíre Calling From seamlessly flows into their tribute to American city New York, a very Britrock number that builds to a frenzied finale. Satellites, a shimmering gospel-tinged piece, is one of the highlights of the album. It builds from a simple drum/clapping beat to a powerful yet never OVER-powering anthem, supported by background vocals that sound both choir-like and individual. Fridayís Dust is a sweet and simple acoustic song, given depth by the strings hovering in the background. Itís a perfect counterpoint to the next track, the absolutely throbbing Pounding. Predominated by a thumping drumbeat and driving guitar, Pounding explodes during the chorus into exuberance. The Last Broadcast, the title track, on the surface seems almost simple and too calm following a song like Pounding. But as it winds its way along, the guitar flits lightly above the vocals and the result is something that sounds like a bittersweet requiem. Pipe organs open The Sulfur Man on a majestic note but the mood quickly shifts to an echo-ey, almost dreamy tone. The closing track Caught by the River is one that has begun to see increasing radio play and for good reason. Itís a solid beautiful guitar-based anthem that showcases all of the talents of the band: the solid sense of rhythm, evocative melodies, layered guitars and deft use of studio effects that never overwhelm the song but give it a sense of depth and completeness.

In essence, there are no reasons not to own this album and twelve very good reasons to add it to your collection. In a world made up of plastic pop and insipid rock, Doves give fuel to the hope that genuine song-crafting and solid musicianship is not a lost art.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:45 AM   #11
New Yorker

Ok, I agree w/ meegannie that the decision between Elbow & Doves is sooooooo difficult. I guess it depends what you are looking for - more mellow or more uplifting. Not that each can't be both of those...anyway, if I have to pick one, I'm joining the crowd and going with Doves. My favorites are "pounding" (just thinking of this song makes me want to get up and run around or something - it's amazing) and "caught by the river." It's a wonderful album, and you won't be sorry you got it. So, yeah - DOVES.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:47 AM   #12
New Yorker

Big Grin

careful sula, if your employers see u doing this theyre likely to take more than .02 off your pay packet!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:48 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Nice work.

Sula, I think you have firmly cemented your position in the Cabinet.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #14
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Damn sula that was awesome! Thx so much for spending the time! Ok, I do have a question.... I have to admit that when I first heard the song "Last Broadcast" I did not like it at all. I haven't really listened to it since... so, that being said, with me not caring for "Last Broadcast", will this sort of set a standard for me throughout the album? Or would you say that liking that track is not dependent on liking the rest of the album?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

woohoo! Does this mean I get Jimi???

thanks, meg.

*throws 2 pennies at brettig*