If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Ok, so here's the deal.... I have an extra $20 that I want to spend on a CD. I have visited the record shop around the corner recently and can confirm the following CD's in stock. Now, I need you to help me chose which of the 5 CD's I am going to list, I should buy. Keep in mind, I want them all eventually. I will give a brief explanation as to why they made it on my list and then I need you to pick ONE and only one, of the five albums mentioned and explain to me in the most innovative, descriptive, and convincing way why I should chose that particular CD! :D

The List

1. Elliott Smith - "XO" Have heard a couple tunes, and love his voice
2. Remy Zero - "Villa Elaine" Love the song 'Save Me'
3. Gavin Friday - " Adam'N'Eve" I am in love with 'Shag Tobacco'
4. Elbow - "Asleep In The Back" Curious to hear more...
5. Doves - "Last Broadcast" Like 'Friday's Dust'... convince me the rest is good too.

*Keep in mind that there are NO substitutions as the list has been created based upon availability.

OK, Let the games begin! :D Oh!! and you have until 2pm PST.

THX!!!! :sexywink:

Angel said:

5. Doves - "Last Broadcast" Like 'Friday's Dust'... convince me the rest is good too.

*Keep in mind that there are NO substitutions as the list has been created based upon availability.

Friday's Dust is not a song I'd class as an album highlight, but The Last Broadcast doesn't really have any weak tracks. Its just really beautiful music, and it rocks in places also. Oh yeah and Jon loves it too! :D

how's that for an argument?

It's SO difficult for me to choose between Elbow and Doves, but I think Doves win by a VERY, VERY close margin. It's really a gorgeous, uplifting album. Especially "Pounding" and "Satellites." If you like "Friday's Dust," you will LOVE the rest of the album.

Also, the US version comes with a bonus disk of b-sides. :)

Get Elbow soon, though!!

Actually "save me" is on "the Golden Hum"

but........

I like that one and the Doves

wow I don't help.

MonaVox said:
Actually "save me" is on "the Golden Hum"

I know.... but they don't have their latest album in store right now. Plus I heard that "Villa Elaine" is really good, and some say even better than their current offering.

scrap that list and go by the new creed cd!

nah, just kidding i would say the doves cd is truly exceptional. you won't be disappointed.

Angel said:

I know.... but they don't have their latest album in store right now. Plus I heard that "Villa Elaine" is really good, and some say even better than their current offering.

I like Villa Elaine better, but the Doves album is FAR superior. :D

While I am torn between Elbow and Doves, I think Doves are probably easier to enjoy straight-off and at the moment I am listening to them, so I have decided to recommend Last Broadcast. I just wrote this ?review? on the spur-of-the-moment and I haven?t done any real writing for ages (unless you count my 40-page finance thesis paper:huh: ), so I apologize if it?s not all that professional. But hey, I took the time all for you, Angel! :D Here?s my $.02.

Doves - Last Broadcast

From the opening notes, chiming slowly in the background as the music swirls and builds, Last Broadcast is a musical journey that I never tire of taking. As the Intro fades into the song Words, the thumping drumbeat and the ringing guitars are slightly evocative of U2, but not in a pedantic slavish sort of way. Simply put, this band sounds like they could fill arenas and maybe stadiums with their soaring music. The comfortable way with which the band mixes electronic and studio effects with the bass, guitar, and drums is likely related to their previous incarnation as Sub Sub - a Manchester club band. In any case, Doves move deftly from simple acoustic numbers to complex, layered pieces without missing a beat.

The uplifting There Goes the Fear, a summery sort of tune that ends on a whimsical note complete with bongo drums, leads to the crackling antique-sounding M62 Song, melancholy and harmonic. Another instrumental number Where We?re Calling From seamlessly flows into their tribute to American city New York, a very Britrock number that builds to a frenzied finale. Satellites, a shimmering gospel-tinged piece, is one of the highlights of the album. It builds from a simple drum/clapping beat to a powerful yet never OVER-powering anthem, supported by background vocals that sound both choir-like and individual. Friday?s Dust is a sweet and simple acoustic song, given depth by the strings hovering in the background. It?s a perfect counterpoint to the next track, the absolutely throbbing Pounding. Predominated by a thumping drumbeat and driving guitar, Pounding explodes during the chorus into exuberance. The Last Broadcast, the title track, on the surface seems almost simple and too calm following a song like Pounding. But as it winds its way along, the guitar flits lightly above the vocals and the result is something that sounds like a bittersweet requiem. Pipe organs open The Sulfur Man on a majestic note but the mood quickly shifts to an echo-ey, almost dreamy tone. The closing track Caught by the River is one that has begun to see increasing radio play and for good reason. It?s a solid beautiful guitar-based anthem that showcases all of the talents of the band: the solid sense of rhythm, evocative melodies, layered guitars and deft use of studio effects that never overwhelm the song but give it a sense of depth and completeness.

In essence, there are no reasons not to own this album and twelve very good reasons to add it to your collection. In a world made up of plastic pop and insipid rock, Doves give fuel to the hope that genuine song-crafting and solid musicianship is not a lost art.

Last edited:
Ok, I agree w/ meegannie that the decision between Elbow & Doves is sooooooo difficult. :slant: I guess it depends what you are looking for - more mellow or more uplifting. Not that each can't be both of those:huh:...anyway, if I have to pick one, I'm joining the crowd and going with Doves. My favorites are "pounding" (just thinking of this song makes me want to get up and run around or something - it's amazing) and "caught by the river." It's a wonderful album, and you won't be sorry you got it. So, yeah - DOVES. :up: :D

Damn sula that was awesome! Thx so much for spending the time! :D Ok, I do have a question.... I have to admit that when I first heard the song "Last Broadcast" I did not like it at all. I haven't really listened to it since... so, that being said, with me not caring for "Last Broadcast", will this sort of set a standard for me throughout the album? Or would you say that liking that track is not dependent on liking the rest of the album?

My pleasure, Angel. And no, I don't think liking the title track is a prerequisite for enjoying the rest of the album. It's not to everyone's taste (although I quite like it for what it is). I think if you get a chance to preview any more songs, you should hear Words, Pounding, There Goes the Fear, and Satellites. If you hate those...then disregard my review and don't buy the album. But if you enjoy them as much as I do....definitely don't hesitate and buy it NOW!! :D

Elliott Smith - XO
(though Either/Or is my favorite album of his)

Doves are good but they're more of the same we've been hearing from britain.

Elliott Smith has become my favorite artist next to u2, he has influenced my guitar playing probably even more the Edge!

XO is the album that hooked me
Elliott has the most soothing voice in the music industry, no ifs, ands, or buts. It is perfect; so soft around the edges and keeps perfect integrity no matter or high or low his voice goes. It alone is almost worth hearing the album for!

But then there's the complext song structure. I love the Doves album but underneath all the sounds it's basically your run of the mill 3 chord progressions. Satellites is a good example of that. Elliott, however, is like me. When I write tunes I strive to write outside the box and often I use chords I don't even know the names of. This is what I got from Elliott - just a pure love of complexity and song structure.

And yet this type of song structure doesn't take away from the catchiness at all! Many of his songs sound poppy...I've described his stuff as a cross between The Beatles and Radiohead(The bends).
I can't explain how much respect I have for this guy! He has a new album coming out in september and it will blow everyones minds!!

His songs on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack are a good exapmle of his lyrics. VERY well written, very poetic and usually pretty sad. The sad lyrics combined with the generally happy souunding tunes really adds a nice dynamic. Plus his voice gives everything a blue undertone anyway!

The song from XO that hooked me was "Waltz #2" - a FLAWLESS song. Such a cute chord progression and waltzy drum beat ande lyrics are amazing!! and it is a great example of how his voice operates.

first the mic, the half cigarette
singing cathy's clown
that's the man she's been married to now
thats the girl he's been taking 'round town

she appears composed, so she is I suppose
who can really tell?
she shows no emotion at all
stares into space like a dead china doll

I'm never gonna know you now
but I'm gonna love you anyhow

those last lines kill me everytime!! so nice!

Get this album!!! ;)
thats him below :)

Last edited:
I was waiting for Basstrap to post about Elliott! Now I am torn!!!!

Doves?
Elliott?
Doves?
Elliott?
Doves?
Elliott?

*Maybe the store will let me listen to them.........

to answer your question Angel, no. the title track is evocative of badly drawn boy if anyone, but apart from M62 song maybe theres little else on the album thats similar to that...

You guys suck! I shouldn't look at these type of threads:p No money, yet now thanks to Sula and Brettig etc I really wanna get Doves Last Broadcast:mad:

I have too many CDs as it is and chose RHCP By The Way over this recently, but I do LOVE There Goes The Fear, the only song I can remember hearing from the album, will I like the rest?:wink:

Angel, just to make sure you give Elbow their fair hearing as well (because I adore them and they are so damn good)...I thought I'd throw a review of theirs in the mix. Not one I wrote (spent too much time this morning as it was ;)) but one from www.ukmusicsearch.co.uk.

Unfortunately, Manchester band Elbow seem to have been lost under the current avalanche of the NAM [New Acoustic Movement] scene, that's recently been invented. Unfortunate, because Elbow are much, much more interesting than the NAM tag would have you believe.

Asleep In The Back is an impressive album that improves upon repeated listenings. It's true that if you play it on a nice bright sunny day as background music, it's likely to leave you cold and unimpressed, but late at night, with your full attention the songs come to life and grab hold of you. Elbow write dark, intense and atmospheric songs that capture the attention through their originality and sounds.

From album opener, Any Day Now, with its proper Led Zeppelinesque drums, subtle organ sounds and mantra like vocals - you can tell that this is a special album. Current single, Red, with it's simple childlike piano sounds is suitably epic and at the same time mournful, while Little Beast has blues guitar riffs and a Tom Waits like feel to it. Singer Guy Garvey when he hits the high notes has a tendency to sound like the singer from Coldplay, but whereas they seem happy to play with safe indie rock dynamics, Elbow like to throw as much diversity as they can into each of their songs. Bitten By The Tailfly, comes on like a New Orleans funeral procession, before being interrupted by walls of guitar noise and heavy riffing. Newborn, with its pretty acoustic guitars and melodic vocals has every chance of competing with the likes of Coldplay or Badly Drawn Boy in the indie rock fraternity, while Presuming Ed [Rest Easy] changes tack again and is a twisted gospel song, like Spiritualized with a bad hangover, very dark but somehow optimistic. Album closer, Scattered Black And Whites, is full of acoustic guitars, pianos and soulful vocals about childhood memories.

Asleep In The Back is an album that deserves and rewards repeated listenings, discovering new things each time you hear it is part of its charms. While a lot of bands are doing this sort of slowed down rock thing at the moment, Embrace, Coldplay, Turin Brakes etc. Elbow are a band who are taking it to the next level and adding originality and creativity into the mix, and have created a fantastic debut album.

ok... this is getting really hard.

Maybe I'll buy Rattle & Hum on DVD. lol I can't decide!! :scream: My curiosity is leaning me towards Elliott Smith. It's funny that you all are recommending Doves... as that was sort of last on my list, but perhaps I should be buying that today. I am pretty confident that I will like Elbow, as I have already heard the songs "Powder Blue" and "No One". I love that haunting 'slowed down rock' as the review described. Hmmm....
April- yes, Gavin, Gavin, Gavin, Gavin... but I do already have a Gavin album. I will indeed purchase "Adam'N'Eve" eventually, but me thinks not today.
Remy Zero... don't know enough yet to take the plunge so....

At 10:13am, it stands at Elliott, Elbow, Doves. And yes, in that order.

I just don't know!!! I need more help!!

ok, go with what you are sure about first. You will feel comfortable buying Doves would you not?

But I strongly recommend that you get either Elliot Smith XO or Elliott Smith Either/Or sometime soon!!! ;)

Either/Or is a beautiful album!!

Of all those listed, I've only heard Elbow.. and it's definately quite smashing.

I have both the Doves and Elliot Smith albums. It is indeed a tough decision. I agree with Sula and the others from the Doves camp, it is a very good album. But I also agree with Basstrap about the brilliance of Elliot Smith. Although bass, I would also recommend Figure 8, perhaps even over XO but they are both excellent.

Angel, you should keep in mind that Elliot Smith is a legendary figure here in the Pacific Northwest. He is originally from Portland although he is currently living in LA and he has achieved near cult-status in our region. Worth getting to know for that reason alone.

So much good music, so little money. *sigh*

sulawesigirl4 said:
So what was your decision? *is quite curious* :D

LMAO girl. I was actually thinking this morning, "Where did sulaweisigirl go?" haha

Ok.... :silent: Slightly ashamed to admit this... but... I didn't buy any of them!!! I ran out of money. :( See, I thought I had an extra $20, but as it turned out, after I bought a few things that I needed.... I didn't have the extra money afterall. :scream: However, I get paid this Thursday and plan to buy either Doves or Elliott Smith or even Elbow. I will force the record store to let me listen to them, and then, when I make my purchase... I will tell you all!! :D lol

Thx again for all your recommendations. The interference community has been very pivotal in my experiencing new music.

Back
Top Bottom