If I can only buy one CD, what should I buy? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2002, 11:59 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:48 AM
My pleasure, Angel. And no, I don't think liking the title track is a prerequisite for enjoying the rest of the album. It's not to everyone's taste (although I quite like it for what it is). I think if you get a chance to preview any more songs, you should hear Words, Pounding, There Goes the Fear, and Satellites. If you hate those...then disregard my review and don't buy the album. But if you enjoy them as much as I do....definitely don't hesitate and buy it NOW!!

Old 07-25-2002, 11:59 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Elliott Smith - XO
(though Either/Or is my favorite album of his)

Doves are good but they're more of the same we've been hearing from britain.

Elliott Smith has become my favorite artist next to u2, he has influenced my guitar playing probably even more the Edge!

XO is the album that hooked me
Elliott has the most soothing voice in the music industry, no ifs, ands, or buts. It is perfect; so soft around the edges and keeps perfect integrity no matter or high or low his voice goes. It alone is almost worth hearing the album for!

But then there's the complext song structure. I love the Doves album but underneath all the sounds it's basically your run of the mill 3 chord progressions. Satellites is a good example of that. Elliott, however, is like me. When I write tunes I strive to write outside the box and often I use chords I don't even know the names of. This is what I got from Elliott - just a pure love of complexity and song structure.

And yet this type of song structure doesn't take away from the catchiness at all! Many of his songs sound poppy...I've described his stuff as a cross between The Beatles and Radiohead(The bends).
I can't explain how much respect I have for this guy! He has a new album coming out in september and it will blow everyones minds!!

His songs on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack are a good exapmle of his lyrics. VERY well written, very poetic and usually pretty sad. The sad lyrics combined with the generally happy souunding tunes really adds a nice dynamic. Plus his voice gives everything a blue undertone anyway!

The song from XO that hooked me was "Waltz #2" - a FLAWLESS song. Such a cute chord progression and waltzy drum beat ande lyrics are amazing!! and it is a great example of how his voice operates.

first the mic, the half cigarette
singing cathy's clown
that's the man she's been married to now
thats the girl he's been taking 'round town

she appears composed, so she is I suppose
who can really tell?
she shows no emotion at all
stares into space like a dead china doll

I'm never gonna know you now
but I'm gonna love you anyhow

those last lines kill me everytime!! so nice!

Get this album!!!
thats him below

Old 07-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

ignore!
damn me!
Old 07-25-2002, 12:09 PM   #19
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 05:48 AM
crys

I was waiting for Basstrap to post about Elliott! Now I am torn!!!!

Doves?
Elliott?
Doves?
Elliott?
Doves?
Elliott?

*Maybe the store will let me listen to them.........
Old 07-25-2002, 12:16 PM   #20
New Yorker

to answer your question Angel, no. the title track is evocative of badly drawn boy if anyone, but apart from M62 song maybe theres little else on the album thats similar to that...
Old 07-25-2002, 12:21 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 09:48 AM

You guys suck! I shouldn't look at these type of threads No money, yet now thanks to Sula and Brettig etc I really wanna get Doves Last Broadcast

I have too many CDs as it is and chose RHCP By The Way over this recently, but I do LOVE There Goes The Fear, the only song I can remember hearing from the album, will I like the rest?
Old 07-25-2002, 12:34 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Gavin Gavin Gavin Gavin.

Ok, I need to hear this Doves stuff. If someone is kind enough to burn me a copy of theirs, I have a list of boots I'll mail and you can pick one to trade for it. Just PM if this sounds cool.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:45 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Angel, just to make sure you give Elbow their fair hearing as well (because I adore them and they are so damn good)...I thought I'd throw a review of theirs in the mix. Not one I wrote (spent too much time this morning as it was ) but one from www.ukmusicsearch.co.uk.

Unfortunately, Manchester band Elbow seem to have been lost under the current avalanche of the NAM [New Acoustic Movement] scene, that's recently been invented. Unfortunate, because Elbow are much, much more interesting than the NAM tag would have you believe.

Asleep In The Back is an impressive album that improves upon repeated listenings. It's true that if you play it on a nice bright sunny day as background music, it's likely to leave you cold and unimpressed, but late at night, with your full attention the songs come to life and grab hold of you. Elbow write dark, intense and atmospheric songs that capture the attention through their originality and sounds.

From album opener, Any Day Now, with its proper Led Zeppelinesque drums, subtle organ sounds and mantra like vocals - you can tell that this is a special album. Current single, Red, with it's simple childlike piano sounds is suitably epic and at the same time mournful, while Little Beast has blues guitar riffs and a Tom Waits like feel to it. Singer Guy Garvey when he hits the high notes has a tendency to sound like the singer from Coldplay, but whereas they seem happy to play with safe indie rock dynamics, Elbow like to throw as much diversity as they can into each of their songs. Bitten By The Tailfly, comes on like a New Orleans funeral procession, before being interrupted by walls of guitar noise and heavy riffing. Newborn, with its pretty acoustic guitars and melodic vocals has every chance of competing with the likes of Coldplay or Badly Drawn Boy in the indie rock fraternity, while Presuming Ed [Rest Easy] changes tack again and is a twisted gospel song, like Spiritualized with a bad hangover, very dark but somehow optimistic. Album closer, Scattered Black And Whites, is full of acoustic guitars, pianos and soulful vocals about childhood memories.

Asleep In The Back is an album that deserves and rewards repeated listenings, discovering new things each time you hear it is part of its charms. While a lot of bands are doing this sort of slowed down rock thing at the moment, Embrace, Coldplay, Turin Brakes etc. Elbow are a band who are taking it to the next level and adding originality and creativity into the mix, and have created a fantastic debut album.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:14 PM   #24
Elvis' Naughty Angel

ok... this is getting really hard.

Maybe I'll buy Rattle & Hum on DVD. lol I can't decide!! My curiosity is leaning me towards Elliott Smith. It's funny that you all are recommending Doves... as that was sort of last on my list, but perhaps I should be buying that today. I am pretty confident that I will like Elbow, as I have already heard the songs "Powder Blue" and "No One". I love that haunting 'slowed down rock' as the review described. Hmmm....
April- yes, Gavin, Gavin, Gavin, Gavin... but I do already have a Gavin album. I will indeed purchase "Adam'N'Eve" eventually, but me thinks not today.
Remy Zero... don't know enough yet to take the plunge so....

At 10:13am, it stands at Elliott, Elbow, Doves. And yes, in that order.

I just don't know!!! I need more help!!
Old 07-25-2002, 01:28 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

ok, go with what you are sure about first. You will feel comfortable buying Doves would you not?

But I strongly recommend that you get either Elliot Smith XO or Elliott Smith Either/Or sometime soon!!!

Either/Or is a beautiful album!!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:32 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:48 AM

Sula, I think you convinced me to go out and buy the Doves album!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:42 PM   #27
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of all those listed, I've only heard Elbow.. and it's definately quite smashing.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:48 AM
I have both the Doves and Elliot Smith albums. It is indeed a tough decision. I agree with Sula and the others from the Doves camp, it is a very good album. But I also agree with Basstrap about the brilliance of Elliot Smith. Although bass, I would also recommend Figure 8, perhaps even over XO but they are both excellent.

Angel, you should keep in mind that Elliot Smith is a legendary figure here in the Pacific Northwest. He is originally from Portland although he is currently living in LA and he has achieved near cult-status in our region. Worth getting to know for that reason alone.

So much good music, so little money. *sigh*
Old 07-29-2002, 09:47 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So what was your decision? *is quite curious*

Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 AM   #30
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
So what was your decision? *is quite curious*
LMAO girl. I was actually thinking this morning, "Where did sulaweisigirl go?" haha

Ok.... Slightly ashamed to admit this... but... I didn't buy any of them!!! I ran out of money. See, I thought I had an extra $20, but as it turned out, after I bought a few things that I needed.... I didn't have the extra money afterall. However, I get paid this Thursday and plan to buy either Doves or Elliott Smith or even Elbow. I will force the record store to let me listen to them, and then, when I make my purchase... I will tell you all!! lol

Thx again for all your recommendations. The interference community has been very pivotal in my experiencing new music.