Icons of American Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZeroDude said:
Irving Berlin
Add Gershwin, Bernstein, Copland, and a bunch others.

And Billie Holiday and Nina Simone.

Basically, all of the important blues, jazz, country, and folk guys, plus all of the early rock-and-rollers (anyone mention Carl Perkins yet?), plus some of the most important 20th century classical composers. Man, we're awesome.

Last edited:
here's my take, apologies if I've forgotten someone...I didnt read the other pages:reject:

Elvis Presley
Brian Wilson
Bob Dylan
John Lee Hooker
Curtis Mayfield
Johnny Cash
Roy Orbison
Hank Williams
Jerry Lee Lewis
Lou Reed
Jim Morrison
Bruce Springsteen
Janis Joplin
John Coltrane
Woody Guthrie
Billie Holliday
Miles Davis
Jimi Hendrix
Ray Charles
John Prine
Marvin Gaye
Billy Joel
BB King
Willie Nelson
Chuck Berry
John Fogetry
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Santana
Ramones
Stevie Wonder
and perhaps the following will become 'iconic' too?
:huh:
- - - - -
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rage Against the Machine
Pearl Jam
Public Enemy
Sublime
Beck
Nirvana
NWA
Eminem

elevation2u said:
and perhaps the following will become 'iconic' too?
:huh:
- - - - -
REM

Nirvana

REM have already achieved Iconic status IMO.

As for Nirvana, I don't think they're gonna become iconic in the future if they haven't already.

well they seem bloody iconic to me...and I dont even like the band, to me the majority of the last bands on the list seem like they will be carried on simply cause they have affected music culture ... and music that was big when I was growing up....meh...well when I was in grammar school to be exact and that stuff is still around and big...well maybe thats just southern CA.

Oh yeah, I guess I should put Tupac on there, I still see his face everywhere!:huh:

jhatf040519g5580un.jpg

ray charles belongs on that list, along with buddy holly, guthrie, the doors, simon and garfunkel, and hendrix

dano said:
I have for a while wanted to create a playlist that revolved around essential American artists. I guess my desire is partly inspired by the whole Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum know your roots story. I was just curious who you guys would deem the absolute top of the class American artists. I don't know if it should be limited to "roots" music or if the list can include more current artists like Springsteen, REM, Pearl Jam, etc... Let me know what you think.

I'll start the list with some really easy ones:
1. Elvis Presley
2. Bob Dylan
3. Frank Sinatra
4. Johnny Cash
5. Muddy Waters
I
Sinatra - Obviously
Elvis - He did it all first, the ad campaign doesn't lie
Dylan - The voice of America
The Beach Boys - The closest we ever got to The Beatles, pinnacle of American pop in the 60s
Neil Young - Amazing artist

some good answers ...but goin way,way back........

Robert Johnson

One of the only certain things about Robert Johnson's career and music was his lasting effect on our music and culture today. Although not a household name himself, some of those who aspired to be like him are. Rock Legends Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), Eric Clapton (Cream), The Rolling Stones, and Elvis Presley, were all inspired by the works of Robert Johnson. And their music has had great impacts on Pop, Rock, Country, Blues, and Heavy Metal.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Add Gershwin, Bernstein, Copland, and a bunch others.

And Billie Holiday and Nina Simone.

Basically, all of the important blues, jazz, country, and folk guys, plus all of the early rock-and-rollers (anyone mention Carl Perkins yet?), plus some of the most important 20th century classical composers. Man, we're awesome.

Amen.

Lancemc said:
Let me add two of my all-time favorite artists who are both underappreciated but are both still icons in American music culture.

1. Elvis Costello

2. David Byrne

As noted before, Costello is not American. But, IIRC, neither is David Byrne (I believe he's originally Scottish)!

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
:)

I figured if Neil and Gordon can fit in there, the boys can go too.

fuck it... I'll throw in the Hip as well.

But as noted before, Neil and Gordon can't fit in here. And neither can the Hip. :wink:

Low, The Replacements, DEVO, R.E.M., Talking Heads, Hank Williams, Sonic Youth, The Beach Boys, Babes in Toyland, Pixies, Primus, Pearl Jam, Flipper, Superchunk, Foo Fighters, Ween, N.W.A., Stevie Wonder, Parliament Funkadelic, Michael Jackson, Simon & Garfunkel, The Velvet Underground

There are really too many to name.

Zootlesque said:
I'll just answer with my favorite American bands and musicians!

REM
Pearl Jam
Tom Petty
Tori Amos
Metallica (yes.. heavy metal icon!)
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Bruce Springsteen
Aerosmith (to an extent)
The Eagles
The Doors

:rockon: