Ice Hockey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Why is it that referee's will not break up a fight between players? I was watching espn (I think it was anyway) before and the refs were just standing around, waiting for this fist fight to finish before the game could go on.

Why?

i'm not a big fan of hocky fights because i think it slows down the game and really just doesnt interest me at all

there's the theory that if you dont let them do it once in a while, there will be cheap shots galore with the sticks, but if you know Jim Bob is waiting to kick your ass if you step out of line, you're less likely to do something dirty like that... I don't know that I buy into that logic, but it's almost impossible for a couple of refs to see everything going on at once

i guess it's kind of like saying, 'well, let these idiots at the bar have their little fist fight so that it will be a lesson for everyone not to sleep with Steffan's girlfriend

it's a generally accepted component of the game...as wanderer alluded to a chance to settle a score that might otherwise swell into something much bigger without the appropriate outlet.

there is a common perception that the NHL must retain fighting in the game if its popularity is to continue to expand in the southern states...or maybe that's begin, again, to expand in the southern states. or the teams could just play well - like tampa bay or anaheim.

the game is changing though. just 4-5 years ago the top fighters were tie domi or donald brashear. while the fisticuffs are still a portion of these two coveted players games, they have both made significant strides in their skills.

I hadn't heard or considered the idea it was to improve popularity. Its an interesting drawcard I suppose.
So from what you all say, what is wrong with these players? Do they have absolutely no restraint and sense of sportsmanship? I know its a very 'charged' sport...but I just find ot odd that it is about the only one I can think of where fighting is not only not discouraged, but accepted - with no penalty. Fighting shouldn't be part of the game. The whole point is to get your puck in the net, not deck anyone who gets in your way. When you have so many players in a comparitively small ring(? rink?) its going to be physical.

I don't think anything is *wrong* with the players. It's just always been a part of the sport, because it is so emotional. Hitting is such an integral part of the game, that to me, fighting is just a natural progression from that. You carry a stick (which can be used for all kinds of nasty things) and you hit each other at incredible speeds. The emotions that generates are intense.

And I wouldn't say it's neccessarily their personality. Hockey players are (from my experience) the most sportsmanlike
athletes out there. Off ice, they are laid back and humble. They might fight on the ice, but they aren't a bunch of psychotic goons.

And most people don't realize this, but there's a set of rules that is supposed to go along with fighting, at least with enforcers. No one just *attacks* a player with the gloves off. There's a whole honor code. This is what Scott Parker says, anyway.

I'm probably rambling. I did a research paper on this, but most of it has flown out of my head. :|

Last edited:
wanderer, you ass clown, you werent supposed to sleep with steffan's girlfriend, she's dating steffan.

:down:

Yeah the fights are part of the reason people watch. Plus if you're getting pounded and chopped over and over a fight is bound to happen

Back
Top Bottom