I would NEVER go to this school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/rhall.html

Residence Hall Life at BOB JONES UNIVERSITY

- A student must live in one of the University residence halls unless he is living with parents or other close relatives (approved by the Dean of Men's or Dean of Women's office), is 23 years old or older, is married and over the age of 20, or is a graduate student.

- Freshmen may request a roommate. Other students are allowed one request for a friend to be in their prayer group, on their hall, or in their residence hall, but not in their room.

- For the sake of accountability, students must "check out" when they leave the campus. Students gradually acquire more freedom in this area as they become upperclassmen.

- Each night all students meet for prayer, either as a room or together with several other rooms.

- Students are required to be in their own rooms and quiet at 11 pm. All lights must be out by midnight.

- Students are required to keep their rooms clean and neat. Rooms are inspected daily.

- Facilities and furnishings:

x Laundry facilities are provided.
x All rooms are furnished with twin-sized beds, dressers, desks,
closets, cupboards, sink, telephone, and blinds.
x Computer network and high-speed Internet access is
available in each residence hall room.

- An email account is provided for each student. Due to the flood of objectionable content coming through outside email services, students may use only this filtered campus email system.

- All wireless access to the Internet is forbidden since all Internet use must go through the University's filtered access.

What to Bring

- List of what to bring Click here for PDF or Here for HTML

- Students may bring automobiles to campus. However, underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) who are under 21 years old may use their vehicles only to drive home and for extension.

-Cell phones are permitted. Students will be instructed in cell phone etiquette.

What Not to Bring

- Posters of movie and music stars and fashion models are not permitted. The subjects of personal photos should exhibit the modesty and appropriate physical contact we expect from our students.

Music must be compatible with the University's music standards:
New Age, jazz, rock, and country music is not permitted.
Contemporary Christian music is not permitted (e.g., Michael W. Smith, Stephen Curtis Chapman, WOW Worship, and so forth).

- Televisions and DVD/videocassette players are not permitted in the residence halls; computer DVD players may not be used to view movies. :slant:

- You may not possess or play computer and video games rated T, M, or A or having elements of blood and gore, sensual or demonic themes, or featuring suggestive dress, bad language, or rock music.

- Due to space considerations, appliances such as mini-refrigerators and microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms. A refrigerator for medical-related needs and microwaves are provided in each residence hall.

- Residence hall students may not watch videos above a G rating when visiting homes in town and may not attend movie theaters.

- All weapons must be turned in for storage. Trigger locks are required for pistols. Fireworks are not permitted on campus.

:ohmy: :confused: :eyebrow: :huh:

What does this school allow then? This is like high school for adults!

Last edited:
Re: Re: I would NEVER go to this school

the music, movies and posters stuff is hilarious.

how about this:

Dress Code for Men

General Dress
couple

* Hair must be cut in a traditional, conservative style–not shaved, spiked, tangled, or shelved. It may not be colored or highlighted.
* Sideburns should not extend past the middle of the ear. Men are expected to remain clean-shaven.
* Necklaces, earrings, and bracelets are not permitted.
* Hats may not be worn indoors except in the gym.
* Men are not permitted to get tattoos or wear body piercings.

Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to the name of Christ and an unusual display of wickedness in their promotions. In protest, we will not allow articles displaying their logos to be worn, carried, or displayed (even if covered or masked in some way).

Morning Dress–dress shirt (no denim/chambray) with tie, dress or neat casual pants (no jeans, cargo, carpenter, or sloppy pants), dress or leather casual shoes; sweaters should show shirt collar and tie knot (no sweatshirts).

Afternoon Dress–collared shirt (no crew necks), neat casual pants, dress or casual shoes (no slides or sandals), socks above the ankle, sweatshirts or sweaters.

Sunday Dress–coat, tie, and dress shirt; dress shoes; dress or dressier casual pants.

Recreation and Work Dress–jeans, t-shirts, shorts at athletic facilities (not as spectators at sports events), sleeveless athletic shirts (indoor activities only), socks required (including at work).
Dress Code for Women

Classroom/general dress consists of a dress or top and skirt; however, pants may be worn for some recreational activities. Shorts may never be worn outside the residence halls and fitness center.

Tops

* Tops must be long enough that the midriff is never exposed.
* Sleeves are required. (Sleeveless tops and dresses may be worn with a blouse, jacket, or sweater.)
* Necklines may come no lower than four fingers below the collarbone.

Skirts

* Hemlines and slits or other openings should never come higher than the bottom of the knee.
* Denim skirts may be worn for casual dress (not to class or other professional-type events).

Pants

* Loose-fitting pants may be worn between women's residence halls, for athletic events, and to homes in the area.
* Loose-fitting jeans may be worn between women's residence halls and when participating in activities where the durability of the fabric is important, such as skiing and ice-skating.
* Low-riders are not permitted.

Ease

* All dresses, skirts, pants, and shirts must be loose-fitting, having a minimum of three inches of ease at bust and hips.
* An informal way to measure ease is to stand up straight and pinch the loose fabric on both sides of the hips or at the bust line. Without stretching the fabric, there should be at least a 3/4-inch fold of fabric on both sides.

Other

* Sheer clothing may be worn only when the garment underneath conforms to normal dress regulations.
* Hose must be worn for all professional-type activities including class, church, and recitals.
* Combat boots, hiking boots, or shoes that give this appearance are not permitted.
* Hairstyles should be neat, orderly, and feminine. Avoid cutting-edge fads and cuts so short that they take on a masculine look.
* Students are not permitted to get tattoos. Excessive makeup is not permitted. Earrings may be worn only in the lobe of the ear (maximum of two matched sets). All other types of body piercings are prohibited.

Please note the statement concerning Abercrombie & Fitch under Men's General Dress.

"Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to the name of Christ and an unusual display of wickedness in their promotions."

i need to save that quote.

Actually the dress code is pretty slack compared to the hellhole school I attended.

TWO matched sets of earings! What decadence! Jeans! Makeup!

Wheres the requirement to wear maroon knickers? And hats worn parallel to the ground? I bet they don't have lesson on How To Cross Your Legs Like A Young Lady Without Flashing The Aforesaid Maroon Knickers. :slant:

That school sounds like hell, although I'd like to pay it's staff a visit and give them a good ear bashing

So I guess the t-shirt (fitted tee btw :ohmy: ) I'm wearing now which is bright yellow and says (with accompanying cartoon of bulldog) "Nice Puppies" is not suitable?

Damn.
:angry:

One of my friends is at a place like this. In fact, worse than that, she travelled from Britiain to get to one of these concentration camps, sorry, christian universities.

Hers includes the rules:
- You may not have sex, unless married.
- Your room may not be locked at any time when you are in, you must be visible to any memeber of staff entering within 2 seconds of entry.
- You can get kicked out of the school for using drugs of any kind, including prozac, paracetemol, asprin etc (Christian Science)
- Many more

Also amuses me that, despite all those rules, its still perfectly fine to own a firearm whilst there

Bob Jones needs to get a life.

How, exactly do these rules help people to get educated?

Guns are okay but the split in your skirt must not be above the knee- oh, please.....

Bob Jones University can bite me.

President Bush campaigned there in 2000; a school with a history of racism and anti-Catholic sentiment.

Melon

to be serious for a second... this is a college, the rules are clearly spelled out to you before you chose to attend, and if you do attend, it is by your own choice... so frankly, i have no problem with these rules whatsoever... it would be a cold day in hell before i'd ever attend such a place, and/or allow my unconceived children to attend such a place... but if that's your style, eh... go nuts.

gonna be tough without that michael w. smith box set though... i know that's what got me through college. that and crack.

I agree with Headache.

My best friend is Mormon and goes to BYU, and I know they have strict rules too. Not sure how similar; now I am curious and will check.

To each his own.

It sounds like some sort of prison. My idea of education is to open minds and teach young people to think and problem solve. I dont' see how that can be accomplished in that kind of submissive atmosphere. Do they get gov. funding? I would like to know.

Well, I can't imagine living like that... but as it's a University, I'm assuming that nobody is forced to go there, and if it's their own choice to live that way, then who am I to tell them any different?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to be serious for a second... this is a college, the rules are clearly spelled out to you before you chose to attend, and if you do attend, it is by your own choice... so frankly, i have no problem with these rules whatsoever... it would be a cold day in hell before i'd ever attend such a place, and/or allow my unconceived children to attend such a place... but if that's your style, eh... go nuts.

gonna be tough without that michael w. smith box set though... i know that's what got me through college. that and crack.

problem is, did your parent really have no influence over the sort of place you went to college? Mine personally didn't do much, and I don't think the majority would, but there are definitely some who still think they know what's best for their kids at any age.

Well that's...odd. :huh:

I wouldn't go to a university like that for all the money in the world.

I had a friend who went to this place for a couple years. His parents basically forced him to (by refusing to help pay his costs at any other school, threatening to disinherit him if he went to one of those Sodom-and-Gomorrah state universities, etc.). In the end he said Screw You and went to Sodom-and-Gomorrah anyway.

When he was there, they didn't even allow dating (mixed-sex groups were OK)--so, sounds like if anything, they've become a bit more lax.

Other religious colleges DO have rules like this, though I don't know of any others this hardcore. Notre Dame, for example, has a no-sex rule too, and you can be expelled for violating it, though from what I've heard they are pretty selective about enforcement.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
how come no one's caught on to the school's initials yet...

BJU... bahhhh hahahahaha... BJ... that's funny. haha i'm laughing.

I was thinking the same thing

your_future.jpg

Seriously ... their website address is http://www.bju.edu/

Apparently the enrollment is 5,000 students.

Going to a place like that would be like my own personal hell.

But hey, I guess crazy people have to have a place to go to school too:wink:

Re: Re: Re: I would NEVER go to this school

IWasBored said:
the music, movies and posters stuff is hilarious.

how about this:

Dress Code for Men

General Dress
couple

* Hair must be cut in a traditional, conservative style–not shaved, spiked, tangled, or shelved. It may not be colored or highlighted.
* Sideburns should not extend past the middle of the ear. Men are expected to remain clean-shaven.
* Necklaces, earrings, and bracelets are not permitted.
* Hats may not be worn indoors except in the gym.
* Men are not permitted to get tattoos or wear body piercings.

Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to the name of Christ and an unusual display of wickedness in their promotions. In protest, we will not allow articles displaying their logos to be worn, carried, or displayed (even if covered or masked in some way).

Morning Dress–dress shirt (no denim/chambray) with tie, dress or neat casual pants (no jeans, cargo, carpenter, or sloppy pants), dress or leather casual shoes; sweaters should show shirt collar and tie knot (no sweatshirts).

Afternoon Dress–collared shirt (no crew necks), neat casual pants, dress or casual shoes (no slides or sandals), socks above the ankle, sweatshirts or sweaters.

Sunday Dress–coat, tie, and dress shirt; dress shoes; dress or dressier casual pants.

Recreation and Work Dress–jeans, t-shirts, shorts at athletic facilities (not as spectators at sports events), sleeveless athletic shirts (indoor activities only), socks required (including at work).
Dress Code for Women

Classroom/general dress consists of a dress or top and skirt; however, pants may be worn for some recreational activities. Shorts may never be worn outside the residence halls and fitness center.

Tops

* Tops must be long enough that the midriff is never exposed.
* Sleeves are required. (Sleeveless tops and dresses may be worn with a blouse, jacket, or sweater.)
* Necklines may come no lower than four fingers below the collarbone.

Skirts

* Hemlines and slits or other openings should never come higher than the bottom of the knee.
* Denim skirts may be worn for casual dress (not to class or other professional-type events).

Pants

* Loose-fitting pants may be worn between women's residence halls, for athletic events, and to homes in the area.
* Loose-fitting jeans may be worn between women's residence halls and when participating in activities where the durability of the fabric is important, such as skiing and ice-skating.
* Low-riders are not permitted.

Ease

* All dresses, skirts, pants, and shirts must be loose-fitting, having a minimum of three inches of ease at bust and hips.
* An informal way to measure ease is to stand up straight and pinch the loose fabric on both sides of the hips or at the bust line. Without stretching the fabric, there should be at least a 3/4-inch fold of fabric on both sides.

Other

* Sheer clothing may be worn only when the garment underneath conforms to normal dress regulations.
* Hose must be worn for all professional-type activities including class, church, and recitals.
* Combat boots, hiking boots, or shoes that give this appearance are not permitted.
* Hairstyles should be neat, orderly, and feminine. Avoid cutting-edge fads and cuts so short that they take on a masculine look.
* Students are not permitted to get tattoos. Excessive makeup is not permitted. Earrings may be worn only in the lobe of the ear (maximum of two matched sets). All other types of body piercings are prohibited.

Please note the statement concerning Abercrombie & Fitch under Men's General Dress.

Why don't they just tell the truth?

Brown shirts, preferred

My brother went to school in the same town as this school, Greenville, South Carolina. He still has bitter memories about the sheer hypocrisy of the place, the racism in particular. Needless to say I take great offense at their anti-Catholicism. I'm sorry, I have no respect for people this hypocritical.

ZeroDude said:
Not being able to lock your room is bull imho

sorry, apologies, i was going by a bad two year old memory. I was intrigued a bit too, so I gave my contact a ring (partially so I could get the uni's name). The second part is true, but the rooms do have locks. However, the 'wardens' are allowed free reign and have master keys, and apparently have been known to use them.

"Women’s dorms or sleeping halls in coed dorms are locked in the evening and reopened in the morning. Women must check out keys and may come and go at their own discretion."

Principia College, Illinois anyone?

http://www.prin.edu/users/els/departments/stulife/pledge_-_code_of_conduct.htm

http://www.prin.edu/users/els/departments/stulife/polilcies,_rules,_&_procedures_for_students.htm

Back
Top Bottom