I would NEVER go to this school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
Bob Jones University can bite me.

President Bush campaigned there in 2000; a school with a history of racism and anti-Catholic sentiment.

Melon

True, W was losing the primaries to McCain

he went to BJU gave a speech and jumped in the arms of Bob Jones. (actually they hugged)

that was the GOP primary turning point from McCain to Bush

without Bush embracing a racist he would not be president

I worked with a girl who had attended Liberty University (Jerry Fawell's school). When I found out that little fact, I though "Aha! That explains a lot..." :huh:

I can't imagine any young person today who would willingly go somewhere like this. I don't care how "moral" you are, just the idea that they have that much control over your private conduct is terrifying. Their parents must have pressured them to go. Nice parents. :|

[ Notre Dame, for example, has a no-sex rule too, and you can be expelled for violating it, though from what I've heard they are pretty selective about enforcement.

What?! That's ridiculous! Then again, I guess that if people realise that when they choose to go to that institution, then it's fair enough. Seems daft though!

Last edited:
My undergraduate university (tiny Southern Baptist liberal arts university in rural Kentucky) had a lot of similar rules. :| We could have posters, CDs, TVs, etc., but we had random room checks all the time and they were pretty strict about things like posters with drug references, scantily clad people, etc. Residence halls for men and women were on opposites sides of the campus and you had to have a breathalyzer test if you wanted to get back into the dorms after 11pm.

sallycinnamon78 said:
What?! That's ridiculous! Then again, I guess that if people realise that when they choose to go to that institution, then it's fair enough. Seems daft though!

I don't get it, if people choose to go there because they like the lifestyle, then why would they have to need it regulated? My guess is that the people who choose to attend BJU (hehehe, BJ...) aren't tollerant to people with other lifestyles and want to surround themselves with 'their own kind'.

Last edited:
When you take into account that this is the same school that banned interracial dating into the 21st century, the fact that you aren't allowed to watch PG-rated movies really seems trivial by comparison.

make sure you dont bring your Cd's but feel free to bring your handgun? :huh:

that's just insane!

interesting fact there knox, i couldnt agree more. the petty rules may be silly and laughable, but its the underlying reasoning and tension behind them thats really concerning.

RA-D said:

problem is, did your parent really have no influence over the sort of place you went to college? Mine personally didn't do much, and I don't think the majority would, but there are definitely some who still think they know what's best for their kids at any age.

no... but again, this is college... yes, your parents my try to influence you to go somewhere, but you are 18... you are emancipated... you have the choice not to go there if you don't want to. your parents can't force you to do anything at that point. it's a personal choice.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
no... but again, this is college... yes, your parents my try to influence you to go somewhere, but you are 18... you are emancipated... you have the choice not to go there if you don't want to. your parents can't force you to do anything at that point. it's a personal choice.

The people who go to this school are culturally preconditioned to maintain a relationship with their parents similar to that the rest of us experienced throughout childhood. That, and if your parents are paying your way, you don't get as much say in where you go.

yolland said:

Other religious colleges DO have rules like this, though I don't know of any others this hardcore. Notre Dame, for example, has a no-sex rule too, and you can be expelled for violating it, though from what I've heard they are pretty selective about enforcement.

I have three friends that go to Notre Dame and two that go to Loyola Marymount and while they do have strict rules about certain behaviors (i.e. sex, drugs, etc.) they also encourage independent scholarship for their students. One of my friends who graduates from Notre Dame next year, was allowed by the school to establish the first feminist club on campus. For a Catholic university, we both thought that was pretty cool. Granted, there are things related to sex that she can't discuss in depth if the meetings are held on campus, but the meetings aren't always held on campus. :wink:

So glad I go to a satanic, sex charged, kegger party filled Ohio state school. :D

Toga! Toga!

meegannie said:
My undergraduate university (tiny Southern Baptist liberal arts university in rural Kentucky) had a lot of similar rules. :| We could have posters, CDs, TVs, etc., but we had random room checks all the time and they were pretty strict about things like posters with drug references, scantily clad people, etc. Residence halls for men and women were on opposites sides of the campus and you had to have a breathalyzer test if you wanted to get back into the dorms after 11pm.

:ohmy: I went to Hull University here in the UK.. we didn't have any rules that scary. Good grief.

knox said:
...this is the same school that banned interracial dating into the 21st century...

Oh my GOD. I've heard it all now. That is just completely disgusting. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Someone in my family actually wanted me to go to a school with similar rules. They pretty much wouldn't get off my back about it until I agreed to go for a day, take a campus tour etc, and then decide.

The tour guide had me sit in on a class and it was a home ec class (all girls). I think they were making french toast that day. :| But the best part was when the guide noticed the little peace sign earrings I was wearing. She then told me that they'd had "someone like me" at the school last year and they "done run 'em off". :der:

i would never subject myself to this school which is nothing better than a concentration camp to me.

I gotta see posters of u2, see women kiss each other for fun, party like rock stars, and lock my door whenever i want, its natural and human. BJU (haha) is not a natural environment!

Back
Top Bottom