I went to Turkey...............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
And I'm back to talk about it! I've got a suitcase full of souvenirs. I got a beautiful Turkish art book at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and booklets from each place we stopped at. I'm going to be posting my pix on the Internet as soon as someone sends me his CD. I didn't take a camera, I made a deal with someone to send me the pix because I have a nasty habit of misplacing things and I didn't want to run the risk of misplacing an expensive camera. In some hotels I misplaced my key three and four times. We saw a caravanserai, one of a bunch of medieval inns built on the SilK Road. We saw the ruins at Ephesus, saw an emotional memorial commemorating the Gallipoli campaign in 1915, saw beautiful mosques.........those mosques were amazing! I love Turkish mosques. We saw the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, along with Ayasofia..........now I have to unpack. Damn.

Cool sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Now you can change "dreaming of Istanbul" To I lived Istanbul

Can't wait to see the pictures. Why Turkey? Was due to a project you had in World History and fell in love with Turkey?

I just picked a template for a travel photo album site on Tripod. Now I have to wait for the guy to send me the CD with the pix on them, then I have to sort through them and label them......can you say "never a dull moment"? It all started three years ago, when my historical re-enactment group was putting on a Middle Eastern themed event. They asked me to do a class on some academic topic. I chose the Turks, and I was fascinated. It turned into an obsession. I wanted to see caravanserais, whirling dervishes, the mosques, the place is a historian and artist's paradise. I decided I had to go and see all of this stuff. Now I'm going through my loot, postcards and books from the various places we settled. I spent too much money on this stuff, but that's no surprise, I knew I was going to do that.

WOW :ohmy: It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Can't wait to see some pics. Welcome back

namkcuR said:
You were there when Galatasaray won the Turkish league championship weren't you?

Yes! I didn't know anything about Turkish sports when I went but my tour guide was a fan of Galateseray, and we ended up doing the cheer on the bus. It was a hoot.

Welcome back :wave:

I'm glad you really had a good time!! :)

Turkey really sounds like a nice country to go, I always thought about going there once... Maybe I will soon! :)

Re: Re: I went to Turkey...............

Angela Harlem said:

The ANZAC memorial.
:sad:

Glad you had a brilliant time, verte!!
:) :up:

Yeah, fifteen of the twenty-four people on my tour were Australian, and three were from New Zealand. While we were driving from one park to the other at Gallipoli our guide put on "Waltzing Matilda". The whole thing really meant alot to them. We saw grave after grave giving the ages of the dead. Most were in their twenties, a few as young as 17, alot of 19-year-olds..........incredibly sad.

One hilarious thing happened my last night in Turkey. I was eating at the hotel restaurant, and I was outdoors with a beautiful view of the Bosphorus. There was a mosque not far away. Between the mosque and the hotel some PA system was blasting rock music. One song they played was "Money for Nothing". That was a hoot.

Re: Re: Re: I went to Turkey...............

verte76 said:

Yeah, fifteen of the twenty-four people on my tour were Australian, and three were from New Zealand. While we were driving from one park to the other at Gallipoli our guide put on "Waltzing Matilda". The whole thing really meant alot to them. We saw grave after grave giving the ages of the dead. Most were in their twenties, a few as young as 17, alot of 19-year-olds..........incredibly sad.

Sounds incredible, verte. I'd love to go to Turkey one day. Not sure if I'd stay composed enough for an ANZAC day, but the sheer history, beauty, culture, and fun you can have in one country....:slant:

cant wait to see your pictures!

The thing I liked the most about Turkey was the people. They are very friendly and hospitable. My favorite buildings were the mosques. They're beautiful. I'm going to have three or four paintings just from the mosques.

Back
Top Bottom