I want your opinion on this - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:29 AM
I want your opinion on this

I just wanted know what you all think of this. I heard about it on the way to work on like 3 different radio stations and it seems to be a big thing. No pun intended seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/NEWS/...ers/index.html

Old 06-20-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 12:29 PM

Ouch!! That's a tough one..... I feel bad for larger people who will be out so much money know, but on the same hand why should the airline be losing money from seats that they can't sell!!!!

I am very interested to know what everyone else thinks of this....

Old 06-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #3
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Ouch! and I just posted a silly 'I need to lose 5lbs' thread. I feel bad for very overweight people. They get judged, and now they are being alienated by the airlines.
I imagine though, the people in question must be extremely obese people... I dunno, I can totally see the airlines point of view, yet at the same time... that's pretty harsh.

Tough call.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 11:29 AM
I think it is horrible

yes, I can understand the airlines view, but making someone buy an extra ticket because they are overweight is embarassing and insulting!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Normal

I read this earlier.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Normal

I heard about this on CNN yesterday morning. I've got mixed feelings on this one.

I agree with spinninghead that while I feel bad for the people who have to go through this, I can see how the airlines have to do something if they are losing $ if someone is taking up two seats. I really wasn't shocked when I hard about the charges though.

Look at it this way, and I'm not saying this to be mean or anything...but even larger size clothes usually cost more than regular size clothes, should larger size people have to pay more for their clothes? Most things that come in larger sizes do cost more, not just clothes.

Perhaps it's just a matter of the airline's approach to this matter could have been different, I dunno.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:34 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:29 PM

To me it seems like it is the logical thing to do. If you need two seats (for whatever the reason is), then you'd have to pay for them.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by ABEL

Look at it this way, and I'm not saying this to be mean or anything...but even larger size clothes usually cost more than regular size clothes, should larger size people have to pay more for their clothes?
Well... more fabric is involved.

I dunno. It's such a hard subject. I dont want to say something that will make me sound incompassionate, because I am so not like that, but how does one get to be so large? Now this is coming from someone who has struggled with her weight her whole life. I have never been what one can say large, or even overweight really, but I have to be really careful as I have the ability to gain easily. However, because I am aware, I can catch it before it gets out of control. I feel bad for people who's weight has gotten out of control because as I said earlier, they get judged by others, but I just find it hard to understand how one gets to be so large? And I am not talking about 30-40 lbs here, I am talking obesity. The kind of people that are the subject of that article.
I feel sad for their health.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:07 PM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:29 AM

Yeah I'd have to agree with Dr. Teeth on that one. Sure its embarrassing and probly makes them feel bad but they were not born overweight. And I dont think they shouldnt get a free seat because of it.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks for all the good points of view. I can see both side to. I keep going back and forth on the fence about what I think. I think that the seats are two small regardless of this subject. I fit into a seat perfectly fine with room to spare and I am girl. I feel bad for the guys who are like 6' 3" and have no leg room. Or guys who are built like body builders. I think that are some larger people who have do have real medical problems though that should not be punished for their illness. My mom is a good example. She has a thyroid condition. She does not have any problems though fitting into a airline seat, so it is not really an issue for her. Then there is my other side. The side that had to ride on a 12 plane ride next to someone that was considerably larger and the uncomfort I had to endure. I had like half my seat and that person had the other half plus their own. Then there is the thought "well how do you think they felt being all uncomfortable in their seat" I would think "why should I be punished because of them." I think if the seats were just larger then this would not be a problem, BUT we all know this is not going to happen anytime in the near future. Then there is the issue of how big would you make the seats. There is always going to be someone out there to big for the seat. You can see how I am going back and forth on this. I think I would have been good if I had taken a debate class in high school. I could argue both points about topics, even ones I don't agree with. I really just don't know about this one.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:26 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Yeah I'd have to agree with Dr. Teeth on that one. Sure its embarrassing and probly makes them feel bad but they were not born overweight. And I dont think they shouldnt get a free seat because of it.
And when you are got overweight from using medication ? Ore you had parents that not take care for a healty lifestile. I mean, if you got fatcells in your youth they will always be there ( they do not disapeare ) so you always have the chance to grow fat. And people with mental eating disorder ?

Is it still going bad with the American air industry ? This is a nice way to sell some extra seats.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #12
Refugee

Another problem with this issue is where to draw the line.... Are overweight people going to have to start buying two tickets at the movie theatre, and paying two admission prices at an amusment parK???
Old 06-20-2002, 02:38 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Whether you're skinny or not, airplane seats are just too damn small. Especially on Southwest ... or as I call them Southworst. I have flown with them once in my life and never again. Yes, they're cheap, but I felt like I the passengers were cattle being herded onto the plane. The flight attendants were rude and cranky.

I am not sure if I agree with them paying for another full fare ... that seems to be somewhat discriminatory. Maybe airlines are trying to recoup losses in the wake of Sept. 11. four flights I have been on since Sept. 11, they planes have not been full at all ... hopefully other airlines will not follow this trend.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #14
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 04:29 PM

A lot of people who are in their mind thinking 'That's only fair for them to pay for what they use'.. won't say it because then they'll feel bad about themselves, But it is only fair.. Otherwise.. If you don't want to pay for another seat.. Then Don't fly.

Sure people have a liberty to be fat, skinny, smoke, or do whatever the hell they want, but when other people have to take up on their burden as in this airline issue in regards to seats, Then the individual who is fat in this case must take their consequences in stride.

I mean, If we're going to be sensitive.. don't tall girls feel 'discriminated against' due to all the 'petite' fashions out there and very few 'tall styles' (Firsthand account of my mother shopping).. Don't short kids feel 'discriminated against' if they're under that line to ride a roller coaster ( A line which in my youth prevented me from getting on Thunder Mountain.. or maybe it was the Cowboy enforcing that line.. i mean.. geezus.. that guy has a pistol.. two of em.) Is that Fair?.. I'll quote someone from a racism post a while back .. 'Get Over It'.. I'd prefer 'Deal with It'

L.Unplugged
Old 06-20-2002, 03:31 PM   #15
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Ok, so my boss had a good point--> they could fly first class. The seats are bigger up there, and it would probably be cheaper in the long run then buying two economy seats. But then, what do I know? I am just a peasant and only fly first class when I get Bumped.
She also suggested that they have a row or a small section where there were a few larger seats for obese people, but then there is the question of segregation.

It really is a tough call and a no win situation. Quite an interesting discussion.