I want an Irish Music Festival.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

violetfly

The Fly
So U2 isn't the only Irish music act I love. All you U2 fans in Ireland should be so happy that you have such amazing bands so close to home. Damien Rice, The Devlins, The Frames, HHF - if only they could all tour together. The Irish Music Festival. It can be part of the Vertigo tour!

A girl can dream. But really the devs thing could work, they're touring the US around the same time as U2. Just a thought.

I used to love the Cranberries when they existed...lol Saw them live, great show.

I met an Irish singer Liam O'Riordan in Ireland on my honeymoon and he sang to my husband and I. I guess he's pretty well known in Cork. What a great guy and a class act - he gave me one of his CDs while there, and I have one that I'm anxiously awaiting in the mail.

most of my favorite "irish" or irish-tinged punk bands are american.

Maybe I should get that one Cranberries CD I really enjoyed that a friend of mine lent me in highschool. Every now and then I feel compelled to listen to songs from it again.

What bands are they IWasBored?

I could go for a irish band reunion tour with Something Happens, an Emotional fish and Cactus world news :drool:

violetfly said:
Maybe I should get that one Cranberries CD I really enjoyed that a friend of mine lent me in highschool. Every now and then I feel compelled to listen to songs from it again.

What bands are they IWasBored?

mostly not very big popular bands. the most popular lean towards stuff like gaelic storm or the dropkick murphys, flogging molly, that sort of thing.

come on, IWB, don't take us all for morons, we've heard of the stuff you like.

my favorite Irish-y band is The Tossers, and they're Irish Americans from Chicago. I think "Everything's Bad" is up there with the most beautiful songs ever written, and "Dancin' Shoes" is my favorite song to move to.

Also, The Pogues of course, they started it all. I occasionally like Black47, but those times are few and far between. Obviously, the DKM. I don't really care for Flogging Molly all that much, but the story that Tony Duggins told me about how the Flogging Molly boys locked Tony & Aaron in the back of a UHaul is fucking hilarious. There's a band called Blood or Whiskey which is pretty good, and ditto the Filthy Thieving Bastards. If people are looking to get into Irish-y music, there's a comp called "Shite 'N' Onions" which has some good stuff on it. Also check out the Real Mackenzies, they're Scottish but it's all Celtic....

Stiff Little Fingers still kick ass in their old age. The Undertones were awesome back in the day. I also dig Irish traditional music, like the Chieftains, the Dubliners, Kevin Burke (fiddle), Dolores Keane, Lunasa, etc etc.

So yeah....and Irish music festival. big thumbs up.

tennispunk said:
come on, IWB, don't take us all for morons, we've heard of the stuff you like.

my favorite Irish-y band is The Tossers, and they're Irish Americans from Chicago. I think "Everything's Bad" is up there with the most beautiful songs ever written, and "Dancin' Shoes" is my favorite song to move to.

Also, The Pogues of course, they started it all. I occasionally like Black47, but those times are few and far between. Obviously, the DKM. I don't really care for Flogging Molly all that much, but the story that Tony Duggins told me about how the Flogging Molly boys locked Tony & Aaron in the back of a UHaul is fucking hilarious. There's a band called Blood or Whiskey which is pretty good, and ditto the Filthy Thieving Bastards. If people are looking to get into Irish-y music, there's a comp called "Shite 'N' Onions" which has some good stuff on it. Also check out the Real Mackenzies, they're Scottish but it's all Celtic....

Stiff Little Fingers still kick ass in their old age. The Undertones were awesome back in the day. I also dig Irish traditional music, like the Chieftains, the Dubliners, Kevin Burke (fiddle), Dolores Keane, Lunasa, etc etc.

So yeah....and Irish music festival. big thumbs up.

you have. you, UL, yertle, mofo, and a handful of others. but i get the impression that a lot of people don't. either that or they don't give a shit. and i'm still sick and tired of typing out shit when i do feel like deluding myself into thinking people care.

speaking of this, though, since you're out in chicago and all, would it be safe to assume you're familiar with flatfoot 56 and the sharky doyles?

(i'm not necessarily posting these links for your benefit only, i'm not trying to insult your knowledge of a scene right outside your back door, especially since i live in a different time zone. i'm posting them cos everyone else in this thread should check em out)

http://www.sharkydoyles.com/

http://www.flatfoot56.com/

and for all the talk about the pogues in the last few days, not mentioning them was a complete and utter brain fart on my part :der: same with SLF :banghead:

i really don't like black 47. they have 2 songs i like, everything else makes me homicidal. they played an irish thing here last march (really poorly put together show, but that's another story), actually in holyoke, the tossers and enter the haggis played as well, and i left after the first song. they were given the headlining slot, and they took the stage at about 11pm...we'd been there since around 2 and the only food on sale was skecthy hotdogs...so it was time to go.

dicey riley, i have no fucking clue where those guys are from, but they're good. i dno't have a link, unfortunatly. if i did, i might know a bit more about them.

and check out the pubcrawlers. they're heading over to the UK currently, i think...they're from maine.

http://www.the-pubcrawlers.com/index2.html

also worth mentioning are the skells.

and i posted a link to greenland whale fisheries' site a while ago that i can try and dig up again, on some songs their singer sounds exactly like shane macgowan. it's scary.

Back
Top Bottom