I understand systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a fun movie about New York tonight. Summer of Sam. A darker perspective, I guess. Ok it was 1977. I think Brisbane is better than New York. It's 'Australia's Most Livable City', didn't you know?

Also, "It's Happening!" The only question, is what?

zonelistener said:
Where I live is not near New Jersey

Sorry to break this to you Zonelistener, but I highly doubt your absence in New Jersey has left any sort of void whatsoever. In fact, i can't see how any of the 49 remaining states and their respective communities could possibly benefit from your stuck-up, pompous attitude. Here's a suggestion: why don't you take the same advice you're so eager to dish out to others--that being GET OVER YOURSELF!!! I don't know what the hell you have against New Jersey or the people who reside there (and frankly, i doubt anyone cares) but your incessant comments about the state merely fall into the realm of banal stereotypes. So, either (A) get a life and stop making comments about a state and its residents who really couldn't give a shit about someone like you, or (B) try tapping into some creative juices when attempting to make derrogatory comments regarding the subject . . if that's at all possible for someone of your caliber (which i highly doubt). Please, it's really getting old.

Sincerely,
Brooke

:sexywink:

I was SOOOOOO waiting for you. :kiss:
It's too bad. If you felt better about the state you lived in, you wouldn't need to post this rant. I spent 16 years of my life in the state. I do know quite a bit about it. Sometimes I feel pride...and a lot of times I loathe it. But you don't care. It is very apparent by this rant you don't care. :sexywink:

The more reasons you guys list, the more I love New York City.

Especially when you list things like trees, sunshine, and fresh water.

What a joke.

You have all proven New York City is the only real place on this planet.

NJ rant...no :sexywinks:

If no one reads or cares...good. I don't have a journal...and don't feel like starting one.

New Jersey has its positives and negatives. I will try to give a sample of why I have a love it/loathe it relationship with the state I was raised in. I have trouble with the attitude I see in a lot of people in NJ that I do not see elsewhere in the country. for example, it was September 17, 2001...the NYC area was still in complete shock...it seemed as if people banded together and checked the attitudes...wrong.

I got a call from my dad. He was attempting to get on I-80 in NJ, returning home from a trip..and he was furious. A woman who had plastered signs like "we will never forget," "Peace on Earth" as well as American flags all over her SUV , had refused to let him merge into traffic. In fact, she followed this up with slamming on her brakes...getting out of her car (on an Interstate) and giving him the finger. Yes, "Peace on Earth."

If I wanted to, I could post and post stories like this...story after story of people who have displayed this "I am more important than the guy standing next to me" attitude. It makes me cringe. Nevermind the accent that makes me what to rip my own ears off.

At the same time, I love New Jersey. I cherish my positive memories. There really is NO place in America you can find better pizza (I miss having a pizza place on every corner that sells pizza by the slice). I love that you can go from super-urban (NYC - the capitol of the World) to farm is a matter of 20 minutes. Despite what people think - it is also a very pretty state (get outside of Newark, people). I love Frank Sinatra and Hoboken. I love the history (pre-colonial, colonial, civil war, etc. etc. etc.). I love the Devils and Giants and the Meadowlands (fond memories of my first U2 concert in 1987). The Garden State Arts Center (what is it called these days) is a great venue.

Unfortunately, those attitudes I speak of play out in front of me everytime I go "home." Getting away from the attitudes and seeing that there are places where it is difficult to find people like that magnifies the situation for me in NJ. I should focus on the positives...but the negatives (for me) outweigh the positives. Sorry if I offend you. Don't take it personally....please.

ouizy said:
The more reasons you guys list, the more I love New York City.

Especially when you list things like trees, sunshine, and fresh water.

What a joke.

How can any city beat nyc when you only let us list 2 things???
I never mentioned trees, sunshine, and fresh water...

:wave:

Zonelistener--well, at least this is the first time i've seen you make an attempt to substantiate your rather vague opinions/generalizations about the state. it's refreshing to see you could actually list as many "positives" as you did; however, it's really not fair of you to overgeneralize the attitudes of the people who reside in NJ. i think it's really unfortunate that you seem to encounter this attitude with virtually every new jersian. perhaps it's just because i grew up in a semi-rural/suburban community close to the Pennsylvania line, but as far as i recall, the majority of the people i encountered were indeed warm, friendly, humble, and usually willing to greet a stranger or lend a hand. don't get me wrong, it was no little house on the prairie, but it certainly was a far cry from what you seem to be describing. even still, i've visited several other parts of NJ, and while the attitudes do seem to change (especially the nearer you get the the city), the people i've encountered and their basic attitudes are ultimately not all that different than from say individuals residing in any other mid-atlantic state. i'm not here to defend every new jersian; given, you have your pricks and diva-wannabes, but you'll have that anywhere you go. as for the accent....well, what can i say....try telling the residents of tennessee to quit speaking with a twang. it comes with the territory, in different degrees, like it or not. :shrug:
-----------------
anyway, i'll stop coming at you with my rants--it's getting to be quite tiring. i'm usually a very peaceable person, but i don't appreciate the idea of someone criticizing my character or anyone else's for that matter, especially when i know it to be completely untrue. though i may appear to be brash and sardonic at times, i think i am actually a fairly modest, unassuming and compassionate individual for the most part.

ouizy said:

my brother has lived in NYC for nearly ten years. i was born in upstate new york. i have visited your city a countless number of times. i must agree with you, actually. NYC is the center of the universe. i fell in love immediately. there is no place like it on earth. someday, when my daughter is older, i would like to live there. quite a change it would be, tho. i've fallen in love with las vegas, too.

NJ and you...Perfect together

Truce!

I too am at fault for going off on some crazy rant in that other thread. Look, guys and girls can be friends. :sexywink: I won't even hit on you (but then again, there is the whole husband thing, no?)

Of copurse, not everyone has this attitude in NJ. My town, despite being eight miles from the City, was quite small and "middle-American." Very nice people.

Cheers!

TripThruUreWires said:
.....anyway, i'll stop coming at you with my rants--it's getting to be quite tiring. i'm usually a very peaceable person, but i don't appreciate the idea of someone criticizing my character or anyone else's for that matter, especially when i know it to be completely untrue. though i may appear to be brash and sardonic at times, i think i am actually a fairly modest, unassuming and compassionate individual for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom