i think my cd burner died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandy

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
ok computer gurus, here's the situation.

i was ripping some songs onto my pooter with itunes (from a cd that works fine in my cd-rom and cd player). part way through the ripping process, it froze. i couldn't eject the cd, and itunes was frozen as well. i rebooted, and it let me eject the cd, but now my burner can't read anything. everytime i put a cd in, it starts its usual thing, but it stops short, and it shows that the drive is empty.

i tried different cds, rebooting, re-installing the driver, nothing seems to work.

:mad:

my burner is an acer and has worked like a charm for the year and a half that we've been together, so i know it's not a piece of crap.

if anybody has any suggestions or recommendations, i'd be eternally grateful.

do i need to revise my list for santa to include a new burner? :sad:

Acer is not a well-known brand name of CD burner. Thus, it might well have been crap, unfortunately.

The good news is that DVD burners have become fairly cheap (for the computer world), and they burn CDs just as well.

If you want a DVD/CD burner, I'd suggest this one:

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716A.htm

Or if you just want another plain old CD burner, get this one:

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/Premium.html

Things break at times, unfortunately. One last thing you can check before you start spending money on a new drive is to check the IDE cable (wide thin cable that attaches the drive to the motherboard). If the IDE cable fried, then that would explain why it no longer works, but still has power to it. However, there's no promises there: it might still be a bad drive.

Melon

Last edited:
Plextor is the best. If you can't afford it or don't want to spend the cash, I'd go with an LG.

Back
Top Bottom