I think I'm gonna go get Scarlet's Walk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm in love with Tori Amos' voice. Can't stop listening to The Beekeeper, Under The Pink and Little Earthquakes over and over again on my itunes. Those are the only 3 albums I have. It feels like I've missed a chunk of her discography. All I know of her weird and experimental period are the videos for Caught A Lite Sneeze and Talula, thanks to vague memories of watching them on MTV back in the mid 90s or something. I heard that Scarlet's Walk was a return to her Under The Pink style and now I'm really curious. Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess The Beekeeper is a continuation of that style. I want to get Scarlet's Walk next. And then maybe Boys For Pele? What do you guys think?

Calling all Tori die hards! :scream: :wink:

Share your love here. :heart:

ToriAmos.jpg

My like for her records has been steadily decreasing for a while. Scarlet's Walk is a lot better than The Beekeeper (which I don't like very much at all), but I don't think Scarlet's Walk is anywhere near as good as her previous albums.

I waffle on that - From the Choirgirl Hotel and To Venus and Back I sometimes like, sometimes dislike. Some grow on me - I strongly disliked Strange Little Girls at first, but now I love it (except for a few horrid tracks like "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" and "Heart of Gold").

Seek out her cover of Eminem's " '97 Bonnie and Clyde" and tell me it's not the creepiest damn thing you've ever heard. Creepy, but very effective. "Real Men" and "Time" are amazing, as are several other tracks on the disc, which is all covers.

Her first three albums are far and away her best. But she's always interesting, and I'll keep buying her records, hoping she'll surprise me one of these days.

I highly recommend Boys For Pele. It took a long time for it to grow on me, but now I think it's her best record (if a bit too long). Ask me tomorrow, however, and I might say Little Earthquakes or Under the Pink is her best. :wink:

Last edited:
Where the heck are HG and Joyful?! I know they both like Scarlett's Walk quite a bit, I'm sure they will be able to help you out and then some! I think I personally like it more than The Beekeeper also. As corianderstem said, Boys For Pele definitely seems to be a fan favorite and is certainly worth getting soon (even though I don't own it on CD....)

Little Earthquakes is still far and away my favorite of her's. :up:

That's on From the Choirgirl Hotel, which is far from her strongest album, but "Spark" is INCREDIBLE. :up:

Come to think of it Zoots, you should get her "Tales Of A Librarian: A Tori Amos Collection" - I have it and it's GREAT.

Last edited:
Z, I think you definitely have the right idea when you say that you're thinking of picking up Scarlet's Walk and then Boys for Pele. What you may want to do is go find that last old Tori thread that was absolutely huge and scroll around it and read it...joyful and I and some others talk about Tori lots...and what I'm about to say is probably a repeat.

Pele was my favorite Tori album for years and years (and I've been a fan and buying her albums since high school when Little Earthquakes came out for me). But that having been said, Scarlet's Walk has grown on me to the point where I now consider it a masterpiece, and perhaps my new favorite as well. It took a long time to become that for me, but it was well worth the wait.

So yeah, when somebody says they're planning on picking up those two albums, I can't help but approve. Scarlet is very much a piano album, and it might take you a while to warm up to some of the songs at first, but overall, it's wonderful. Thematically, it's brilliant. If you can still find the special edition with the map and the lyrics, those really help you follow Tori around the album, so to speak. Pele is the harpsichord album, but other than that, it's all Tori and there's nothing too weird or scandalous about it. It's just a bit adventurous, which is why I love Tori in the first place. Sounds like you are ready for both of them. I hope you enjoy them. Keep us posted. :)

I think Scarlet's Walk was one of the first albums of hers that I got. It was around that album's release that I decided to find out what all the hype was about. Now I've got 5 or 6 of her albums and I've joined in the hype. :wink:

I'll agree, Tales Of A Librarian is a great collection if you don't plan on getting all the albums.

I haven't listened to anything from The Beekeeper for some reason; I've heard alot of die-hards say that they don't care for it.

As for Scarlet's Walk - it's a great album. :up: I don't have Under The Pink yet, but perhaps I should get it since the styles have been compared closely.

maro_chik said:
Tales Of A Librarian is a great collection if you don't plan on getting all the albums.

Oh I think I plan on getting all her albums.. slowly but surely! :drool: I saw that collection at both Best Buy and Circuit City today and was very very tempted to buy it, esp. cos neither store had even one copy of Scarlet's Walk! :mad: But I don't know if I want to get a hits collection from which I already have like half the songs.

maro_chik said:
I haven't listened to anything from The Beekeeper for some reason; I've heard alot of die-hards say that they don't care for it.

I don't know what the hell those die-hards are smoking because The Beekeeper is one beautiful album! Right now I can't get enough of Marys Of The Sea and Toast. So gorgeous! :heart:

Oh... and Choirgirl Hotel was on sale for $11.99. But I don't want to get that one just yet!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
That's on From the Choirgirl Hotel, which is far from her strongest album, but "Spark" is INCREDIBLE. :up:

I think Choirgirl is Tori's best, along with Little Earthquakes. Not crazy about the last two tracks, but the rest is fantastic.

I agree with corianderstem that Scarlet's Walk is nice enough, but not near as good as her previous work. And I like the Beekeeper not much at all: boring. Although everyone seems to love Pele, and I never have taken much to that album. It has a few great songs (Hey Jupiter, Horses, Caught a Lite Sneeze), but I found most of it to be kind of a mess and not that enjoyable.

I also think To Venus and Back is great.

Okay, I realize it's early days yet as I have listened to Scarlet's Walk only once all the way through and attempted Amber Waves thru to Strange a second time but... not much has grabbed me yet. I still have Marys Of The Sea and Toast in my head. As of now I prefer The Beekeeper by a mile! :slant:

But lemme not jump the gun here. I did like I Can't See New York and Taxi Ride. I'll definitely give it many more listens. HeartlandGirl, you said this album's a grower. I trust in your words. :wink:

I'm glad you got the album. :)

And now, like Tori, I want to tell a little story.

The day Scarlet's Walk came out, a coworker and I picked it up and listened to it while we worked in our separate offices. And I vividly remember that 'Taxi Ride' was the first song to catch my attention and make me realize I would probably like the album. The entire rest of the time, I just listened along, thinking..."Okay...I don't know about this." It was such a long, grand, overwhelming album, the songs all kind of ran together. It took me a while, but over time, the songs began to take on their own identities, as if they were stepping out of the shadows one by one. Each song sparkled for me and began to mean something to me in its own time. No lie, it took three years before I finally liked 'Virginia.' I was cleaning my bedroom, listening to it on a crappy stereo, and that song just hit me. Three years later, and who knows how many times I had listened to that album before. Some of the songs just took a lot of time.

So don't give up and don't get overwhelmed. Take your time and savor it. I know someday you'll love it as much as you do The Beekeeper.

^ I had a very similar experience. I couldn't tell the songs apart for a long time. I only knew that having it on in the background relaxed me. I like to sing along and the lyrics seemed complicated and not easy to learn. But eventually--and not over too long a time--I just fell completely in love with it. It also helped to hear those songs live.

About "I Can't See New York" -- I now consider that song one of Tori's masterpieces, certainly the best 9/11 song I've heard. Live, it is stunning, the sweeping vocals, the mood, the lyrics...it just wowed me big time. I remember sitting in front of her and practically going into a trance when she played that.

Anyway, doesn't mean you'll have the same experience Zootlesque, but it does take some time to get to know this record just as you experienced with The Beekeeper. :) I have to agree with you about Marys of the Sea and Toast, two of my favorite songs from Beekeeper. Toast always moves me because while it's apparently about her brother who died a couple of years ago, it always reminds me of my best friend who also died a few years ago--and he was the one who turned me on to Tori.

Happy listening. :)

Oh my God... :ohmy: You guys were right... It's amazing how this album grows on you after a few listens! I have several favorites here already. At the top of the heap is I Can't See New York which is probably one of Tori's best songs ever! I just can't get enough of that gorgeous flowing piano and that amazing soaring guitar during the 'from the other side' verse! :love: Other songs I can't get enough of are Taxi Ride, A Sorta Fairytale, Crazy and Wednesday all rated 5 stars on my itunes :wink: Amber Waves, Strange, Mrs. Jesus, Carbon, Sweet Sangria, Vegas and Pancake aren't that far behind... so yeah... :drool:

:lol:

Such lush arrangements and beautiful soundscapes on this album!... esp. songs like Crazy, Your Cloud and Strange :love: :combust:

I just remembered the video for A Sorta Fairytale. Creepiest video ever. :shudder:

Have any of your read Piece By Piece, the book she wrote with Ann Powers? I'm not very far into it yet, but it's pretty good so far. She's an interesting person.

Yeah, that video is very creepy. But the song is addictive.

I have Piece by Piece, it's sitting right there with the Bob Dylan book, the Bono book, and the Wilco book, none of which I've read. I have to read so much for work that it's hard to get to my favorite rock star books. :mad:

Zootlesque, you're a goner now. You are officially a Toriphile and there's just nothing to be done about it but surrender to it. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
Zootlesque, you're a goner now. You are officially a Toriphile and there's just nothing to be done about it but surrender to it. :wink:

Another one bites the dust! Yay!!!!! :applaud:

I'm driving to my parents' house today...13 hours in the pick-up, but I'll have my live Tori CDs to keep me company. :heart:

I love every single song on Scarlet's Walk.

Alright alright... you guys were right, it IS better than The Beekeeper. :wink:

Today I got Boys For Pele and I didn't pay a single cent cos I used my $25 gift card. :drool:

I'm just about to open it. :hyper: :D

Zootlesque said:

Today I got Boys For Pele and I didn't pay a single cent cos I used my $25 gift card. :drool:

*anticipates future posts about how good Boys for Pele is also*

:wink: :up:

I'm so glad you are coming around to Scarlet's Walk, Zootlesque! It takes a few listens, but it such an incredibly rich album. Carbon is one of my favourite songs of all-time. That, and Spark. That being said, please, please, please get Choirgirl the next opportunity you can. It is a masterpiece. :bow:

I can't wait to hear what you think of Boys for Pele! :drool:

Oh how many days will it be until she goes on tour again? :heart:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
I love every single song on Scarlet's Walk.

Alright alright... you guys were right, it IS better than The Beekeeper. :wink:

This is all excellent news!

Can't wait to hear what you think about Boys for Pele. I was listening to "Muhammad My Friend" the other night, just loving it. That whole album is :drool:.

FlyYourKite, I just called HG to tell her the news of this while she is home in Oklahoma. :wink: :up:

Back
Top Bottom