i still have not heard X&Y....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t8thgr8

War Child
Im really (reeeeaaaaaallllly) looking forward to this record. before it leaked, some people have heard it and reviews were nothing but exceptional. now its like its the shittiest record ever, taken from opinion here, of course. at coldplaying, it seems as if 86% of the fans like it. here, around 40%.

now heres my first question. is this album coldplay's 'atomic bomb'? how was bomb recieved on other message boards? was it around 40 percent positive? cuz i remember around the same people like bomb here as fans like X&Y over there.

What exactly, in one sentence, is wrong with X&Y?

is it too weird? too many layers? someone here i think even said something close to 'too much going on'. you people criticise this record scarily like people did with achtung baby.

see the reason i have so much hope for this album is that i want them to be the next U2. i want coldplay to be the most innovative, the most daring, the most anticipated band.

U2 isnt willing to do it.

they want to compete with 'britney'.

This causes the pop song mentality that takes away from creativity and innovation. The masses dont respond well to change.
U2 doesnt seem to want to scare off the public. I fully understand their reluctance to change and shock because i can imagine what happened to them after popmart. The bad part about that is that i love POPs sound. it intriques me. Zooroppa intriques me. AB intriques me. JT intriques me. Behind and Bomb are just fun to sing along to. gone are all the background layers and multiple edges. gone are the falsettos i love so much. the falsetto at the end of one? oh. my. god. bono doesnt even attempt it in concert anymore. they simply changed the ending to some broing do-wop duo thing now on vertigo.

To sum it up, U2 isnt willing to be the next U2. Atleast not from what ive seen so far.

So the next best bet? coldplay.

My take on everyones opinion is that X&Y is kind of 'too much'. Tried too hard to fill in holes with ambiance. Chris is trying to hard to sound different. is it really a shallow simple crap record? or is it another zooroppa? (it took me a thousand listens to appreciate zooroppa.)

btw way, i have the 'talk' that leaked a few months back. If it represents X&Y in anyway, please say so.

why can't all these threads be contained together?

:crack:

the thing that really puts me off hearing coldplay now is all the pitiful threads about them. it's like how one person here once said that the numerous kasabian threads put him off the band. i can see his point now.

MrBrau1 said:
Coldplay? Innovative? Progressive?

Oh, definitely. :wink: The most progressive band ever!

Anyway, as to the original poster's question...you shouldn't rely on others' opinions too much. If you like the album, that's all that matters. People have such varying views on music that it's impossible to truly judge how you'll like something prior to hearing it.

That said, I'm going to give you my opinion anyway. It sounds like Coldplay are trying too hard on this record. Chris Martin in particular. Square One and White Shadows are just about the only tracks I like on the album. Square One is probably the only song on it that sounds drastically different to anything they've ever done before. The rest of it...same old, same old, just with a couple of synthesizers thrown in for good measure. And Twisted Logic is such a mediocre Radiohead rip-off, it's not even funny.

Oh, and they completely fucked up Talk. I liked the original version they put out MUCH better.

Okay...I JUST added another Coldplay thread to the Band Index, and I added two yesterday. I'm getting sick of seeing Coldplay threads. Sorry to pick out your thread in particular, t8thgr8, but I have had it.

I only have Internet access at work right now, and since I need to, you know, actually WORK sometimes, I'm limited to my time online. Often, my only time to come to Interference is to maintain the band index. I wish people would use it.

http://forum.interference.com/t115814.html

Even if I get behind on it a few days, there still have been plenty of recent Coldplay threads added there. Please contribute to one of those.

I'm usually not this snippy, especially with closing threads, but enough is enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom