I SMELL a backlash....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
From deadairspace....

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/

might i suggest that those selling their koko tickets on e bay for stupid money gives a contribution...
say 30 percent of their proceeds,
back to friends of the earth, for whose benefit we are all doing this show.
seems only fair, unless you're a shallow____, dont you think?

by the way listening back to things we are doing and looking through the lyrics today
and stuff it feels like we are finally getting somewhere. there are lots of songs. too many
to get together straight away. so we will be furiously rehearsing and writing as we go.

... i think we ve always worked best when we arent bothered
about making mistakes.
theres a lot of baggage about the old way of doing things that is hard to get over...
all the 'album' crap..just this level of pressure that is ridiculous..
we're just going to do what feels right at the time
quite intothe idea of singles at the moment(that dont get on the radio)
no grand design... wherever we are at. some of the random stuff we have at the moment
could be the most exciting... trying to figure out how on earth we will be able to play some of it.
anyway it is not important. there is more to life than freaking out about petty bullshit like this. there are
more important things to think about.

Ok, so if Radiohead comes out with an album that doesn't push the 'concept album' limits will a lot of people here jump off the bandwaggon because they are 'too cool (read: pretentious)' to like an album about great songs?

:ohmy:

thom yorke said:

quite intothe idea of singles at the moment(that dont get on the radio)
clearly radiohead's idea of singles is different from u2's idea of singles, so i'm not too worried.
no grand design... wherever we are at. some of the random stuff we have at the moment
could be the most exciting... trying to figure out how on earth we will be able to play some of it.
this is the part that excites me. :up:

there is more to life than freaking out about petty bullshit like this.
yep.

Re: Re: I SMELL a backlash....

lmjhitman said:
clearly radiohead's idea of singles is different from u2's idea of singles, so i'm not too worried.

Ha ha. You keep telling yourself that.

Radiohead are writing singles!

heh ha heh ha ha ha!

Could it be they've left the self-indulgence of KID A/Amnesiac in the past?

Radiohead are writing singles!:drool:

They put out 1 song that garners massive radio airplay, and 1/2 their current fans will bail. Twill be great to see.

I like this part

"quite intothe idea of singles at the moment(that dont get on the radio)"

Trying to cover up for themselves with that parenthesis? :hmm:

More good news:

From the recent NME interview on playing this years V Festival:

"to play lots of old stuff and get into that mode and see what it feels like, rather than rejecting it wholesale forever more"

I agree, a backlash could be coming up. It's possible. This is gonna be interesting.

While this is indeed a new DAS post, this is hardly a new idea or a new "quote" from the 'Head--specifically, the Thom.

For several years, he's been intermittently saying that the band might be more interested in releasing singles and EPs, from here on out, and just sort of touring in general. This is the main reason for my shock when the band suddenly announced that they were headed back into the studio not just to record, but to record A FULL LP. That was the surprising news, since I was expecting a steady flow of new, EP-style material in place of more intermittent LPs.

So, yeah. Why are we so collectively shocked by this...? It's old news, isn't it? Or am I perhaps just making liberal connections I shouldn't be making?

I don't care if it's concept oriented or just a random bunch of unrelated songs....as long as it's great.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ha, I see I posted in the wrong thread:

:wink:

ha. that's funny April. i feel the same exact way. they just don't do it for me like they used to.

martha said:
If there is a backlash, will it be real so tickets will be easier to get? Or will it be a U2-style backlash, where everyone bitches but still buys tickets anyway?

:giggle:

Bring on the backlash. Let it start now before the record is finished. Remember the Rattle & Hum backlash? We got Achtung Baby out of that one. :up:

interesting to see that the only people that are actually lashing out so far, are those who are just trying to be shit-disturbers.

once again, we are hungry for a lynching

:corn:

Backlash or not. I personally cannot wait for the new album.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
Backlash or not. I personally cannot wait for the new album.

Me, too. Since they've never made a record I don't like, I have every reason to be excited. :hyper:

I'm with Brau, this is wonderful. I've been saying for a few years around here that they need to change their formula. Weaknesses have crept in.

I don't think there's any doubt that RH are closet conventional songwriting fans. I think Greenwood is quoted as saying that "Stuck In A Moment" is a highly impressive song.

Let's face it, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are going to be seen as pretty influencial albums. They've created a blueprint for aging/veteran Rock bands on how to get it done artistically as fortysomethings.

Depeche Mode's latest? You got it, back to their roots.

Pearl Jam's latest? Too soon to tell, but early indications are that they're using the 2000's U2 artistic motif of rediscovering your true self.

RH is next---lol. Let's all make way for safe RH. It's gonna be brilliant.

Re: Re: Re: I SMELL a backlash....

MrBrau1 said:

Ha ha. You keep telling yourself that.

heh ha heh ha ha ha!

Could it be they've left the self-indulgence of KID A/Amnesiac in the past?

Radiohead are writing singles!:drool:

They put out 1 song that garners massive radio airplay, and 1/2 their current fans will bail. Twill be great to see.

:bow:

MrBrau1 said:
More good news:

From the recent NME interview on playing this years V Festival:

"to play lots of old stuff and get into that mode and see what it feels like, rather than rejecting it wholesale forever more"

They seem to have a great disdain for their best stuff.

Pablo Honey.

The Bends.

Is OK Computer considered "old stuff"?

It is almost 9 years old.

I started drifting away from Radiohead once I discovered Sigur Ros. "Kid A" just didn't seem all that adventurous anymore.

I still love "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends." I have to be in the right mood for "OK Computer," but it's still worth the hype.

Melon

ummmm

Radiohead released singles for both Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief

we can judge by those singles, that radio-play isn't the number one thing in their minds
There, There was the most radio-friendly thing they've put out in ages and it still didn't exactly rock the charts. I'm very doubtful that they will ever hit number 1 with a single again. The average radio-listening persons have long since forgotten about Radiohead.
For a band that was almost a household name in the late 90's, they've faded into relative obscurity.

melon said:
I started drifting away from Radiohead once I discovered Sigur Ros. "Kid A" just didn't seem all that adventurous anymore.

and takk does seem adventurous?
AB is the only really progressive album they've produced

I hope their new album is more in the vein of OK Computer and The Bends

I just fell in love with those 2 albums :love:

i want an ALBUM, dammit.

i want a COLLECTION of songs, stop being a baby thom. :angry:

and they can all be 'hey 7ude' singles for all i care, but i want them in an ALBUM.

:anger ee:

Back
Top Bottom