I SMELL a backlash.... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Compared to HTTT, yes. Definitely.

Melon
not to fight or argue, but in the interest of debate; I urge you to find a song on Takk more adventurous than Myxamatosis

of course, at this point it comes down to personal preferences, I suppose

Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Layton
I'm with Brau, this is wonderful. I've been saying for a few years around here that they need to change their formula. Weaknesses have crept in.

I don't think there's any doubt that RH are closet conventional songwriting fans. I think Greenwood is quoted as saying that "Stuck In A Moment" is a highly impressive song.

Let's face it, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are going to be seen as pretty influencial albums. They've created a blueprint for aging/veteran Rock bands on how to get it done artistically as fortysomethings.

Depeche Mode's latest? You got it, back to their roots.

Pearl Jam's latest? Too soon to tell, but early indications are that they're using the 2000's U2 artistic motif of rediscovering your true self.

RH is next---lol. Let's all make way for safe RH. It's gonna be brilliant.
argh...

greenwood never said that. obrien did, though. he also smokes fungus, fer rell.

atyclb and htdaab are blueprints for how to flush a toilet, and that's about it.

and radiohead aren't in their 40's.

are you even talking about the right band?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 PM
I don't care if Radiohead feel like making singles. I do care if they're cohesive or not in the end. You can't just throw a bunch of songs together willy-nilly and say, well, there's an album. Okay you could. It has been done many times before. But I like albums that have recurring themes! I like albums that feel like albums.

I'm still very interested to see how it turns out, though. Radiohead made some good pop songs in the past. If that's the kind of "single" they're aiming at, I'm all for it. Just as long as they're not repeating the past.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I think they were already headed in this direction anyway on HTTT. "There There" sure sounded like a single to me, regardless of how little radio airplay it got. And it was great!

Seeing that this is Radiohead we are talking about, I seriously doubt they are going to come out with anything remotely resembling "My Humps" or "Hollaback Girl." I don't think they are even going to come out with anything remotely resembling "Vertigo" and "Elevation." So no worries from me.

And since U2 admire Radiohead so much, maybe they will see that you can write great songs, even ones that sound like they could be singles (since when do singles have to suck?) without resorting to musical and lyrical cliches, and that will help them crawl out of the hole they have been digging for themselves with ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Just call me the eternal optimist.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

i don't really understand all the u2 comparisons. is it just because this is a u2 site, and you've got nothing better to do? do you guys really think that radiohead and u2 have anything in common? musically, i don't get it. maybe i just need to clean the wax out of my ears, but when i listen to the last two radiohead albums i hear pretentious experimental bullshit, whereas i hear safe and poppy, radio-friendly garbage on the last u2 albums. kind of apples and oranges. the only thing i can think of is that they're the unofficial official other favorite band of plenty people at this site, and i'm pretty sick of both bands (u2 and radiohead).
Old 03-22-2006, 02:25 AM   #36
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:03 AM
U2 should never be mentioned in a thread about Radiohead. Only ASSHOLES do that.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:03 PM
nm.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:51 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I started drifting away from Radiohead once I discovered Sigur Ros. "Kid A" just didn't seem all that adventurous anymore.

I still love "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends." I have to be in the right mood for "OK Computer," but it's still worth the hype.

Melon
Much as I love Sigur Ros (and especially now that I've seen them live, no one else can quite compare) I have to say they haven't diminished my love for Radiohead and Kid A in the least. I just don't compare the two. But I guess I never loved Kid A because I thought it was adventurous to begin with, I just love the songs and hearing the record all the way through. If anything I'm tired of it from overplay and just anxious for new material. Watching some live Radiohead concerts from the last tour recently has reinvigorated my love for them, though.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

argh...

greenwood never said that. obrien did, though. he also smokes fungus, fer rell.

atyclb and htdaab are blueprints for how to flush a toilet, and that's about it.

yea Ed did say that, and yes he was high when he said it
Old 03-22-2006, 03:30 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Ed O'Brien is now officially my favourite Radiohead member.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:33 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Ed O'Brien is now officially my favourite Radiohead member.
ed is fucking useless

anayway SIAMYCGOO is one of U2is worst
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: Re: I SMELL a backlash....

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Ha ha. You keep telling yourself that.

Radiohead are writing singles!

heh ha heh ha ha ha!

Could it be they've left the self-indulgence of KID A/Amnesiac in the past?

They put out 1 song that garners massive radio airplay, and 1/2 their current fans will bail. Twill be great to see.

they plan on releasing their singles online. The band said not to expect an album just yet, maybe one single or an EP.
LP7 --maybe next year
Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Ed is the one member that must never leave Radiohead.

Ed has balls.

Go Ed
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I don't care if Radiohead feel like making singles. I do care if they're cohesive or not in the end. You can't just throw a bunch of songs together willy-nilly and say, well, there's an album. Okay you could. It has been done many times before. But I like albums that have recurring themes! I like albums that feel like albums.

This is exactly what I am talking about. How will RH fans react if the band puts out albums with the ATYCLB or HTDAAB (collections of great songs that don't add up to a great album).

I am one fan that won't mind. I agree that U2 and RH are nothing alike, but for the sake of this discussion I will use it. I have loved the U2 pop songs of this decade. ATYCLB and HTDAAB will never be my favorite albums, but when those SONGS take their place in the U2 catalogue, I am very pleased. I enjoy almost all of them (fuck off POE!!!!). I love the fact that the band has gone through this pop phase (now I would like to see them move on). I am eager to see RH do the same. I want to hear Thom and the boys write the most classically beautiful songs they can.

We know that they can fuck with the common pop structure and create great art. Now I want to see them write w/in that classic structure.

But, I'm one of those crazy people who don't use to define my value, so I don't mind if a favorite of mine tries something 'uncool'....

... then again, I'm an asshole....

Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

... then again, I'm an asshole....
If this had anything to do with a certain Sly Stallone's comment, then please don't feel so.