I SMELL a backlash....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

Compared to HTTT, yes. Definitely.

Melon

not to fight or argue, but in the interest of debate; I urge you to find a song on Takk more adventurous than Myxamatosis

of course, at this point it comes down to personal preferences, I suppose

Layton said:
I'm with Brau, this is wonderful. I've been saying for a few years around here that they need to change their formula. Weaknesses have crept in.

I don't think there's any doubt that RH are closet conventional songwriting fans. I think Greenwood is quoted as saying that "Stuck In A Moment" is a highly impressive song.

Let's face it, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are going to be seen as pretty influencial albums. They've created a blueprint for aging/veteran Rock bands on how to get it done artistically as fortysomethings.

Depeche Mode's latest? You got it, back to their roots.

Pearl Jam's latest? Too soon to tell, but early indications are that they're using the 2000's U2 artistic motif of rediscovering your true self.

RH is next---lol. Let's all make way for safe RH. It's gonna be brilliant.

argh...

greenwood never said that. obrien did, though. he also smokes fungus, fer rell.

atyclb and htdaab are blueprints for how to flush a toilet, and that's about it.

and radiohead aren't in their 40's.

are you even talking about the right band?

I don't care if Radiohead feel like making singles. I do care if they're cohesive or not in the end. You can't just throw a bunch of songs together willy-nilly and say, well, there's an album. Okay you could. It has been done many times before. But I like albums that have recurring themes! I like albums that feel like albums.

I'm still very interested to see how it turns out, though. Radiohead made some good pop songs in the past. If that's the kind of "single" they're aiming at, I'm all for it. Just as long as they're not repeating the past.

I think they were already headed in this direction anyway on HTTT. "There There" sure sounded like a single to me, regardless of how little radio airplay it got. And it was great!

Seeing that this is Radiohead we are talking about, I seriously doubt they are going to come out with anything remotely resembling "My Humps" or "Hollaback Girl." I don't think they are even going to come out with anything remotely resembling "Vertigo" and "Elevation." So no worries from me.

And since U2 admire Radiohead so much, maybe they will see that you can write great songs, even ones that sound like they could be singles (since when do singles have to suck?) without resorting to musical and lyrical cliches, and that will help them crawl out of the hole they have been digging for themselves with ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Just call me the eternal optimist.

Last edited:
i don't really understand all the u2 comparisons. is it just because this is a u2 site, and you've got nothing better to do? do you guys really think that radiohead and u2 have anything in common? musically, i don't get it. maybe i just need to clean the wax out of my ears, but when i listen to the last two radiohead albums i hear pretentious experimental bullshit, whereas i hear safe and poppy, radio-friendly garbage on the last u2 albums. kind of apples and oranges. the only thing i can think of is that they're the unofficial official other favorite band of plenty people at this site, and i'm pretty sick of both bands (u2 and radiohead).

melon said:
I started drifting away from Radiohead once I discovered Sigur Ros. "Kid A" just didn't seem all that adventurous anymore.

I still love "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends." I have to be in the right mood for "OK Computer," but it's still worth the hype.

Melon

Much as I love Sigur Ros (and especially now that I've seen them live, no one else can quite compare) I have to say they haven't diminished my love for Radiohead and Kid A in the least. I just don't compare the two. But I guess I never loved Kid A because I thought it was adventurous to begin with, I just love the songs and hearing the record all the way through. If anything I'm tired of it from overplay and just anxious for new material. Watching some live Radiohead concerts from the last tour recently has reinvigorated my love for them, though.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

argh...

greenwood never said that. obrien did, though. he also smokes fungus, fer rell.

atyclb and htdaab are blueprints for how to flush a toilet, and that's about it.

yea Ed did say that, and yes he was high when he said it:wink:

Re: Re: Re: I SMELL a backlash....

MrBrau1 said:

Ha ha. You keep telling yourself that.

Radiohead are writing singles!

heh ha heh ha ha ha!

Could it be they've left the self-indulgence of KID A/Amnesiac in the past?

Radiohead are writing singles!:drool:

They put out 1 song that garners massive radio airplay, and 1/2 their current fans will bail. Twill be great to see.

they plan on releasing their singles online. The band said not to expect an album just yet, maybe one single or an EP.
LP7 --maybe next year:wink:

GibsonGirl said:
I don't care if Radiohead feel like making singles. I do care if they're cohesive or not in the end. You can't just throw a bunch of songs together willy-nilly and say, well, there's an album. Okay you could. It has been done many times before. But I like albums that have recurring themes! I like albums that feel like albums.

This is exactly what I am talking about. How will RH fans react if the band puts out albums with the ATYCLB or HTDAAB (collections of great songs that don't add up to a great album).

I am one fan that won't mind. I agree that U2 and RH are nothing alike, but for the sake of this discussion I will use it. I have loved the U2 pop songs of this decade. ATYCLB and HTDAAB will never be my favorite albums, but when those SONGS take their place in the U2 catalogue, I am very pleased. I enjoy almost all of them (fuck off POE!!!!). I love the fact that the band has gone through this pop phase (now I would like to see them move on). I am eager to see RH do the same. I want to hear Thom and the boys write the most classically beautiful songs they can.

We know that they can fuck with the common pop structure and create great art. Now I want to see them write w/in that classic structure.

But, I'm one of those crazy people who don't use to define my value, so I don't mind if a favorite of mine tries something 'uncool'....

... then again, I'm an asshole....

:angel:

xaviMF22 said:

ed is fucking useless:wink:

anayway SIAMYCGOO is one of U2is worst

Radiohead haven't written or recorded a song better than "Stuck In A Moment" since 1997.

This band has been in a major creative drought for almost 10 years.

Right now they're a band with 1 good record, 2 great records, 2 worthless records, and 1 mediocre record.

They could still be one of the greats.

My fingers are crossed with hopes they break their losing streak.

Thom quote sounds very promising. Seems to be rejecting all the BS of the last few years, and embracing what sounds good.

And where's the outrage from RH fans regarding the old stuff and "rejecting it wholesale forever more"? :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Radiohead haven't written or recorded a song better than "Stuck In A Moment" since 1997.

See, I LOVE Kid A. For my money Everything in its right place and Idioteque are two of the greatest songs ever.

The only album of theirs I have been disappointed with is HTTT and I don't hate that. I would just like to see them head in a different direction.

Some people cry when they hear the truth. :sad:

Some run away.

Some cover their ears.

Some deny it to no end.

Some embrace it.

Some even laugh it off. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Right now they're a band with 1 good record, 2 great records, 2 worthless records, and 1 mediocre record.

They could still be one of the greats.

My fingers are crossed with hopes they break their losing streak.

Thom quote sounds very promising. Seems to be rejecting all the BS of the last few years, and embracing what sounds good.

And where's the outrage from RH fans regarding the old stuff and "rejecting it wholesale forever more"? :wink:

I think you are going to be disappoined if you think the band is going to change. They are not talking about releasing "radio friendly" singles, but online singles only. They haven't signed a new record deal, so this cuts out the record label entirely.

xaviMF22 said:

I think you are going to be disappoined if you think the band is going to change. They are not talking about releasing "radio friendly" singles, but online singles only. They haven't signed a new record deal, so this cuts out the record label entirely.

Radiohead have been disappointing me for almost 6-7 years.

So I'm used to that.

But I like the idea of free standing songs, standing on their own, living completely on their own merrit, not part of some arty-prog-rock concept album.

MrBrau1 said:

But I like the idea of free standing songs, standing on their own, living completely on their own merrit, not part of some arty-prog-rock concept album.

I like it too, but I wont be disappointed if the songs sound like they belong on kid A. By the demos I heard they just might, especially "aperggi"

martha said:
If there is a backlash, will it be real so tickets will be easier to get? Or will it be a U2-style backlash, where everyone bitches but still buys tickets anyway?

:lol:

i've noticed that there are many people who's part of liking the above average band called Radiohead involves ripping on U2 to help themselves feel better about liking an above average band. for example:

"omfg!!11 u2 is da boring!!!111"

"radiohead r geniouses!!!!111"

my advice to some of you is to shut the fuck and enjoy both bands, and stop fucking comparing and competing all the time. if you're looking for competition, join a dart league or something, or even better, get laid.

Dalton said:
See, I LOVE Kid A. For my money Everything in its right place and Idioteque are two of the greatest songs ever.

:up: Not to mention How to Disappear Completely and National Anthem. Also far superior to the adult contemporary and very average (though I like it in a nostalgic kind of way) Stuck in a Moment are: Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, There There, and A Wolf at the Door. Actually, I think all of HTTT is better/more interesting than Stuck.

mikal said:

my advice to some of you is to shut the fuck and enjoy both bands, and stop fucking comparing and competing all the time. if you're looking for competition, join a dart league or something, or even better, get laid.

I do love and enjoy both bands but also have no problem defending one when pitted against the other although I agree the debate is pretty useless. Still, it's boring in here lately so wtf.

joyfulgirl said:

:up: Not to mention How to Disappear Completely and National Anthem. Also far superior to the adult contemporary and very average (though I like it in a nostalgic kind of way) Stuck in a Moment are: Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, There There, and A Wolf at the Door. Actually, I think all of HTTT is better/more interesting than Stuck.

I would agree. For my money SIAM is only better than POE in the U2 catalogue, but that doesn't make the whole album crap. I would say that only Everything in its right place rivals Beautiful Day in brilliance...

And besides Myxamatosis, I think most of Hut Dab is better than HTTT.

mikal said:

:cute:

i hope you noticed that the hyperbole extends both ways. i.e. there are plenty of 'u2 r geniouses'/'radiohead are crap' posts as well. and this is a U2 board, so it's pretty much a common point for all of us. the fact that many of us like u2 and radiohead pretty much makes comparisions inevitable, i would think. so maybe you should consider the context of these posts and take your own advice.

this thread was started with the intention to incite people, specifically 'pretentious' radiohead fans - who clearly aren't taking the bait. so anyone who's looking for their daily outrage fix is going to have to find it another thread.

still, like joyful girl said, there's not much else to talk about in here, so it's been mildly interesting seeing people get worked up over nothing.

Dalton said:
(fuck off POE!!!!)
:lmao: for inside reasons.

:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom