i saw rem last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
really solid show.

are they playing permanent vacation at all their shows now? i didn't think they used to...

anyway, michael stipe a fine man.

anyone else see rem on their current tour?

I'm seeing them on the 28th. I got 7th row center seats and am quite excited, having not seen them since MSG circa 1987, and as I mentioned in another thread, Stipe was not yet the rock star then that he is now so it'll be great to see them again. I hope they play 'Begin the Begin' which I know they're playing at most shows, but I have a long history of being at the one show where the one song isn't played (no "War on War" for me at the Wilco show, no "Californication" for me at the RHCP show, that kind of thing).

they didn't play end of the world..., nightswimming, everybody hurts, ebow (wasn't really expecting them to play this one), bad day, etc. etc.

kinda disappointing in that sense, but that's fine. i'm guessing any hardcore rem fans in the audience would have got the setlist of a lifetime. or so some people were saying anyway...

Do I need to buy the new record in order to love this show? I just haven't heard good things about the record. You have good taste (which means that it often agrees with mine :sexywink: ), do you like the new record?

They played here in Winnipeg last night.

I would have liked to go, but the tickets sold out in 2 minutes. :eek:

I've heard nothing but good reviews of the concert. :up:

i saw them at madison square garden a couple weeks back.
it was two days after the us presidential election.
they started the show with a bang playing "it's the end of the world as we know it"
michael stipe is one hell of a front man.
his voice was in top form.
i am not that familiar with the newer stuff but "i wanted to be wrong" from around the sun seemed pretty dead-on with how a lot of people were feeling that night.
very very good show.
their lighting is awesome, by the way.

Zoomerang96 said:
they didn't play end of the world..., nightswimming, everybody hurts, ebow (wasn't really expecting them to play this one), bad day, etc. etc.

What was the set list?

Suprised there was no bad day.

i have no idea what the setlist was, i can't remember a bunch of the songs already. and no, that's not an indication of the show. i just don't remember a good deal of what they played, and some of the songs i didn't even know when i heard them.

Here you go :wink:

Finest Worksong
Begin The Begin
The Wake-Up Bomb
Drive
Animal
Boy In The Well
Imitation Of Life
High Speed Train
I've Been High
Leaving New York
Orange Crush
Strange Currencies
I Wanted To Be Wrong
The One I Love
Final Straw
Losing My Religion
Walk Unafraid
Life And How To Live It

encore:
What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
So. Central Rain
Permanent Vacation
I'm Gonna DJ
Man On The Moon

Last edited:
oh, that's a lovely set, even if there aren't so many good songs on it.

:wink:

i love when they play man on the moon live.

I missed them...I was so bumbed, but I have gone thorugh some things this year that happened right about the time I would have been able to see them...I really like their new CD. I have heard so many bad reviews and I just do not get it. I mean they are different than they used to be, but they are older. I am different than I used to be too...I would have loved to see them...

Peace,
Brenda

I saw REM on Sunday night. They were fantastic

I think this is what they played:

Finest Hour
Begin the Begin
The Wakeup Bomb
Animal
The Boy In The Well
Cuyahoga
Leaving New York
Drive
High Speed Train
I've Been High
The Outsiders
The One I Love
I Wanted To Be Wrong
Imitation of Life
Final Straw
Losing My Religion
Walk Unafraid
Life and How To Live It

Encore:
What's the Frequency Kenneth?
Sweetness Follows
Permanent Vacation
I'm Gonna DJ
Man On The Moon

The highlights included Michael Stipe introducing Charlie Mars and his band, Charlie Mars, dancing in the balcony, being called REM's second home, Stipe dedicating 3 songs to his friend Douglas Coupland (who was in the audience), Stipe talking about his parents (who were there too) and just about every song they played. I would have liked to have heard 'Stand', 'Everybody Hurts' and 'Radio Free Europe' but still it was a great great show

:dance: :dance:

Great show last night. Michael Stipe is a national treasure (and a sexy beast, I might add).

The show lacked the magic and passion that I remember from all the shows I saw in the 80s but it was still a great, solid show. It was special seeing them close up in a small venue.

Not nearly as good as Wilco, though, which I mention only because it's fresh in my mind and because Wilco opened for REM a couple of years ago and now I think they are the better live band.

Setlist was more or less like this, not in order, although I'm missing at least one, maybe two, songs. But it's just from memory:

Finest worksong
Begin the Begin
The Wake-Up Bomb
Coyahoga
Boy in the well
Electrolite
So. Central Rain
Imitation of Life
Walk Unafraid
The Great Beyond
High Speed Train
Animal
Losing My Religion
The One I Love
Leaving New York
Star 69
Life & How to Live It

Encore:
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
I Wanted to be Wrong
Permanent Vacation
I’m Gonna DJ
Man on the Moon

fah said:
I saw REM on Sunday night. They were fantastic

I think this is what they played:

Finest Hour
Begin the Begin
The Wakeup Bomb
Animal
The Boy In The Well
Cuyahoga
Leaving New York
Drive
High Speed Train
I've Been High
The Outsiders
The One I Love
I Wanted To Be Wrong
Imitation of Life
Final Straw
Losing My Religion
Walk Unafraid
Life and How To Live It

Encore:
What's the Frequency Kenneth?
Sweetness Follows
Permanent Vacation
I'm Gonna DJ
Man On The Moon

The highlights included Michael Stipe introducing Charlie Mars and his band, Charlie Mars, dancing in the balcony, being called REM's second home, Stipe dedicating 3 songs to his friend Douglas Coupland (who was in the audience), Stipe talking about his parents (who were there too) and just about every song they played. I would have liked to have heard 'Stand', 'Everybody Hurts' and 'Radio Free Europe' but still it was a great great show

:dance: :dance:

sweetness follows! how was that live?

bah. I didn't get I"ve Been High.. and i really really wanted it, too.

I was at their first show ever in my hometown of London ontario earlier this month.. it was a really good show but not quite mindblowing.

Walk Unafraid and Man on the Moon were definite Highlights.. don't remember the setlist exactly.. there was nothing from Reveal though, Losing My Religion, Finest Worksong, Rockville, What's the frequency kenneth, so fast so numb, cuyahoga, etc

There's so many songs that I might have rather heard compared to what they did play.. but i'm not bitter, it's just the problem of having so many albums I guess..

Back
Top Bottom