I really don't like Kraft Dinner - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:05 AM
the world could be saved with ramen noodles

Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Real mac and cheese is so much easier to make than a lot of people think. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but I don't make it often, and when I do, I usually mix in a bag of the frozen California blend veggies (broccoli/ cauliflower/carrots).

You can make the sauce in the time it takes the macaroni to boil. I usually make a whole box of macaroni, since it reheats well. Then just melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pot, add about 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until it turns into a paste. Then whisk in about 2 cups of milk (I use skim and it turns out fine). Add whatever seasoning you want (I add ground mustard powder and cayenne pepper) and 1-2 cups shredded cheese (freshly grated from a larger brick is cheaper and melts better than preshredded). Stir to combine and toss with the macaroni when it's done.

I usually make a little more sauce than that, since I like my mac and cheese on the saucy side. Add a splash of milk to individual servings when you reheat.

Now I'm going to have to make that this week

Old 03-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard
I don't know. It just tastes different to me. I think it might be the cheese.
The Canadian cheese mix is sharper, from what I hear (an example of a nation’s cheese being very representative of its people).

Kraft Dinner is the national glue that binds us. I haven't had a bowl in months, but every time I do, I adhere to a few rigid guidelines: First, boil KD in water for exactly 7 minutes. Anything less will simply result in undercooked pasta. Anything longer and you’ll end up with limp noodles (and nobody likes a limp noodle). Secondly, use a pinch of salt (it makes the noodles slightly more buoyant, and less prone to clumping at the bottom of the pot). Next, after draining, timing is crucial...after letting the margarine/butter melt, pour in the same amount of milk, and then quickly mix in the cheese before too much cooling of the mixture has taken place. Finally, use a bowl, never a plate. Only the demented use plates.

Also, as a personal preference, ketchup is a must ...along with a dash of black pepper. (If, however, you have company over, or you're entertaining people from outside of North America, just go with the pepper. They won't understand the ketchup thing, and strange international conflicts could develop.)

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

In other words, my present situation.

I just had instant oatmeal for supper.

Another starving African
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Don't North Americans cook?

I think the terrorists don't have much to worry about, all they need do is wait for Americans to eat Kraft Dinners and kill themselves all off. Easy!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Your food is a lot cheaper there.
It is isn't it?! I'm actually quite shocked by the difference. $0.44? That's about 22p right? You'd really struggle to even be able to afford a bag of crisps for that price here. You could probably afford a really, really, small and cheap chocolate bar though

But a ready meal? Forget it. In fact, for 22p your best bet would probably be a greengrocers. Forget the raspberries but it might just be enough for a single bannana or a small apple!

As for this KD stuff...er...I can't say it really appeals to me. Melted cheese over pasta I don't think sounds revolting but microwaved melted cheese over pasta does. I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump. Am I wrong?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

As for this KD stuff...er...I can't say it really appeals to me. Melted cheese over pasta I don't think sounds revolting but microwaved melted cheese over pasta does. I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump. Am I wrong?
You're right, it's not melted cheese over pasta. It's plain pasta with a cheese sauce (a packet of dry stuff mixed with either milk and margarine, or just water). It's actually quite runny, not thick or creamy at all.

I will make some Kraft mac 'n cheese later on and show you...
Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump.
It has at least 5 essential nutrients, and is a great source of protein

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
You're right, it's not melted cheese over pasta. It's plain pasta with a cheese sauce (a packet of dry stuff mixed with either milk and margarine, or just water). It's actually quite runny, not thick or creamy at all.

Mine is creamy. Sounds like you could have drainage issues, or perhaps too much milk? Another tip: when the mixture is prepared, leave it for a bit with the pot covered to increase congealing.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Mine is creamy. Sounds like you could have drainage issues, or perhaps too much milk? Another tip: when the mixture is prepared, leave it for a bit with the pot covered to increase congealing.
I hate it when it gets too congealed, b/c it feels really slimy and gross. If the noodles are sticking together, I don't like it. I use extra milk in the sauce. Also, I only eat spirals and it turns out far runnier than the microwave crap or the regular mac 'n cheese.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

This is how we do it....

You start with the $1 box o' Spirals

This is what the "cheese" comes in - it's a packet of orange powder.

You boil the spirals

Then drain 'em

And put these things plus cheese packet into the pan and melt

Voila!

Yes, I was very bored today
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Hi, my name is corianderstem. I'm 33 years old, and I really love a good box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. And I can polish off a whole box in no time flat.

I'm partial to the original type, but also like the spirals or the three-cheese kind. Anything that has noodles in shapes of cartoon characters or some lame thing will not do. They are inferior.

Any brand other than Kraft will also not do.

Save for a restaurant in West Seattle that specializes in comfort foods, I prefer Kraft over homemade macaroni and cheese.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

KD: probably not a good meal for the lactose intolerant (like myself).
Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
This is how we do it....

You start with the $1 box o' Spirals

This is what the "cheese" comes in - it's a packet of orange powder.

You boil the spirals

Then drain 'em

And put these things plus cheese packet into the pan and melt

Voila!

Yes, I was very bored today
No ifs, ands or Butter ...I love it! Pretty clever product name.

Your non-congealed spirals actually look quite delicious
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:35 PM
I've just taken Lies's post and emailed it direct to Al-Quada. They're just gonna sit tight and wait till everyone's keeled over from Kraft Dinner poisoning. Well, if that won't do it straight away the "minced onion" and the "No ifs, and or butter" will add that finishing touch...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:05 AM

I need some now.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
gotta say that Kraft mac and cheese will probably always be one of those foods that I will eat now and 20 years from now. whether it brings memories of childhood (one of my babysitters would always make that for us!) or just plain comfort food, I just love it.